Quantcast

°° gmt? Ok sure °°

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I bought a high value snowblower in 2017 during the gnarliest winter I've ever seen here for $450. Probably put about $3-400 in parts into it for repairs, and just sold it for $1200 during the middle of another 'winter of note'. I had 15 people trying to outbid each other on it and the guy who bought it gave me an extra 50 bucks just for holding onto it for a few hours. They're selling for double that right now.

Soon, we eat the tourists...... Shit gittin real out heya

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
He's gonna sell it to pay dad's medical bills.

:D
So, speaking of that. Wifey’s Dad is still in pretty rough shape in Orlando. Got a tracheotomy, feeding tube, and some other fun procedures and contraptions. He has only truly regained consciousness a few times, but is generally miserable when lucid for a few minutes. He did laugh at a Gaetz joke about counting up to 14, but that was it.
He is being flown back to West Hartford on a special medical flight…they still don’t know how much will be covered by insurance. (Could be north of $50-100K, we just don’t know.) Luckily that is just an inconvenience, but it is a big chunk.
Wife is a bit of a mess, the discussions are happening about how it ‘might’ have been better if he hadn’t survived, or if there is hope, etc, etc.
Her mom is frightened and lonely. Wifey will probably fly back for a while, just as her busy tax season starts.
I am working triple hard overtime to keep everything here at home good. Most parenting I have ever done, really, as far as basically solo. I have huge respect for single parents who do this all. the. fucking. time.
It’s a little lonely, but I am taking pride in being her rock when so many times, she was mine as I was foundering on the shoals.
Looking forward to having friends over this weekend, we gonna EAT.
Peace.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So, speaking of that. Wifey’s Dad is still in pretty rough shape in Orlando. Got a tracheotomy, feeding tube, and some other fun procedures and contraptions. He has only truly regained consciousness a few times, but is generally miserable when lucid for a few minutes. He did laugh at a Gaetz joke about counting up to 14, but that was it.
He is being flown back to West Hartford on a special medical flight…they still don’t know how much will be covered by insurance. (Could be north of $50-100K, we just don’t know.) Luckily that is just an inconvenience, but it is a big chunk.
Wife is a bit of a mess, the discussions are happening about how it ‘might’ have been better if he hadn’t survived, or if there is hope, etc, etc.
Her mom is frightened and lonely. Wifey will probably fly back for a while, just as her busy tax season starts.
I am working triple hard overtime to keep everything here at home good. Most parenting I have ever done, really, as far as basically solo. I have huge respect for single parents who do this all. the. fucking. time.
It’s a little lonely, but I am taking pride in being her rock when so many times, she was mine as I was foundering on the shoals.
Looking forward to having friends over this weekend, we gonna EAT.
Peace.
sorry man. hang in there.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, crazy true story, he choked on a Turkey sandwich in the Orlando airport during a layover. His lungs got infected, and it went way, way downhill from there. This was about three weeks ago, maybe even a month.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
And then, just to brighten you guys up more, my dad is in palliative care at the VA hospital in Syracuse, and was told recently he would never go home again. Next step: Hospice. FUN!
Luckily, he is an incredible man with an outrageous sense of humor, he is handling it like a champ.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So, crazy true story, he choked on a Turkey sandwich in the Orlando airport during a layover. His lungs got infected, and it went way, way downhill from there. This was about three weeks ago, maybe even a month.
similar to what happened to my dad last year-unknowingly aspirated food into lung, got an infection, it festered for a few months until he could barely walk around the house and ended up in the er. they still can't quite get rid of the abscess and he's too fragile for surgery. joker is 6'3" and his weight was down to 135# at one point...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fuck.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Actually slept last night, which is nice. "Teleworking" tomorrow, but as previously mentioned, sister in law is in town for the 4 day weekend. Uggh, the Frau and I are both dreading it. Hoping ot ski Monday...

#wishmeluck

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Youngest offspring was just accepted to Colorado School of Mines. Now to figure out how to get him to pick it. :D
Mine was all fired up to go to Mines after she did a STEM competition there a few years back. Now she will probably go to UCCS, which is nice on the wallet, but seems to be a bit under her ability level imho.
(She is smart, really smart, but not terribly motivated. Pulling a 3.9 without even trying, Pres of the NHS, huge scores on standardized tests, blahblahblah...)
Its all about the undergrad degree tho...once you have that (And are out of my house...is that terrible to say? Whatever...) you are on the road to grownuposity.

Still want her to apply elsewhere. Was fired up about Oregon, but that seems to have waned. Maybe I will take her to Boulder this weekend...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mine was all fired up to go to Mines after she did a STEM competition there a few years back. Now she will probably go to UCCS, which is nice on the wallet, but seems to be a bit under her ability level imho.
(She is smart, really smart, but not terribly motivated. Pulling a 3.9 without even trying, Pres of the NHS, huge scores on standardized tests, blahblahblah...)
Its all about the undergrad degree tho...once you have that (And are out of my house...is that terrible to say? Whatever...) you are on the road to grownuposity.

Still want her to apply elsewhere. Was fired up about Oregon, but that seems to have waned. Maybe I will take her to Boulder this weekend...
Having worked as an engineer for the past 15 years, I can say with complete confidence that the college you went to has little bearing on your competency or success. I've worked with state school folks that were 10 times the engineer compared to someone who went to a "prestigious" institution.

That said, people love to equate worth to an institution, though that doesn't seem to extend much beyond the Ivy League colleges.

Having worked as an engineer for the past 15 years, I can say with complete confidence that the college you went to has little bearing on your competency or success. I've worked with state school folks that were 10 times the engineer compared to someone who went to a "prestigious" institution.

That said, people love to equate worth to an institution, though that doesn't seem to extend much beyond the Ivy League colleges.
Ivy league colleges are swill tanks.

I hold that most folks would do better to work for four or five years after high school before essaying college.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ivy league colleges are swill tanks.

I hold that most folks would do better to work for four or five years after high school before essaying college.
Don't disagree, but that doesn't make it any less true. To much of the professional world, being associated with an Ivy League name opens up opportunities that more deserving individuals will be passed over for.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Now imagine having a degree from an university in the bum fuck of nowhere. :D

The fact that it is older than this country makes this even more ironic.

Also, all ivy league BSs I've met so far were underwhelming.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Mines - i did my MS and PhD there. Undergrad there seemed pretty miserable. Small, isolated and tons of pressure to “perform.” That said, the folks from mines that I’ve worked with profesionally have been rock solid engineers. Arrogant assholes to the last man, but good enginners.

Higher Education in general - did you all miss the memo that these places are about making / amassing money? They don’t give a fuck about your ejukayshun.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

Indeed. As a parent, and I am sure you know this, you just want to see the kid meet or exceed their perceived ability levels. She has dreams of cleaning the oceans and making a ton of $$ at the same time, and I only hope that I can assist in some humble way...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

When it comes to your education you get out what you put in and has little to do with the institution. However one thing that high end institutions have is connections, which in many ways determines your path just as much as what you know and how smart you are. Of course you have to have the personality to take advantage of those connections.

Also certain universities offer different opportunities, such as undergrad research that can be more valuable than a degree. So if you really know what you want to do it is important to find a place that has the opportunities that you are looking for.

But for 95% of the kids out there who aren't really sure what they want to do with themselves, just want to take classes, get a degree, yeah any decent school will do.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
@Adventurous and I went to college together, at the same time, with the same major, in a majority of all the same classes/professors. He was a way better student than I was.

I'm a way better engineer than he is.

:p