Quantcast

¥¥¥¥¥¥ Sunday GTM ßßßßßß

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My neck, shoulders and core are sore as hell right now, from the body work involved, and was panting during and afterwards for a while. Despite @Toshi's take, it's physical as all hell.
And that is the reason you need to do another type of exercise to get fit for karting. Lifting, riding bikes, etc.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
This is a stupid idea because you'll be doing nothing that's actually exercise. Lifting the cart off the stand doesn't count
I respectfully disagree, it’s actually quite physically demanding. Between the G forces and being thrown around on a bed frame with an engine, you’re wiped out after a 20 lap session. In my experience, the faster, the kart, the more physically demanding things are. A 125 shifter kart will wipe you out. I’m not talking about the electric karts at an indoor place but instead, a real outdoor kart track with grip on soft tires. When you are reviewing the x-rays of stoney’s ribs, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

@stoney do they run shifter karts at your track? If so, talk somebody into letting you take a few laps. I wouldn’t recommend starting racing in one though (my dumb ass made that mistake and I ended up going back to what I should’ve started with initially).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Wife forgot to tell me about a conference she was running Saturday, so instead of riding perfect dirt in perfect weather I policed a toddler from 5A to 7P. Today it’s pouring so no ride, but at least I got dragged to target to buy Christmas shit. I have Christmas shit.

Looking at the radio for the afternoon, looks to be about beer o’clock, not going to be doing anything else today

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so awesome, just got back from my ride. This was the first time since my work vehicle got rear ended my a semi 13 months ago that I have had full range of neck motion while on my bike. So nice to be able to look over my shoulder to check traffic.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went for a short hike with the girlfriend and the doggo.

This spot would be nice for biking, if not for the threatening paper put up by the conservation people, which went something "any activities performed on these trails that aren't in the list above will be charged with trespassing yadda yadda yadda...".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I respectfully disagree, it’s actually quite physically demanding. Between the G forces and being thrown around on a bed frame with an engine, you’re wiped out after a 20 lap session. In my experience, the faster, the kart, the more physically demanding things are. A 125 shifter kart will wipe you out. I’m not talking about the electric karts at an indoor place but instead, a real outdoor kart track with grip on soft tires. When you are reviewing the x-rays of stoney’s ribs, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

@stoney do they run shifter karts at your track? If so, talk somebody into letting you take a few laps. I wouldn’t recommend starting racing in one though (my dumb ass made that mistake and I ended up going back to what I should’ve started with initially).
He’s talking about doing one or two sessions per week. As his only activity.

And yes, I get it’ll be tough on one’s neck and upper body from g forces and that’ll wear you out, but that’s similarly not cardio.

weak heart, strong neck and grip. not a winning combination.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I was planning on starting 206 heavy's. Haley's on a 206 FA and I want to keep it same general platform.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
He’s talking about doing one or two sessions per week. As his only activity.

And yes, I get it’ll be tough on one’s neck and upper body from g forces and that’ll wear you out, but that’s similarly not cardio.

weak heart, strong neck and grip. not a winning combination.
How much cardio do I do now? None. How much physical activity in general? None. And you are really under rating how hard the cardiovascular work is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How much cardio do I do now? None. How much physical activity in general? None. And you are really under rating how hard the cardiovascular work is.
And this is why you should be biking. Or e-biking. Or hiking. Or skiing.

But not wasting every free weekend on carts.

IMO.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Serious question @stoney would you have enough time to give your daughter all the help she needs and prepping her equipment, if you then got your own cart to race with all that would require on top?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Serious question @stoney would you have enough time to give your daughter all the help she needs and prepping her equipment, if you then got your own cart to race with all that would require on top?
Should. A lot of it is prep - being ready the day prior. My parent's are getting her an extra set of wheels, so I don't have to swap tires on race day. I would likely do the same for myself. Weight requirements are consistent, so you shouldn't be off more than a few pounds, so that's just swapping a weight (1 or 2 bolts). Then fuel, of course.

The stuff like gearing should be determined the day prior in practice. Maintenance, etc all done prior. It's no different than a bike race. The only thing that will get you is damage. But if the damage is bad enough that it's not a quick fix, I can't fix it on the spot anyways.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
@stoney I’m not going to go on about the physical demands of driving one of these. However, if you’re spending time with your daughter doing something you both enjoy then the time, energy and money is well spent IMO.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tried hood over helmet to satisfy Jon and it sucked. Felt like a windsock

0EE4A912-CCBC-4983-A56B-616CDD78B3D6.jpeg

back to the tried and true

8966E565-2E64-4929-AF2D-C38FA43F463C.jpeg

e-biking is legit albeit light exercise

802035D2-0A28-42F6-BFFC-4316690FF38C.jpeg

B101ACBA-ED87-45B0-8C90-6364B5BA950A.jpeg

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
@stoney now I’ve been watching this kind of thing all evening. Going out for practice days in one of these again sure would be cheaper than track days in my car…..arrrrggghhhh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I aim for 105-120 bpm for most of my hours. So that’s exercise, yes.

context:

1A8CA380-0535-4777-A036-DF3B57EBC0AE.jpeg
FE90C092-B07B-467B-907A-65449D1E375B.jpeg

6.6 METs is exercise, to state the obvious. Moderate intensity starts at 3 METs for reference.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I aim for 105-120 bpm for most of my hours. So that’s exercise, yes.

context:

View attachment 185810View attachment 185811

6.6 METs is exercise, to state the obvious. Moderate intensity starts at 3 METs for reference.
dude, arguing that karting isn't "exercise" while admitting that your version of "exercise" barely meets the minimum technical definition of "exercise" isn't the flex you think it is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dude, arguing that karting isn't "exercise" while admitting that your version of "exercise" barely meets the minimum technical definition of "exercise" isn't the flex you think it is.
I realize that it's hard to keep concepts straight for you so I'll lay it out

1) Stoney doing 2 karting sessions per week holding his head and upper body straight in 1.5g is not exercise in any conventional sense, although he will have a sore neck.

2) Me doing 9 hours per week of sub-LT1 aerobic exercise is indeed exercise in the conventional sense.

If you like to pound away on the pedals at 180 bpm on your flat trails and bathe in lactate then more power to you.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I realize that it's hard to keep concepts straight for you so I'll lay it out

1) Stoney doing 2 karting sessions per week holding his head and upper body straight in 1.5g is not exercise in any conventional sense, although he will have a sore neck.

2) Me doing 9 hours per week of sub-LT1 aerobic exercise is indeed exercise in the conventional sense.

If you like to pound away on the pedals at 180 bpm on your flat trails and bathe in lactate then more power to you.
Great. Now I'm hungry for some lactate.

:D