Quantcast

§¶° vendrediGMT°¶§

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Long work week, I'm looking forward to downing tools this afternoon and heading to Gunnison to race the Gunnison Growler tomorrow.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Working in a historic district with limited parking so our work trailer is 1/2 a block away, legally parked on a public street.
Church across street has been calling non-stop asking me to move it because they need the space for their services this weekend.

I call the woman back and inform her that it will be at least another week, likely thru next weekend as well.
She is not pleased, says she may have to call the police to have it towed so the old and frail can buy their way into eternity this weekend.

Me: Why they can't park in your lot.
Church: We don't have a parking lot.

Me: You don't pay taxes either, so why are you asking me to move off a public street again?
C: ....................

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dude i went to college with has been traveling / hiking / exploring extensively in western china (and i believe in nepal for a while, talking probably the last 6 months if not longer). apparently died in a hostel after a big hike, still waiting on more details. :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
dude i went to college with has been traveling / hiking / exploring extensively in western china (and i believe in nepal for a while, talking probably the last 6 months if not longer). apparently died in a hostel after a big hike, still waiting on more details. :(
Uh oh... that's not winning, sorry to hear that.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've had a good morning. I played hooky from work in order to secure a four day weekend. 75 mile bike ride followed a 3 mile run completed by noon today. Off to find sushi....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
View attachment 122481

Got into these a lil heavy last night. Definitely have to pay to play. It'd be easier to sit on the shitter if my back didn't ache like hell.
what do you call the variety on the left? they look an awful lot like those from the tree in my mom's backyard in France. That thing predates WWII, and produces the best cherries I've ever had. We call them Bigarreau Blanche...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
what do you call the variety on the left? they look an awful lot like those from the tree in my mom's backyard in France. That thing predates WWII, and produces the best cherries I've ever had. We call them Bigarreau Blanche...
Those are called Early Robin, which are similar to another variety called Rainer.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
there are no rox west of the Hudson River

good day all. rained last night, more rain moving in, wtf anyhow.
swapped a pickup in a guitar last night, after having a couple of beers, somehow wired it correctly.
Nick clearly hasn't ridden in North Jersey or PA :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That sucks.
A friend of mine caught the fucking plague in an Indian hospital while recovering from altitude sickness. Almost killed him.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@jonKranked Sorry to hear that.

Cut some more large branches out of the trail yesterday with the new saw. It's taking a little bit of practice to get the hang of it since it cuts on the pull stroke and can bind if forced on the push stroke. Also got the blade stuck and had to cut it out with a pocket knife until I could break the rest of the cut. 8" Maple is no problem, but I get more binding with oak and have to make several wedge cuts to get through larger material.

Removed one maple branch that was 20'+ and 8" diameter with several 2-4" branches that fell lengthwise across the trail. I was back on the bike in 26 minutes. Awesome tool for trail gnomes.

I now really want the Silky Katanaboy with it's 20" blade and xl teeth.

For size comparison, the one on the bottom is the saw I have.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
New shifter cable, bottom bracket and beer in hand.

Need to run to home depot to pick up a smaller bolt to press the bearings back into the frame and then it's bike building time. :D

Not sure if it's just me, but when beer is involved, building a bike always takes triple the time that I think it will. NTTAWWT

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Today was productive and I got a ton of shit done that required drivin all over town in a lot of traffic, also noted that gas prices went up 15 cents overnight and my tank was on empty. My last project for the day is removing the campy pedals from the road bike to see if I can use an old set of Shimano 959 pedals in their place. The cleats on my road shoes are shot and difficult to clip. SPDS never have this issue.

@jonKranked Sorry to hear that.

Cut some more large branches out of the trail yesterday with the new saw. It's taking a little bit of practice to get the hang of it since it cuts on the pull stroke and can bind if forced on the push stroke. Also got the blade stuck and had to cut it out with a pocket knife until I could break the rest of the cut. 8" Maple is no problem, but I get more binding with oak and have to make several wedge cuts to get through larger material.

Removed one maple branch that was 20'+ and 8" diameter with several 2-4" branches that fell lengthwise across the trail. I was back on the bike in 26 minutes. Awesome tool for trail gnomes.

I now really want the Silky Katanaboy with it's 20' blade and xl teeth.

For size comparison, the one on the bottom is the saw I have.

Yeah, I broke one blade on the push stroke - saw requires finesse in handling.

Cordless drill shit the bed today, had to buy a new one. Some of the help at Lowes are moronic.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
$4k/yr is a good lease price on a leather lined cocoon, Stoney.

Saturday night coming up here. Railroad museum was awesome. Rode the real Shinkansen back to avoid crowds, if only for two stops. Flying back to Denver tomorrow. Our house and the roads are going to seem enormous.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I never understood the absinthe thing. 'esplain.
What would you like to know?
First, you need to like the basic anise flavor. The stuff comes in the 150 proof range and isn't meant to be consumed right out of the bottle. It came from a era of impurities and less than ideal distilling methods, so it helped to blend it with water and a sugar cube. This is not unlike the origin of the cocktail; mixing booze with soda to tame the flavor of the rotgut.

My glass has a bulb in the base, which is meant to be a marker for how much absinthe to pour in. Once the water is added, it would be in the right ratio. The water is poured in slowly, over the sugar cube on the slotted spoon, which allows the cube to break down over the length of the pour, so it doesn't need to be stirred.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What would you like to know?
First, you need to like the basic anise flavor. The stuff comes in the 150 proof range and isn't meant to be consumed right out of the bottle. It came from a era of impurities and less than ideal distilling methods, so it helped to blend it with water and a sugar cube. This is not unlike the origin of the cocktail; mixing booze with soda to tame the flavor of the rotgut.

My glass has a bulb in the base, which is meant to be a marker for how much absinthe to pour in. Once the water is added, it would be in the right ratio. The water is poured in slowly, over the sugar cube on the slotted spoon, which allows the cube to break down over the length of the pour, so it doesn't need to be stirred.
I haven't drank absinthe, but I'm a big fan of pastis when it's really hot out. Some ice and 5-1 water to pastis and you're rocking. Really refreshing.