Quantcast

°•○●□tuesday gfmr■□●○•°

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Question for other parent monkeys... my 12 year old son seems interested in Roblox and Discord. I don't know much about them, and did a bit of "my own research", but didn't find anything particularly worrying. They're both opportunities to interact with other people online.

talked to him about being safe (never tell anyone where you live or where you're going to be at any given time, and don't even think of buying anything - your mom and I will notice it on our credit cards!). We also talked about hate speech and misogyny - that people don't have filters when they interact online, so it can be tempting to jump in or pile on, but that they can still have real, severe and lasting impacts on people, so don't be a dick.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what more I can do. I guess continue monitoring and encouraging discussion... Are there any particular issues with those sites? He hasn't really ever been active with online multiplayer games (he has Minecraft, but doesn't play with other people), so I don't know how savvy he is wrt the pitfalls of the cybersphere...
My kids play roblox sometimes. They also played minecraft, usually solo. We tried minecraft online on the reddit server but of course everybody started swearing...

As for roblox, they play with the chat off and there's no voice chat so it's pretty easy for them to just goof around. I started hovering but never saw a negative interaction so I wasn't worried. She would facetime with a friend while they would play, and honestly the friend was a bigger shitbag than anybody else. I think Discord can be limited to the friends that are in the channel, so that should be appropriate to their age. Keep an eye on them for a while and see the interactions, then go from there. I've been very satisfied with the safety on roblox as I started with the same concerns.

They also play fall guys which is fun.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello peoples

snauing in Seattle it is

family venturing out to Safeway imminently. I shall travel down the hill to Costco once they return

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Present, accidentally 6 bottles of whiskey last night when the wife sent me to the market to get cupcakes for the kiddos class, damn grocery store tempting me with good deals and discounts when buying 6.

The bossman wanted us all to go out after work on Wednesday as a farewell before the holiday, and to buy us a round of drinks. Someone complained and asked if we could just have coffee in the office instead. Asshole coworkers would rather sit and stare at one another in a conference room than enjoy a free beverage of choice in a non-work setting.

Coffee in the office during work hours > Free booze with office people during non-work hours. Even if it's instant coffee vs top shelf hooch, I side with the asshole coworkers here.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Coffee in the office during work hours > Free booze with office people during non-work hours. Even if it's instant coffee vs top shelf hooch, I side with the asshole coworkers here.
I get the sentiment, but in this case asshole coworker is a genuine asshole. Without fail, every time bossman tries to do something nice for his group, she complains and asks for something different. For the most part the folks in my work group get along and spending an hour or two unwinding together before a holiday is not a bad thing.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Nothing super interesting since it was Alberstons

Needed a fancy-ish gift so Basil Hayden, not my favorite but that copper band is fancy as fuck, then Sagamore Rye, Four Roses single barrel, Larceny, Eagle Rare and Monkey Shoulder
It's always good to have a large volume of "pretty good, but not super fancy/expensive" whiskeys around. Eagle rare competes with Buffalo Trace as a "daily drinker" bourbon for me. I prefer Eagle Rare, but BT can be found pretty much anywhere. Agreed on the Basil Hayden's. It's not bad, but it's pricey for what it is.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I get the sentiment, but in this case asshole coworker is a genuine asshole. Without fail, every time bossman tries to do something nice for his group, she complains and asks for something different. For the most part the folks in my work group get along and spending an hour or two unwinding together before a holiday is not a bad thing.
Send a new "meeting invite", accidentally misspell her email? :D

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode before the sunset, so that was nice. Bought a bunch of heavily discounted premium cuts, that was also nice. I might clinch my outdoor in-the-saddle mileage goal for this year tomorrow, that would not be bad either.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I suppose it depends on weather attendance was required, stated as such or just implied. I've worked plenty of places where you can forget advancement if you don't want to pal around with your coworkers after hours, and that's some bullshit. The middle ground is to do said unwinding during what would otherwise be work hours.

3 jobs ago I caught hell for not planning to attend the Christmas party, was planning on putting in my notice (4 instead of 2 weeks) the week of the party and didn't feel like it was even right to attend, on top of just flat out hating both the company and the restaurant it was being hosted at. I did the right thing and showed up, being a manager I was expected to say a few words after dinner to motivate the crew, so that's when I gave my notice. I'm not sure they felt motivated, nobody really talked to me the following couple weeks.

Whiskey from the grocery store?!? What a world!! :D
There are places, in the year of our lord 5783, that do not have such luxuries. What the hell was the point of winning the cold war if we're still forced to buy booze at overpriced state liquor stores?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Stick a fork in me, I'm done... it took me an hour to go through 3 rotations 20 reps each except for squats where I did 50 with 120 pounds of weight. pull downs, bench press, curls, rows, up right rows, kettle bell flys, leg extensions, and leg curls. My arms are shaky. can hardly hold my beer.. las 4 reps of each set of reps was fucking killing me. Middle rotation I added 10 pounds to everything what the fuck was I thinking

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I suppose it depends on weather attendance was required, stated as such or just implied. I've worked plenty of places where you can forget advancement if you don't want to pal around with your coworkers after hours, and that's some bullshit. The middle ground is to do said unwinding during what would otherwise be work hours.

3 jobs ago I caught hell for not planning to attend the Christmas party, was planning on putting in my notice (4 instead of 2 weeks) the week of the party and didn't feel like it was even right to attend, on top of just flat out hating both the company and the restaurant it was being hosted at. I did the right thing and showed up, being a manager I was expected to say a few words after dinner to motivate the crew, so that's when I gave my notice. I'm not sure they felt motivated, nobody really talked to me the following couple weeks.

There are places, in the year of our lord 5783, that do not have such luxuries. What the hell was the point of winning the cold war if we're still forced to buy booze at overpriced state liquor stores?
That is a great story. I like how you did the right thing,and had the Balls to let um know.

There are a few people that come in our lives that you can be good friends off work,I am a Lucky one. For most, this is not the case. Never mix Busines with Pleasure. Never Promise, and Never say Never. I have tried todo my best with all these. It is not easy.

I want to get away from you,it has been 9 hrs and Many Years. Dam near Half our Life together,and you want to go out? Sweet Dreams.

Avy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
cover of a 9 inch nails song

I'm part indigenous American, as such I really dislike doing the Thanksgiving thing. I worked for a small company where I was told by the owner that I had to attend the company Thanksgiving dinner at his house if I still wanted to have a job in the morning. I showed up. Then the asshole made us stand up one at a time and say to the group what we were thankful for. I stood up looked him in the eyes and said I'm thankful that you white folk did not kill off all of us indigenous peoples. I thought his head would explode. The General Manager snarfed and later came up and said " that was mother beautiful" ( he hated the owner too).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Kitty got a clean bill of health on her yearly checkup. She screamed bloody murder on the way home. She has Plaque on her teeth. Bombays are susceptible to gingivitis.