Quantcast

¥¥• TGMT •¥¥

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not to brag, but the same Hayes mags have been on my bike since 2001 with zero issues. Just saying.

I have had to change the pads a couple times.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
i've heard really good things about the new hayes.

or you can put on your monocle and get trickstuffs
Lol Trickstuff is crazy pricing.

Agree on the Hayes it's a long time ago I have seen so many positive reviews of a brakes.

@jimmydean maybe I need to go down in the basement and find my old pair of Purple Hays from my 2001 Kona Stab Primo!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My wife took the car to go visit her mom with one of our boys for the day. So I'm "stuck" at home with my other son. We've been playing Lego all morning. Haven't done that in forever, maybe not even with him yet. It's awesome.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
think of all the brakes on the market and all their shortcomings and known issues. now imagine if there was a brake that didn't have any of that, that's trickstuff. yes they are pricey yes there is a long lead time, but they are a no compromise brake.
Shortcomings that I can think of off the top of my head:

- difficult to bleed
- difficult to source replacement parts for
- fade on long descents
- lack power and/or modulation
- rotors warp and/or sound like a gangbang of turkeys in a dumpster tumbling down a wet hill

Perhaps they've cracked the code thats plagued every hydraulic disc brake manufacturers for the past 20 years, but its difficult not to be skeptical.

MOAR power baby!

That and they seem to be one of those few things in the bike industry that you could buy once and use them for the rest of your life. Though I'm sure there will be some new brake mount standard in a year or two.
You are right about the new standard making them obsolete, and that's a valid concern when you invest that much into a set of brakes. Being built to last a lifetime is moot if it's not designed to last a lifetime. I'd be awfully upset when my $1,400 brakes are useless in 5 years because Trickstuffs isn't around any more and their brakes used some proprietary gasket or o-ring that I can't buy through McMaster.

I was joking with @CrabJoe StretchPants (via text) about how the only standard that still seems to be standard are pedal threads, and how it's only a matter of time until we have press fit pedals, or pinch bolts on the crankarm, or they adopt Whitworth threading because it'll improve the pedal-crank interface stiffness by 4%.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I was joking with @CrabJoe StretchPants (via text) about how the only standard that still seems to be standard are pedal threads, and how it's only a matter of time until we have press fit pedals, or pinch bolts on the crankarm, or they adopt Whitworth threading because it'll improve the pedal-crank interface stiffness by 4%.
Dude keep those thoughts on the downlow! They might be listening.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
- difficult to bleed
- difficult to source replacement parts for
- fade on long descents
- lack power and/or modulation
- rotors warp and/or sound like a gangbang of turkeys in a dumpster tumbling down a wet hill
i've heard the TS aren't the easiest to bleed, but if you've bled brakes successfully before you should be able to do it. they don't use an olive/barb configuration either.

actual parts for the brakes do come from TS, but for pads they are the same shape as shimano, so you can source them easily in a pinch.

haven't heard of these fading.

the maxima model is the most powerful mtb brake on the market. the DRT's are close. good modulation by all accounts.

haven't heard of any complaints of rotor warping or squealing noise.

there are a few RM folk that have them, check the frankenbrake thread.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My biggest thing with brakes is making sure that I have enough spares to keep multiple sets running when the need arises. I was balls-deep in shimano for a while, so I have ferrules, olives, spacers, o-rings, etc. I've been a big fan of the maguras (zero hassles) so I want to switch everything over. Or, as much as possible. I wish road bikes were a little less proprietary, or I'd switch those over as well.

Trickstuff seems to be pure innernet bro-status items. They solve "every problem" except they cost 10x as much as a set of magura or shimanos, are impossible to find, and heaven forbid you break them in a wreck. I'm sure they perform better (they better) but it's one of those things like unno frames- are they $5k better than a similar frame or bike? Are you performing so well that you need that extra oomf? All the best riders ride whatever generic carbon crap their sponsor gives them because they'd be fast on a tricycle. An Unno or Directimasma is not going to make you faster....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Dude keep those thoughts on the downlow! They might be listening.....

If my legacy is as that one wanker who inspired the entire bike industry to change a standard that nobody had problems with and nobody was asking for, then so be it. I shall live on in infamy long past my expiration.

i've heard the TS aren't the easiest to bleed, but if you've bled brakes successfully before you should be able to do it. they don't use an olive/barb configuration either.

actual parts for the brakes do come from TS, but for pads they are the same shape as shimano, so you can source them easily in a pinch.

haven't heard of these fading.

the maxima model is the most powerful mtb brake on the market. the DRT's are close. good modulation by all accounts.

haven't heard of any complaints of rotor warping or squealing noise.

there are a few RM folk that have them, check the frankenbrake thread.
Not saying those are shortcomings of the TS brakes, just my perception of shortcomings in brakes as a whole. I, for one, have seldom had any brake related issues, but then again I'm a svelte 170 lbs and float through rock gardens like a water dancer.

I'll update this thread with my feelings when I'm able to get my hands on a set, in 2022. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not saying those are shortcomings of the TS brakes, just my perception of shortcomings in brakes as a whole. I, for one, have seldom had any brake related issues, but then again I'm a svelte 170 lbs and float through rock gardens like a water dancer.
Yea, i get that just commenting that i haven't heard of any actual performance issues on any of their brakes. basically TS designed their brakes as no compromise. Hence the price.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You can buy Patagonia second hand and pass on to the next kind and they repair for free. So it can make sense vs buy some made in china crap that you throw out the next year. We give away all the stuff that is still working the friends with younger kids and they are not too fancy not to appreciate it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You can buy Patagonia second hand and pass on to the next kind and they repair for free. So it can make sense vs buy some made in china crap that you throw out the next year. We give away all the stuff that is still working the friends with younger kids and they are not too fancy not to appreciate it.
yea, my daughter used the stuff my son had, and once she outgrows it we'll probably sell it

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Doing as @Nick and skipping long lines for main lift and just looping slower, shorter (barely) runs. 5 runs in, less than 1.5hrs.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Put a "trainer tire" on the gravel bike for "indoor virtual cycling" use and it makes a huge difference. So much quieter, and it seems more accurate. Neat.

Also looking to get a new wheelset for the gravel bike. The wheels on it aren't great (heavy and weak) so looking to pick up a used set of wheels for actual riding, then use the crappy wheels it came with for the trainer.

Also, found a FREE set of gen1 Sprinter wheels on CL that I am hoping to pickup later today. And a set of gen3 Sprinter wheels with Blizzaks mounted to 'em for not very much money. Also inquiring about these... looking to buy the cheap set of winter shoes, then have the tire shop move them to the correct rims, then sell the newer incompatible rims for probably nearly as much as I paid for them with tires on them. The Blizzaks are in "okay" shape, guy says they've got another couple of winters left in them. I should probably find out what the tread depth is before pulling the trigger on them. There is another dude with a set of 6 Blizzaks mounted to a Sprinter dually set of wheels, those only have like 5k miles on them so that's also and option.

...steeper bumps.

Put a "trainer tire" on the gravel bike for "indoor virtual cycling" use and it makes a huge difference. So much quieter, and it seems more accurate. Neat.

Also looking to get a new wheelset for the gravel bike. The wheels on it aren't great (heavy and weak) so looking to pick up a used set of wheels for actual riding, then use the crappy wheels it came with for the trainer.

Also, found a FREE set of gen1 Sprinter wheels on CL that I am hoping to pickup later today. And a set of gen3 Sprinter wheels with Blizzaks mounted to 'em for not very much money. Also inquiring about these... looking to buy the cheap set of winter shoes, then have the tire shop move them to the correct rims, then sell the newer incompatible rims for probably nearly as much as I paid for them with tires on them. The Blizzaks are in "okay" shape, guy says they've got another couple of winters left in them. I should probably find out what the tread depth is before pulling the trigger on them. There is another dude with a set of 6 Blizzaks mounted to a Sprinter dually set of wheels, those only have like 5k miles on them so that's also and option.

Wait, what is the Sprinter wheel set that you have?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My biggest thing with brakes is making sure that I have enough spares to keep multiple sets running when the need arises. I was balls-deep in shimano for a while, so I have ferrules, olives, spacers, o-rings, etc. I've been a big fan of the maguras (zero hassles) so I want to switch everything over. Or, as much as possible. I wish road bikes were a little less proprietary, or I'd switch those over as well.

Trickstuff seems to be pure innernet bro-status items. They solve "every problem" except they cost 10x as much as a set of magura or shimanos, are impossible to find, and heaven forbid you break them in a wreck. I'm sure they perform better (they better) but it's one of those things like unno frames- are they $5k better than a similar frame or bike? Are you performing so well that you need that extra oomf? All the best riders ride whatever generic carbon crap their sponsor gives them because they'd be fast on a tricycle. An Unno or Directimasma is not going to make you faster....
i currently have 3 sets of shimanos; 2 XT M785 and a pair of first gen saints. the saints are about indestructible (first gen were awesome). the 785s have known issues, mine personally are just starting to show their age, but i don't expect them to last forever (the one pair is starting to show the wandering bite point, but has only done so a few times). i want a brake that performs well and lasts a long time, and i'm willing to pay for it.

10x as much? your math is a little off there.