Quantcast

¥öhôhœ it’s Sunday and my hospital roommate is having his diaper changed GMT ßōòöü

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fat biked.

Didn't "need" studded tyres, but wouldn't have declined the option if I had it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
back from l'hopital, showered, shaved, and now sitting alone in our living room waiting for the big kid to return. Hoping my wife has an easy night as the neighbors may be getting set free

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Donuts at Urbanair. We made friends with a bday party that had leftover donuts, ftw. :thumb:

PXL_20230219_215309090.jpg

Haley raced adult karts today. By luck, all adult or teen league racers and me, so full speed (4/4) for all racers. Got 7 of 8 and was w/in .8sec of 1st and .4sec of me, so hauling ass. Wasn't super beat up strength wise either, so all the pushups (@SkaredShtles) are working.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
3rd day in a row at the climbing gym. Unbeknownst to me my wife invited 2 of my kids friends from school. It was their first time climbing but they really enjoyed it. Wound up being there almost 3 1/2 hours. Time for fondue.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just found out a small mountain range in NV we escape 4th of July to and ride dirtbikes all over on very obvious established trails was designated Wilderness as part of the National Defense Authorization Act signed dec 23 of last year. On big winters we ride sleds there.

I'm so sick of this shit....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just found out a small mountain range in NV we escape 4th of July to and ride dirtbikes all over on very obvious established trails was designated Wilderness as part of the National Defense Authorization Act signed dec 23 of last year. On big winters we ride sleds there.

I'm so sick of this shit....
Lease it to still gas...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Pinched a nerve behind my shoulder blade stretching my arms above my head in bed this morning. At least the fucking intense pain woke me up quickly. Pain is dull and fatigue-y now. I’d like to stop aging now, please, thanks, bye.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
???? :confused:
Can you Woosplain that for someone from Yurp?
Sucks, my condolences!
No legislation in the US ever gets passed by itself. Because endless propaganda.

So when someone really REALLY wants something to pass they pack it into bills that actually do like 12 things at once, often times completely unrelated.

In this case there was some land swapping with an old military base which was covered nearby to the mountain range I'm talking about. So the career wilderness grifter faction got 3 new mountain ranges designated Wilderness.

So no bikes, certainly no dirtbikes, definitely no snowmobiling, even though all of the above have existed there for years.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No legislation in the US ever gets passed by itself. Because endless propaganda.

So when someone really REALLY wants something to pass they pack it into bills that actually do like 12 things at once, often times completely unrelated.

In this case there was some land swapping with an old military base which was covered nearby to the mountain range I'm talking about. So the career wilderness grifter faction got 3 new mountain ranges designated Wilderness.

So no bikes, certainly no dirtbikes, definitely no snowmobiling, even though all of the above have existed there for years.
Thanks, that is really fucked up! :disgust1:
Is this something that can be reversed or fought?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
wHy Do YoU wAnT tO fIgHt SaViNg tHe WiLdErNeSs????
Freedom!

No seriously, the wilderness designation should be changed so that less-invasive recreation is still possible. How do you get acceptance for wilderness if you lock out the majority of people.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
50 degrees and clouds made for crap skiing weather. Decided to take the OEM tires off my bike and put on some freshies.
Thinking about new tires. Been riding an Assegai MaxGrip front and DHR2 MaxTerra rear DH casing. I'm rubber curious about those Kryptotal/Argotal.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Freedom!

No seriously, the wilderness designation should be changed so that less-invasive recreation is still possible. How do you get acceptance for wilderness if you lock out the majority of people.
There's been no wilderness reversal (which would require another congressional motion/legislation) since the original Wilderness act was signed into law. Like SS says, most people have no idea what the designation actually means. We have an entire mountain range in CA where no mtb trail will ever exist above 10k elevation, with mountains that go to 14k just because someone thought the most remote, inhospitable lands must somehow be protected from being 'overrun'. Now the belt notch peaks get over run with urbanites shitting all over an easily accessed trail to the top, and calling in rescues from altitude sickness :rofl:

Most of the large, long-standing designated areas were what was intended. The entire country was inventoried in the early 70s and truth be told, most of what was deemed suitable already is designated.

The act and its intent has been co-opted by a grifter cOnSeRvAtIoN non-profit movement that sells the idea of wild lands (which we have a lot of) to expensive donors when they move close to undeveloped land. It's literally a business that supports extremely well paying jobs selling the product of wilderness to big donors now. What was initially an idea to preserve some land FOR RECREATION from strip mining and clear cutting, has become a business model for rich people to give the illusion that they saved some animal that was never in danger, all while increasing the property values of the mansion they just bought in the mountains.

It's part of the reason I ride a dirtbike now. In and out of these places quicker than on an mtb. They never stop making new ones so much like most native peoples should do, treat lines on a map as lines on a map only for the people that drew them. The rest of us just have to ignore them. They ignore local people different from them when they draw these boundaries, so local people different from them should ignore the product.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Thinking about new tires. Been riding an Assegai MaxGrip front and DHR2 MaxTerra rear DH casing. I'm rubber curious about those Kryptotal/Argotal.
I've been a Maxxis guy since 2000 and won't be switching until I have a bad experience. I put on a Minion DHF MaxGrip and Highroller II MaxTerra.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
There's been no wilderness reversal (which would require another congressional motion/legislation) since the original Wilderness act was signed into law. Like SS says, most people have no idea what the designation actually means. We have an entire mountain range in CA where no mtb trail will ever exist above 10k elevation, with mountains that go to 14k just because someone thought the most remote, inhospitable lands must somehow be protected from being 'overrun'. Now the belt notch peaks get over run with urbanites shitting all over an easily accessed trail to the top, and calling in rescues from altitude sickness :rofl:

Most of the large, long-standing designated areas were what was intended. The entire country was inventoried in the early 70s and truth be told, most of what was deemed suitable already is designated.

The act and its intent has been co-opted by a grifter cOnSeRvAtIoN non-profit movement that sells the idea of wild lands (which we have a lot of) to expensive donors when they move close to undeveloped land. It's literally a business that supports extremely well paying jobs selling the product of wilderness to big donors now. What was initially an idea to preserve some land FOR RECREATION from strip mining and clear cutting, has become a business model for rich people to give the illusion that they saved some animal that was never in danger, all while increasing the property values of the mansion they just bought in the mountains.

It's part of the reason I ride a dirtbike now. In and out of these places quicker than on an mtb. They never stop making new ones so much like most native peoples should do, treat lines on a map as lines on a map only for the people that drew them. The rest of us just have to ignore them. They ignore local people different from them when they draw these boundaries, so local people different from them should ignore the product.
i would estimate that 75% of my favorite trails in pisgah are either wilderness or designated non-biking. the irony is that more bikers than hikers use them and they are maintained almost exclusively by bikers, except on a few where "helpful" people come in every once in a while and install useless drainage trenches and waterbars, which are usually gone in a year or two. bigger problem is that now some of the trails are legit and local clubs are "working" with the forest service to "make them more sustainable"....and you know what that means...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
What Wilderness area(s) are these trails in?

Out here it's no bueno to ride in Wilderness areas - Karen would surely call the manager.
mostly harper creek wilderness/grandfather district/pisgah. grandfather district in general.

one of my favorite things to do is replace the "no bikes" stickers on the signs with "no e-bikes" stickers :D

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Until the tree lovers sue the FS to manage the WSAs as WAs (like happened here 10 years) creating defacto wilderness, and closing Gallatin Crest Trail to bikes:

Pepperidge Farm Remembers / Thread drift from when I actually rode bikes :O

0001.jpg
0002.jpg
0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg
0007.jpg
0008.jpg
0009.jpg
0010.jpg