Quantcast

«±» thursd gmt «±»

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Are they amazing, or is it just another apple?
They are just another apple that happens to be pretty amazing. Thick skin, good crunch, good color. Flavor is tart up front but very sweet at the end the sugar tends to stay in the mouth for awhile. People think they look like a Rome and crunch like a honeycrisp. I am a fan.

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
They are just another apple that happens to be pretty amazing. Thick skin, good crunch, good color. Flavor is tart up front but very sweet at the end the sugar tends to stay in the mouth for awhile. People think they look like a Rome and crunch like a honeycrisp. I am a fan.
Interesting. Got sent some info on them earlier this this year as we are looking at new varieties to plant. Have you had any Envy and if so how do they compare?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Interesting. Got sent some info on them earlier this this year as we are looking at new varieties to plant. Have you had any Envy and if so how do they compare?
Yes we grow Envy. We will start picking them this upcoming weekend actually. The flavor of Cosmic Crisp resembles a Jazz or Pink Lady more than an Envy. The size is more like an Envy though. These Cosmic Crisp are pretty big apples, 80-72-64 sizes look to be pretty common. The CC will pick before Envy, it looks to be a good apple to fill the picking window hole left by all the Reds being pulled out. Also the CC looks like it will color up better than the Envy.

I don't think the royalties are structured as as intense as the ENZA program, for whatever that's worth. You are growing ENZA apples? Where are you located? Spain, right? We have Jazz and Envy but fuck that Pacific Rose noise... Theres a 'new' red Jazz being introduced around here that actually grows red Jazz rather than a bi-color apple that barely meets the color standards set by ENZA. Come to Yakima for "business" and I will show you the trails!

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
Yes we grow Envy. We will start picking them this upcoming weekend actually. The flavor of Cosmic Crisp resembles a Jazz or Pink Lady more than an Envy. The size is more like an Envy though. These Cosmic Crisp are pretty big apples, 80-72-64 sizes look to be pretty common. The CC will pick before Envy, it looks to be a good apple to fill the picking window hole left by all the Reds being pulled out. Also the CC looks like it will color up better than the Envy.

I don't think the royalties are structured as as intense as the ENZA program, for whatever that's worth. You are growing ENZA apples? Where are you located? Spain, right? We have Jazz and Envy but fuck that Pacific Rose noise... Theres a 'new' red Jazz being introduced around here that actually grows red Jazz rather than a bi-color apple that barely meets the color standards set by ENZA. Come to Yakima for "business" and I will show you the trails!
I’m a kiwi growing in Northern Tasmania. Currently about a 1/3 of our production is Jazz. but that will drop back once all the Envy we have planted comes on line.
We find the envy And Jazz colours well here unless you over crop the trees which is easy to do. Intense is one way to put the royalty structure on the ENZA varieties.
One of the place I worked in NZ had P Rose, P Queen and P Beauty. Queen was the better of the 3 but was still rather average.
We have been look at Ambrosia as well for some new plants but the royalty system is looking similar the ENZA varieties.

Would be keen for a “work” trip to the Yakima area. A mate from NZ has done a bit of work in that area and speaks highly of the place.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Every year I give my friend Jamies Dad my obligatory bottle of moonshine. Him and his friends go forth and sink Atvs and snow machines in the local Bay. This practice has officially ended.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@Kiwintas

Sounds pretty interesting, we have 2 Jazz Blocks and 3 blocks of Envy. The oldest Envy planting we have is in its 5th leaf. We are picking 80-100 bins an acre on V trellis. The Envy make up a large % of our farms income. It makes me nervous, as more and more Envy make it to market we are seeing the $ per box go down every year. The storability of Envy is still pretty unknown and internal browning is a major issue. I see NZ Jazz and Envy in our stores and I am disappointed with the amount of culls on the shelf.

Look at these NZ Jazz I saw a few weeks ago...

38359.jpeg

WTF!

I would like to visit NZ and tour the orchards, there are groups who go there every year I believe. Its always fun to see different growing regions!