Quantcast

¥¥• TGMT •¥¥

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Coffee before loading up for day 3 in 4 of skiing. Going up with Haley to get my ass handed to me again. Mary Jane side today, because who wants to waste time with "all the crowds on the easy side of the mtn". :think::rofl:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Ordered up a new chain and bash guard for the steed yesterday. Got the One Up per @StiHacka 's recommendation.

Need to go grab some fabric today so I can bust out the sewing machine and finish off my cat teepees.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
light snow falling. Rain and lots of it incoming for Thursday. Let's get fat!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thinking about buying new brakes for my bike but I have no idea what to get. I have had Formula for the longest but no distribution or support locally. I think for Denmark its Shimano or Sram if you want any kind of local support. I was thinking about XT or XTR but then I read about reliability problems.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Thinking about buying new brakes for my bike but I have no idea what to get. I have had Formula for the longest but no distribution or support locally. I think for Denmark its Shimano or Sram if you want any kind of local support. I was thinking about XT or XTR but then I read about reliability problems.
With 4 years on them, I've have had 0 problems with my XT brakes. In fact, I think the only brakes I've had an issue with in the past 10 years have been a pair of Avid Codes that swelled up and stopped working.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've heard really good things about the new hayes.

or you can put on your monocle and get trickstuffs

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Slow day, but it should be dry. That makes it a little better. It's been wicked dark and that just sucks.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have a set of XT 2 piston brakes that came on a used bike. As I am only running DOT brakes (mainly Formula :-)) I have no need for them. Lemme know.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There any tangible advantage to the Trickstuffs, other than phallic waggling? Initial glance, they look like a fancier Hope.
think of all the brakes on the market and all their shortcomings and known issues. now imagine if there was a brake that didn't have any of that, that's trickstuff. yes they are pricey yes there is a long lead time, but they are a no compromise brake.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There any tangible advantage to the Trickstuffs, other than phallic waggling? Initial glance, they look like a fancier Hope.
MOAR power baby!

That and they seem to be one of those few things in the bike industry that you could buy once and use them for the rest of your life. Though I'm sure there will be some new brake mount standard in a year or two.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
MOAR power baby!

That and they seem to be one of those few things in the bike industry that you could buy once and use them for the rest of your life. Though I'm sure there will be some new brake mount standard in a year or two.
the TS maxima is the most powerful brake on the market.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last time I fell into the monocle brake game, it was the worst decision of my life at the time. Hope mono 6 pot, braided SS lines and dangerboy lever blades with 2 piece rotors.

Worst fucking brakes I've ever owned.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Last time I fell into the monocle brake game, it was the worst decision of my life at the time. Hope mono 6 pot, braided SS lines and dangerboy lever blades with 2 piece rotors.

These brakes are actually of monocle quality. Its one of those products out there that doesn't have a single negative review, other than people pointing out the price or wait times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

the problem with your comparison there is that when those brakes were made, EVERYTHING sucked

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning! Waiting to hear if I officially need to quarantine ugh! May have been exposed last Wednesday. Out of an abundance of caution we are virtual for the next 2 days so google meets with my kiddos and some hanging out in my room until I know more.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Go check the 900 page thread over on the DH forum if you want to see people geek out over brakes. I've had similar good luck with my XTs, although they seem to get shittier as they get newer, and each set gets shittier as they get older. So, if you can get an older set and replace them after a couple years, then yay! Or something. I've had really good luck with Maguras and will slowly switch over all my crap to them when I feel like it. My XTs work a treat on trail, but in the shop there's a mystery bubble. I whinge over not being able to bleed it out, then it doesn't have much of an effect in the real world so I forget to order those Maggie MT Trails....

also, hi everybody! I need to get my SS gift out today- think I'll wrap the items first so it feels mo'special.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning! I swam this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks and it wasn't as awful as I expected. My replacement KICKR is due to arrive today...my third one in two years.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i, too, had decent luck with xt's, although i had the "need to pump them back up" situation after flipping the bike over. made for a few sketchy moments at the start of some rides the one or two times i forgot.

little bit of work today, otherwise, kinda just chilling out.