Quantcast

®®®®®®®® Mondayzzzzz GTM °°°°°°°°°°°°

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Both boys are sick and they got me a little too with headache and lower energy. Not enough to turn off the computer but not heading to the office. My normal riding partner got okay from his boss to do a weekday daytime ride so we can ride during daylight which is a nice option during the long dark days of Danish winter where you normally start work in the dark and finish work in the dark.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Days is off to a nice start. Latte and a fire.

Now perusing the web for a new laptop.

Also ordered a 26T cinch chainring.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
33F here this morning. FTS.. Hooded down jacket is called for ..Need to order a small turkey. Wife ordered and had delivered ,Turkey breast for turkey day because as she put it, "That's the best part". Excuse me but you can have the damn breast meat I prefer legs , thighs and wings. so fuck it I'm getting my own bird.

Espresso then out the door

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What kind of laptop?
Something around 15-17 inches, need graphic processing power to run Adobe products and SolidWorks and such. Can't afford a true workstation so looking at gaming laptops. I like my Asus ROG, it's been really reliable. But now the screen hinges are broken and screen is flickering. It's a $200 fix.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Something around 15-17 inches, need graphic processing power to run Adobe products and SolidWorks and such. Can't afford a true workstation so looking at gaming laptops. I like my Asus ROG, it's been really reliable. But now the screen hinges are broken and screen is flickering. It's a $200 fix.
Y U no fix yourself? I did it a dozen times with my overcomplicated XPS. The hinges are cheap.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Y U no fix yourself? I did it a dozen times with my overcomplicated XPS. The hinges are cheap.
$200 is for parts. The screen harness also needs replacing.

Edit: it's an 8 years old laptop.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thinking about a new laptop too. I use this one just for surfing the web but the battery is dying. I should probably just spend the $50 on a new battery huh.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Decent weekend but now it's back to work. Woody came over yesterday to put the finishing touches on the spooky, but mostly it was an excuse to hang out, catch up, and drink the beer. Bike is just about ready minus a few finishing touches.

I have to head in to work and figure out how to fire or motivate this direct report of mine. I haven't had much luck looping in HR nor my boss as they provide advice that contradicts one another or kind of vague direction. Colleagues provide differing advice. I intend on leveling with him at this point and asking him "WTF" then following up with something written and firmer. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously but I've never considered firing a person before.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Up before the sun to try and put some meat in the freezer. Had a young buck come through at 25 yards, hopefully a more mature fella will come through looking for some tail.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Decent weekend but now it's back to work. Woody came over yesterday to put the finishing touches on the spooky, but mostly it was an excuse to hang out, catch up, and drink the beer. Bike is just about ready minus a few finishing touches.

I have to head in to work and figure out how to fire or motivate this direct report of mine. I haven't had much luck looping in HR nor my boss as they provide advice that contradicts one another or kind of vague direction. Colleagues provide differing advice. I intend on leveling with him at this point and asking him "WTF" then following up with something written and firmer. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously
You’re not taking it too seriously, the guy doesn’t show up for work. Ask him what on earth is going on and be prepared for a bunch of nonsense. If he has some personal stuff going on, he should probably relay that to you. Actually, he should’ve probably already done that.

Explain to him what is expected of him. Document everything.

I don’t mean to come off as a hard ass, but I’ve been through this many many many times.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Little snow. Need to order winter tires pronto.

Work.

Meh.

I have to head in to work and figure out how to fire or motivate this direct report of mine. I haven't had much luck looping in HR nor my boss as they provide advice that contradicts one another or kind of vague direction. Colleagues provide differing advice. I intend on leveling with him at this point and asking him "WTF" then following up with something written and firmer. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously but I've never considered firing a person before.
Have you tried getting your boss and HR in the same room/call and letting them go at it together?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You’re not taking it too seriously, the guy doesn’t show up for work. Ask him what on earth is going on and be prepared for a bunch of nonsense. If he has some personal stuff going on, he should probably relay that to you. Actually, he should’ve probably already done that.

Explain to him what is expected of him. Document everything.

I don’t mean to come off as a hard ass, but I’ve been through this many many many times.
Honestly that's the tact I'd like to take. When I speak to peers, they're like "Oh you can't take away WFH, etc." and I'm like "he needs to be working if he's WFH" and I'm at the point where I want him here 5 days a week until he can prove he's not fucking around, and WFH is a luxury not a right. We get paid well and are expected to deliver and I don't think that's too much to ask....he needs to get here and do the thing or go someplace else, but when I say that to some people they put it back on me, that I'm not "giving him enough to do" or that I need to micromanage him so that his days are full. In my mind, if I ask him to make a graph and I don't get that graph in a week, he's not doing his job.

Have you tried getting your boss and HR in the same room/call and letting them go at it together?
That's the next step and we're working on it. Takes a bit of coordination as everybody is busy and remote and etc.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Honestly that's the tact I'd like to take. When I speak to peers, they're like "Oh you can't take away WFH, etc." and I'm like "he needs to be working if he's WFH" and I'm at the point where I want him here 5 days a week until he can prove he's not fucking around, and WFH is a luxury not a right. We get paid well and are expected to deliver and I don't think that's too much to ask....he needs to get here and do the thing or go someplace else, but when I say that to some people they put it back on me, that I'm not "giving him enough to do" or that I need to micromanage him so that his days are full. In my mind, if I ask him to make a graph and I don't get that graph in a week, he's not doing his job.
I can't believe that anyone would push back on your mindset in this type of situation. Sounds incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: If someone tells you that you need to micromanage an employee they are crazy/likely inexperienced and no one I'd want to work for. Give people the training, tools and support they need and then get out of their way. If an employee is being micromanaged **to me** that's a sign of an issue.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Maybe its just me, but I'm only interested in taking mature deer. No sense in shooting yearlings, gotta let the next generation survive and prosper.
It appears that we have opposite problems. We have way too many deer here. One night, between the trail, parking lot and drive home I must have seen three dozen in an hours time. Every night is dodge a deer on the highway. And yes, after hitting one, they do make me nervous.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It appears that we have opposite problems. We have way too many deer here. One night, between the trail, parking lot and drive home I must have seen three dozen in an hours time. Every night is dodge a deer on the highway. And yes, after hitting one, they do make me nervous.
We have an overabundance of them as well, primarily in the eastern part of the state. Not enough places open for hunting to make a significant dent in the population, and no natural predators to do enough of that work either. Instead, it's left up to cars and people who want to give the deer birth control (no joke).

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
so what do reel to reel recordings sound like

View attachment 184793
My understanding is that when their good they're real good..........but it ain't worth $500 an album. I have a R2R player but the lack of available tape has prevented me from getting it refurbished.

EDIT: Do you know anyone in the area that works on vintage audio equipment?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My understanding is that when their good they're real good..........but it ain't worth $500 an album. I have a R2R player but the lack of available tape has prevented me from getting it refurbished.

EDIT: Do you know anyone in the area that works on vintage audio equipment?
nope...i just happened upon that ordering the vinyl version....did not know reel to reel options were offered.....audiophiles to thank i guess...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any CO people here ridden Ore Chute? It looks like a proper farked up trail..

warning youtuber trigger alert below. start at 9:56.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

The new trail at Maryland Mtn, the rest of the trails there are nothing to worry about. I know @Nick went to look at that trail a few weeks ago and noped out, he mentioned he was due to go back and try again.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Like 6th said I went to check it out when it was brand new. SO loose and dusty, and steep as heck, like 1,000' in 3/4 mile. I'll get back for certain victory, weather dependent.