Quantcast

°•○●turdsday gfmd●○•°

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
be weary of the ADHD tests on such a young child. Or at least mindful of the shortcomings. As you know, the tests are scored on a bell curve for 'normal' development at a given age. The more data points, the more accurate the test results, and the more useful the outcomes. What I discovered when we had our son tested at 6 (or maybe 7), is that there is very little data for that age category. So there was a lot of "well, he tests low here... and that could be down to many different factors, we can't be sure what the cause is and how to address the issue"... I discovered that it isn't till grade 3 that you get enough data points to really be able to make use of the diagnosis.

On the other hand, having the diagnosis is a tool you can take to the school/teachers and explain your kids' needs, and not have them mislabeled with unhelpful labels (such as "problem child" for example)...

either way... good luck.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Always. And the house feels so big coming back from a trip.
Wife and I always marvel at how we lived for 1.5 years with 3 dogs in 100 sqft quarters. Amazing how little space you need when your lifestyle is designed for it.

I always tell her I could get along just fine with 800 sqft of well planned living space. So long as it has 2000 sqft of shop space attached. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy peoples

WFH today and tomorrow. dropped off my Baby Aya via the cargo bike and shall pick her via the same. and maybe also make a Costco run on said cargo bike at mid day if I'm caught up on my personal work list.

tomorrow will be a car-type day, as we're going from 70F yesterday to snowstorm tomorrow, because Denver.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Back from a week off work and I forgot how much I hate coming back to a full in box of email.

Managed to go see the second to the last Skinny Puppy concert ever on Monday. My good friend is their guitarist and I had never seen him perform with them so I had to get to that show.

Lots of stuff rattling around in the brain these days. Scrolled through my phone looking for someone to talk to about certain “stuff” and felt like I couldn’t find the right person for that variety of “stuff.” It was only a little depressing, but I managed to hold off on fixing it with retail therapy. Though I might buy expensive shit today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lots of stuff rattling around in the brain these days. Scrolled through my phone looking for someone to talk to about certain “stuff” and felt like I couldn’t find the right person for that variety of “stuff.” It was only a little depressing, but I managed to hold off on fixing it with retail therapy. Though I might buy expensive shit today.
is this stuff hanging yourself from meathooks or what

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
is this stuff hanging yourself from meathooks or what
I wish. I’d love to hang again but the risk of autonomic dysreflexia triggering a stroke on top of already being partially paralyzed has kept my feet on the ground.

This stuff is more “what does it all mean?” kind of stuff. Midlife existential nonsense.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I wish. I’d love to hang again but the risk of autonomic dysreflexia triggering a stroke on top of already being partially paralyzed has kept my feet on the ground.

This stuff is more “what does it all mean?” kind of stuff. Midlife existential nonsense.
None of it means anything and 100 years after you die, nobody will remember you. There is no afterlife, only darkness.

Hope that helps!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmm, there is 62 people going to the office holiday party/dinner tomorrow. Too bad we couldn't just do our own department thing...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hmm, there is 62 people going to the office holiday party/dinner tomorrow. Too bad we couldn't just do our own department thing...
They brought carol singers into the office yesterday for ours. I'm trying to conduct meetings and stuff and there's a trio in the cube farm laying down some holiday classics. It was wild.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
be weary of the ADHD tests on such a young child. Or at least mindful of the shortcomings. As you know, the tests are scored on a bell curve for 'normal' development at a given age. The more data points, the more accurate the test results, and the more useful the outcomes. What I discovered when we had our son tested at 6 (or maybe 7), is that there is very little data for that age category. So there was a lot of "well, he tests low here... and that could be down to many different factors, we can't be sure what the cause is and how to address the issue"... I discovered that it isn't till grade 3 that you get enough data points to really be able to make use of the diagnosis.

On the other hand, having the diagnosis is a tool you can take to the school/teachers and explain your kids' needs, and not have them mislabeled with unhelpful labels (such as "problem child" for example)...

either way... good luck.
Thankfully her BFF's mom, who we've known since they were 2mos old, is a psychiatrist. We have her as a reference point for long-term.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hot damn got another interview lined up so I am now in the running for two jobs. Both are ecom management jobs but both look like way more interesting roles than my previous job. Now I just need to get some bid on the house and it will really feel like Christmas.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thankfully her BFF's mom, who we've known since they were 2mos old, is a psychiatrist. We have her as a reference point for long-term.
my son was diagnosed at age ~4. sometimes its very, very obvious. given it's stoney, i would trust he knows what he's talking about here.
Oh for sure. I wasn't implying that they're worthless or Stoney doesn't know what he's doing. It's just that care is needed in interpreting the results. What really got me was when they said (about my boy) "scores extremely low on the attention tests, and scores extremely low on the impulse control and distraction tests. We can't rule out developmental or intellectual deficiencies". It was the second part that drove me nuts... because no matter what you do, or what meds we gave them, nothing is going help if the cause is an intellectual deficiency. Apparently there isn't enough data to make a diagnosis there until at least grade 3, and better yet in grade 4. So with an early diagnosis, if the usual interventions don't work, you get to spend 6 years wondering what the fuck more you can do to help your kid, what the best course of action is, and whether you're barking up the wrong tree. At least that's been my experience...

For a solid two years we fought to get my son more resources at school, and not placed with a shit teacher. We lost those fights, except to get him placed in a school that has a program for kids with learning disabilities (basically, the school just washed their hands of him. If I could choke the principal I would. She is a cunt who doesn't care about the kids, she was focused more on the administrative burden of managing her teachers...). Anyways... he's in grade 5 in his new school now, though he's learning at a grade 3 level. There's 7 kids, a teacher and an assistant, so it's a really good ratio. He seems to be doing much better - when he went in, he was a grade 2 level, and in three months he's already caught up a whole year, and might jump to the 4th grade curriculum this winter.

Anyways, my only point is if conventional treatments don't work, the tests for ADHD at such a young age aren't necessarily as helpful as a parent would hope... again, if conventional treatments don't work.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Sounds like Yancey.
Yancey is a good basic loop that starts and ends almost directly at ol' Derek's house. It did indeed end in a leaf filled crevasse until they rerouted the last but a few years ago into a fly snoozefest. If you know where to go you can still hit the old end.

Another good one is 21 jumps/schoolhouse. If you're feeling froggy you can tack a trail called woodruff onto the beginning or end of that. @canadmos is thinking of an offshoot of big lost cove cliffs for the leafy chute, which is indeed off of a hiking only trail.

Lots more options up there depending on how your friends' legs are and/or if they want to shuttle. Most of it is at least on maps nowadays. Feel free to holler for more info if you want.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh for sure. I wasn't implying that they're worthless or Stoney doesn't know what he's doing. It's just that care is needed in interpreting the results. What really got me was when they said (about my boy) "scores extremely low on the attention tests, and scores extremely low on the impulse control and distraction tests. We can't rule out developmental or intellectual deficiencies". It was the second part that drove me nuts... because no matter what you do, or what meds we gave them, nothing is going help if the cause is an intellectual deficiency. Apparently there isn't enough data to make a diagnosis there until at least grade 3, and better yet in grade 4. So with an early diagnosis, if the usual interventions don't work, you get to spend 6 years wondering what the fuck more you can do to help your kid, what the best course of action is, and whether you're barking up the wrong tree. At least that's been my experience...

For a solid two years we fought to get my son more resources at school, and not placed with a shit teacher. We lost those fights, except to get him placed in a school that has a program for kids with learning disabilities (basically, the school just washed their hands of him. If I could choke the principal I would. She is a cunt who doesn't care about the kids, she was focused more on the administrative burden of managing her teachers...). Anyways... he's in grade 5 in his new school now, though he's learning at a grade 3 level. There's 7 kids, a teacher and an assistant, so it's a really good ratio. He seems to be doing much better - when he went in, he was a grade 2 level, and in three months he's already caught up a whole year, and might jump to the 4th grade curriculum this winter.

Anyways, my only point is if conventional treatments don't work, the tests for ADHD at such a young age aren't necessarily as helpful as a parent would hope... again, if conventional treatments don't work.
We're lucky that Hannah is already testing ahead of grade level in every subject. When she is focused on something, her performance is best in class. I had been working with her teacher since before school started, letting her know that she very likely has ADHD, and she has been working with Hannah to keep her focused. She gets a new fidget every morning, has Velcro stuck under her desk to keep her tactile distracted, etc. She has also been working with the school psych 2x/week specifically about controlling her patience/temper/impulse control, and she's been really good about it - until yesterday.

This is all part of what made the consequence far less than it could have been. They all knew that she shows every ADHD symptom possible and has impulse control around emotional response.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We're lucky that Hannah is already testing ahead of grade level in every subject. When she is focused on something, her performance is best in class. I had been working with her teacher since before school started, letting her know that she very likely has ADHD, and she has been working with Hannah to keep her focused. She gets a new fidget every morning, has Velcro stuck under her desk to keep her tactile distracted, etc. She has also been working with the school psych 2x/week specifically about controlling her patience/temper/impulse control, and she's been really good about it - until yesterday.

This is all part of what made the consequence far less than it could have been. They all knew that she shows every ADHD symptom possible and has impulse control around emotional response.
i've seen fights break out over jenga before. at least she's not playing settlers of catan.