Quantcast

¤ sunny day GMT ¤

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll never complain about lifts out here again. Ever.
a gondola car fell off the line at keystone years ago and killed 3 people

Same shit happens here. No chair deaths but lots of close calls and deaths by other means.

The bigger companies are just better at hiding the news. One benefit of all humans having cell phones and all cell phones having cameras these days.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Wait. the study groups E bikers only rode and average of 8.5 to 9.5 km per trip vs the "cyclists" that only rode 4.8 to 5.3 km per trip.

I think that even in my most slothful rides I do 20km in the dirt and 32km on the road

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wait. the study groups E bikers only rode and average of 8.5 to 9.5 km per trip vs the "cyclists" that only rode 4.8 to 5.3 km per trip.

I think that even in my most slothful rides I do 20km in the dirt and 32km on the road
The study is also based on riders from "several European cities" which also implies a higher proportion of commuters within the study population, especially when considering the average trip distances.

Also, based on the data it essentially states that when assess on a per distance basis (eg 1km) ebikers actually exert less energy / work less.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't really want to wade into the ebike chest thumping nonsense, but when I had my commuter ebike I found that I rode just as hard, and I just rode much faster over the same distance. The idea was to work less hard and to arrive at work not sweaty. Instead I arrived at work faster and sweaty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't really want to wade into the ebike chest thumping nonsense, but when I had my commuter ebike I found that I rode just as hard, and I just rode much faster over the same distance. The idea was to work less hard and to arrive at work not sweaty. Instead I arrived at work faster and sweaty.
If I had a safe route to ride to work (and a slightly more reasonable commute distance) I'd probably get an ebike for it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I very much like my Juiced RipCurrent S on my commute route, which is almost all on the Sand Creek Greenway.

Of course, then I'm also contemplating switching jobs, thereby ruining my commute. Unless I make it 100% WFH, hmmmm

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone have a set of old 165 cranks laying around? I can pass them on to the Stinkybike pool after the short guy using my loaner bike finishes with them, even...

I know some old Hussefelts or something are cluttering up someone's parts bin!

(160 is OK too!)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
just buy a e moto for fucks sake....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I very much like my Juiced RipCurrent S on my commute route, which is almost all on the Sand Creek Greenway.

Of course, then I'm also contemplating switching jobs, thereby ruining my commute. Unless I make it 100% WFH, hmmmm
A couple of three roles ago I had a 100% WFH job. It was fun at first but actually after a while it almost drove me nuts. I currently do about 50/50 depending on the week. Some actual social interaction is nice IMO.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That is talking about commuting, not recreational e-biking. Using e-bikes to get more people out of their cars is great!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
A couple of three roles ago I had a 100% WFH job. It was fun at first but actually after a while it almost drove me nuts. I currently do about 50/50 depending on the week. Some actual social interaction is nice IMO.
I have a wife, three kids, and regular music group rehearsals to make sure that I remain somewhat verbal.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That is talking about commuting, not recreational e-biking. Using e-bikes to get more people out of their cars is great!
Personally, I have found the same since I got my eeb. I ride further, faster, and come home differently smashed from normal mtb. It used to be very leg focused but now it’s much more whole body. Over the last two years my upper body has got much stronger. For the first few months it would be my arms that gave out first from so much more high-speed DH stuff (this was also due to by eeb being an enduro style bike, much more inherently capable than my previous trail focused bike). Cardio-wise the workout is less ‘spiky’, but I certainly still get a solid workout, and overall I am fitter for sure. The other reason is I simply ride ‘more’ now because it is that much more fun; more trails become truly fun trails so I am less fussy.