Quantcast

°Çö Mon dieu GMT öÇ°

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Yesterday did not suck. Practically no one on the mountain, conditions were fantastic, woman-child had a group lesson that wound up being a private lesson, and her skiing abilities increased exponentially. The wife is now officially our family skiing anchor. If woman-child continues apace, she'll be skiing with me this time next year. :weee:

*edit: Though, if you're ever in Poncha Springs, do yourself a favor and DO NOT eat here. Do you know how bad a burger has to be for it to suck after 7 hours of skiing?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
@Serial Midget , good luck!!

I stayed up for the whole foosball game and then some last night. Dragging my lazy ass out of bed at 5:15 this morning to go swim was rough going. I am glad I banked up some sleep Friday and Saturday nights. I actually had a really good swim, so I am glad I didn't blow it off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
YEP. Going in for surgery this morning so see you guys in about a week. Hope I don't miss the Super Bowl...

Good luck with your sexual reassignment!

Rode yesterday and sealed up some cracked weatherstripping that was causing roof leaks around a skylight. Good times.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hello everyone. Hopefully your Monday is a great one!

This week's poop flinging has already started. My office phone was going crazy before I even had a chance to take my jacket off. Then, I get an email from the supervisor who forwarded issues reported by another dude, at another building. Being me, I have no problem trying to help out, so I ask for more information on the problem; but I refuse to start working on problems if I'm not given the most basic of information about the problem. Yeah guy, I know there is a problem, but you need to tell me what the problem is, who is having etc etc.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Another snowmageddon scheduled for this afternoon/evening/night, yawn. Looks like riding options will be limited tonight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was having problems getting my work email to sync up this morning. Turns out the problem was a few hundred reply-all emails regarding the superbowl, including one not so thinly veiled racist statement from the owner. I hate this fucking place.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Mornin monkeys. sorta uneventful weekend. went to a friend's backyard rink/winter festival party for kids yesterday evening, which was totally fun. Other than that, no outdoor play. Snow was not conducive to xc skiing.

I'm now beginning to think I'm going to have to acquire a fat bike. half my riding buddies have one, and they've been getting out on a regular basis. I much prefer xc skiing (backcountry), but it's so dependent on good conditions. I could get skate ski equipment for a quarter of the price of what a fat bike would cost. But none of my regular crew skate skis. and skate skiing is kinda similar to road biking... so I'm not sure what to do. fat biking really doesn't do it for me. I've tried it 2x, so I'm not totally talking out my arse, but it has none of the aspects of "real" mountain biking that I like: gnarly rock gardens, pumping and popping off little lips and jumps, and especially bar-dragging cornering.... but if the choice is between not getting out at all, and hanging out with my buds (whose fitness is really getting much better as a result of biking year-round).... I guess a couple of grand ain't too much to pay. I'll try to borrow some skate skiing equipment first, and see how that goes...

Otherwise I ran in to work today via drop-off at daycare. managed to pull/strain something in my calf. had to spend 5 minutes stretching before I could hobble the rest of the way to the office. fuck this old body! I need a new, younger one.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Turns out the problem was a few hundred reply-all emails regarding the superbowl, including one not so thinly veiled racist statement from the owner. I hate this fucking place.
Sounds like a well documented example of a hostile work environment. $$$

Good morning, sort of. Still shaking off the Ebloaidzika and generally cranky.
Off to the office to spread the disease.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. We deposited the elder kid in bed with us: fever of 102+, pinkeye bilaterally, goopy snot every few minutes, and therefore not much sleep at all for anyone. Then the baby decided that this would be a good night to wake up, not eat, and then just scream for a solid half hour before returning to sleep. Teeth? Who knows? Babies are a mystery.

I'm somewhat looking forward to being a recluse in my office today, in other words. (Research day.)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
fat biking really doesn't do it for me. I've tried it 2x, so I'm not totally talking out my arse, but it has none of the aspects of "real" mountain biking that I like: gnarly rock gardens, pumping and popping off little lips and jumps, and especially bar-dragging cornering.... but if the choice is between not getting out at all, and hanging out with my buds (whose fitness is really getting much better as a result of biking year-round).... I guess a couple of grand ain't too much to pay.
You can get one under a grand from some mail order brands. Or, there is a stream of fatbikes for sale all over bike classifieds groups on FB.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Never eaten at that place, but I'll add this place in Salida. One of the worst meals I've ever had. Not what we wanted after an epic day on Monarch Crest.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boathouse+Cantina/@38.5376603,-105.9914795,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x7adc98daf6e2f399]
Noted, I'll add it to the list. What is it about restaurants in the Arkansas River Valley? Ever eaten at Casa Del Sol in Buena Vista? Worst restaurant of any kind I've ever been in, followed distantly by the place we eat yesterday. I'm left to assume that these places survive on tourist traffic, because surely nobody local eats at these places more than once.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Weird weekend. Saturday I did a big Ski outing - 12 miles out and back to a lake, and then yesterday I took my cyclocross bike out on a pre football ride. SO nice to be outside.
3creeks.jpg
superbowl.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll say that The Fritz, just over the road from the tourist trap boathouse cantina, was great. We ate there a couple of times.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@slyfink You could always find different peeps to skate with.
yes, this is entirely true. where I am has one of the best skate skiing networks in North America... from what I'm told... and quite a few of my other buddies skate ski as well. just not my "core" group. I guess it's worth giving it a shot...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Morning!

Took a sick day. I used to go into work like this, but then I realized that nobody cared about your "dedication to the job". It's just inconsiderate. Now I just stay home so nobody else has to wallow in misery.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got to go see my neurologist's PA this morning. Kind of annoying that when nothing is wrong, that I still need to go see the doctor once a year to get my prescription renewed. Do they not think that I would know if something was wrong? Generally if something is not working for me, I have a seizure. Very black and white as to whether things aren't good.

Otherwise, work. Hoping to get some time on the trainer tonight. I need a new movie though...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
So far this morning I've managed to do no actual research but instead have come up with meta-research: a list of what projects I have going on at the moment. (I have a CV review meeting with the chairman and a few others on Wednesday.) Apparently I will be 9 publications richer* by the end of this upcoming academic year, in June 2017.

* I don't get paid per publication, per se, but I need a certain number of publications to get promoted. Promotion brings with it a pay bump.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Two comments on that illustration:

1) With the swell of the thigh beginning that low as compared to where her butt should be based off of her waist that'd be a badonkadonk and a half. Not really in line with rest of it.

2) That sure looks like they just put the letter X around her ankle. Not sure why?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Two comments on that illustration:

1) With the swell of the thigh beginning that low as compared to where her butt should be based off of her waist that'd be a badonkadonk and a half. Not really in line with rest of it.

2) That sure looks like they just put the letter X around her ankle. Not sure why?
Gave her an arm tatteu teu.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
yes, this is entirely true. where I am has one of the best skate skiing networks in North America... from what I'm told... and quite a few of my other buddies skate ski as well. just not my "core" group. I guess it's worth giving it a shot...
Shouldn't be one or the other. Usually when snow is good it's time to break out the BC skis, when it's hard and crusty time to bike! Bombing down 2 foot wide trails somewhat out of control is wicked fun IMHO. Skate skiing, meh, really is like road riding...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Massive pileup on the freeway after work tonight. I don't understand these 'tards. Its not like this was in the city, but out in farm country where you're only job while driving is to go straight and attempt to maintain your speed. I counted at least 7 tow trucks that blew by me on the shoulder and saw at least 4 wrecked cars all over the place.

Drive safe and watch out for idiots...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Massive pileup on the freeway after work tonight. I don't understand these 'tards. Its not like this was in the city, but out in farm country where you're only job while driving is to go straight and attempt to maintain your speed. I counted at least 7 tow trucks that blew by me on the shoulder and saw at least 4 wrecked cars all over the place.

Drive safe and watch out for idiots...
I anxiously await our self-driving robotic overlords...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Mornin monkeys. sorta uneventful weekend. went to a friend's backyard rink/winter festival party for kids yesterday evening, which was totally fun. Other than that, no outdoor play. Snow was not conducive to xc skiing.

I'm now beginning to think I'm going to have to acquire a fat bike. half my riding buddies have one, and they've been getting out on a regular basis. I much prefer xc skiing (backcountry), but it's so dependent on good conditions. I could get skate ski equipment for a quarter of the price of what a fat bike would cost. But none of my regular crew skate skis. and skate skiing is kinda similar to road biking... so I'm not sure what to do. fat biking really doesn't do it for me. I've tried it 2x, so I'm not totally talking out my arse, but it has none of the aspects of "real" mountain biking that I like: gnarly rock gardens, pumping and popping off little lips and jumps, and especially bar-dragging cornering.... but if the choice is between not getting out at all, and hanging out with my buds (whose fitness is really getting much better as a result of biking year-round).... I guess a couple of grand ain't too much to pay. I'll try to borrow some skate skiing equipment first, and see how that goes...

Otherwise I ran in to work today via drop-off at daycare. managed to pull/strain something in my calf. had to spend 5 minutes stretching before I could hobble the rest of the way to the office. fuck this old body! I need a new, younger one.
:rockout:

If I were you, I'd go for the fat bike and keep riding. I kind of see Fall with the trails covered with leaves to be the end of bar dragging season anyway. I have to back off a bit in the corners or eat shit. So in Winter, riding can be more about maintaining your fitness so you don't totally suck wind come Spring. And my guess is that a fat bike as goofy looking as they are, are probably more fun than a road bike.