Quantcast

°•○●□tuesday gfmr■□●○•°

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Question for other parent monkeys... my 12 year old son seems interested in Roblox and Discord. I don't know much about them, and did a bit of "my own research", but didn't find anything particularly worrying. They're both opportunities to interact with other people online.

talked to him about being safe (never tell anyone where you live or where you're going to be at any given time, and don't even think of buying anything - your mom and I will notice it on our credit cards!). We also talked about hate speech and misogyny - that people don't have filters when they interact online, so it can be tempting to jump in or pile on, but that they can still have real, severe and lasting impacts on people, so don't be a dick.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what more I can do. I guess continue monitoring and encouraging discussion... Are there any particular issues with those sites? He hasn't really ever been active with online multiplayer games (he has Minecraft, but doesn't play with other people), so I don't know how savvy he is wrt the pitfalls of the cybersphere...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey man. I swam 2500 yards early this morning. I haven't swam much since my Ironman and I was feeling it. Glad I got that done though.

I am taking Friday off from work and we're looking at 2" of rain. Swell.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
The bossman wanted us all to go out after work on Wednesday as a farewell before the holiday, and to buy us a round of drinks. Someone complained and asked if we could just have coffee in the office instead. Asshole coworkers would rather sit and stare at one another in a conference room than enjoy a free beverage of choice in a non-work setting.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Out early for le fatbike.
Broken dog is getting better.
Now heading out for solstice donuts delivery.
:wave:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Question for other parent monkeys... my 12 year old son seems interested in Roblox and Discord. I don't know much about them, and did a bit of "my own research", but didn't find anything particularly worrying. They're both opportunities to interact with other people online.

talked to him about being safe (never tell anyone where you live or where you're going to be at any given time, and don't even think of buying anything - your mom and I will notice it on our credit cards!). We also talked about hate speech and misogyny - that people don't have filters when they interact online, so it can be tempting to jump in or pile on, but that they can still have real, severe and lasting impacts on people, so don't be a dick.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what more I can do. I guess continue monitoring and encouraging discussion... Are there any particular issues with those sites? He hasn't really ever been active with online multiplayer games (he has Minecraft, but doesn't play with other people), so I don't know how savvy he is wrt the pitfalls of the cybersphere...
my kids aren't quite at that age yet, but i think you're taking the right approach. a lot of this holds true for the internet in general

• they might hear mean things, bad words, etc. it's not just a matter of not having filters, but people say that kind of stuff when they know they won't get in trouble for it, or any consequences would be minimal. tell your kids they can always just turn the game off.
  • people aren't always who they say they are.
  • if something seems fishy, it probably is
  • if something seems too good to be true, it probably is
  • encourage him to talk to you if he's not sure about something
  • you just lost the game

the internet can be a great tool to learn about things and connect you with others that have similar interests. sucks that we have to deal with all this nonsense nowadays.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
1TB iPhone 14 pro max has been finally procured and restored via iCloud, I have 87 gigs worth of backup data, literally took 4 hours. Successfully tested the satellite messaging /tracking function and it seems significantly faster and easier than my garmin inreach mini but nowhere near the same functionality. Either way good to have two devices when needed.

in other news, panniers and parts arriving tomorrow may get my on the road to Cabo by Thursday

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
1TB iPhone 14 pro max has been finally procured and restored via iCloud, I have 87 gigs worth of backup data, literally took 4 hours. Successfully tested the satellite messaging /tracking function and it seems significantly faster and easier than my garmin inreach mini but nowhere near the same functionality. Either way good to have two devices when needed.

in other news, panniers and parts arriving tomorrow may get my on the road to Cabo by Thursday
i saw the new bike on fb. how pumped are you?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

No experience with Discord, but my kids play Roblox on occasion. There have been a few instances of some inappropriate comments being made to one of my nieces, and one of my oldest daughters' friends. Our kids are allowed to play it on the condition that they keep the chat function disabled. We've had the discussions about the benefits of the internet, but also about how it's an absolute cesspool, and mostly filled with garbage.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

my kids aren't quite at that age yet, but i think you're taking the right approach. a lot of this holds true for the internet in general

• they might hear mean things, bad words, etc. it's not just a matter of not having filters, but people say that kind of stuff when they know they won't get in trouble for it, or any consequences would be minimal. tell your kids they can always just turn the game off.
  • people aren't always who they say they are.
  • if something seems fishy, it probably is
  • if something seems too good to be true, it probably is
  • encourage him to talk to you if he's not sure about something
  • you just lost the game

the internet can be a great tool to learn about things and connect you with others that have similar interests. sucks that we have to deal with all this nonsense nowadays.
No experience with Discord, but my kids play Roblox on occasion. There have been a few instances of some inappropriate comments being made to one of my nieces, and one of my oldest daughters' friends. Our kids are allowed to play it on the condition that they keep the chat function disabled. We've had the discussions about the benefits of the internet, but also about how it's an absolute cesspool, and mostly filled with garbage.
:stupid:

That's about the best you can do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i know some games have age filters for online play to help keep this issue down, but it can only be so effective.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Haley is getting into Roblox with her friends. There are some hard fast rules about it - no interactions with people not in her friend group, and I know who they are ,etc. Discord is a hard no-go.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haley is getting into Roblox with her friends. There are some hard fast rules about it - no interactions with people not in her friend group, and I know who they are ,etc. Discord is a hard no-go.
does roblox let you set up private servers? when i got into online gaming in high school that's what we did

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Discord is like reddit, anything goes really. It's just more private.

Not that I have much input, but I'd say also make sure in-game purchases and whatnot are also controlled.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
why is that?
While you have some aspect of control, you never truly know who is in the chat. If you even listened to a headset chat with a bunch of groms playing, holy shit - usually gets brutal and racist if it gets out of their little group from school.