Quantcast

|°•| sat gmt |•°|

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fun day at Bromont, again. In "last run" predictable fashion, I ate shit into a rock berm (somehow didn't even get a scratch) and the lady friend made a wrong turn and ended up on the complete opposite and wrong side of the hill. What a shit show haha.

Saw these two on the hill under the lift. Not really sure what's going on?

This is whats left of the middle part of the world cup course. Lost to nature and rotting away.

Trails a frigging PRIME though!

I kinda want another dh bike if this is a regular thing. :(
I always wanted to have a DH roadtrip including Bromont when I lived in the NE, never happened :(

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I always wanted to have a DH roadtrip including Bromont when I lived in the NE, never happened :(
When the Rona settles down, you should totally come up with the trailer or just spend a week in Quebec.

There is SOOOOO much good riding up here. DH parks all over and tons and tons of incredible regular or "enduro" trail.

I'm sure @Jozz and maybe @slyfink can attest to this. Endless options...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just take the tailgate off. What's it good for anyways? Send it!
I like the crap I put back there to stay back there when possible. Not sure what they had in place, or if anything at all. But they pulled all the hardware with it.

The one I got is off a GMC that locks and has a camera. I don't have the key or a monitor for the camera, but it was $250 vs $436 from the yard.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I like the crap I put back there to stay back there when possible. Not sure what they had in place, or if anything at all. But they pulled all the hardware with it.

The one I got is off a GMC that locks and has a camera. I don't have the key or a monitor for the camera, but it was $250 vs $436 from the yard.
Are you sure it wasn't stolen? Can't you just literally lift GM tailgates off the hinges and walk away with them?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Did they say why? Sounds like a lot of work to maintain/test...or a lot to go wrong when it goes off or leaks...
Right? No explanation. They did have a reverse osmosis water filtration system, so maybe the builder just had a thing for high quality H2O?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
When the Rona settles down, you should totally come up with the trailer or just spend a week in Quebec.

There is SOOOOO much good riding up here. DH parks all over and tons and tons of incredible regular or "enduro" trail.

I'm sure @Jozz and maybe @slyfink can attest to this. Endless options...
2000 mile drive from my house to Bromont :(

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If I was feeling dumb enough to do that drive I'd have wanted to include Whiteface as I never made it there either, then Highland which was always fun and then Platty was always my favourite weekender, also no more :(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you sure it wasn't stolen? Can't you just literally lift GM tailgates off the hinges and walk away with them?
Pretty much. I was talking to the dude working the yard and he said "I wish they would put those bitches back on when they are done. Every now and then I get a fucking pallet of tailgates that somebody had in a shop somewhere. Not much market for a pallet of random tailgates." :rofl:

My truck doesn't have the hinges or the striker bolt, I had to order those. I should be able to get the mounting bolts at the Ace.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If I was feeling dumb enough to do that drive I'd have wanted to include Whiteface as I never made it there either, then Highland which was always fun and then Platty was always my favourite weekender, also no more :(
First and only time I got to ride Platty was a collegiate race circa 2005 with @CrabJoe StretchPants and @Inclag . Twas all fun until Crabby bonked his thinker and wanted to go take a nap. Pretty sure I finished that race second to last. Little has changed in that realm. :D

Pretty sure I rode Bromont with @CrabJoe StretchPants and @BadDNA in 2008 or so, while at Monkeyfest. Also good times.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Idk I'd say it's worth it. I was only ever there once. It was cold and windy and raining and I was learning a brand new bike I had built that morning but it was one of the best days of riding I've ever had.
First and only time I got to ride Platty was a collegiate race circa 2005 with @CrabJoe StretchPants and @Inclag . Twas all fun until Crabby bonked his thinker and wanted to go take a nap. Pretty sure I finished that race second to last. Little has changed in that realm. :D

Pretty sure I rode Bromont with @CrabJoe StretchPants and @BadDNA in 2008 or so, while at Monkeyfest. Also good times.
Bromont was always my favorite place for dh. Best mix of raw, natural and built up/park style stuff. Plus post ride beers at Breaumont (sp?) and flirting with the super cute french canadian chicks was fun. Hell of a day trip, though....4:30am to midnight+.

Highland was great being about an hour away, especially the early days helping build trails and riding before it officially opened. Over time it got a bit too crowded and blown out to be fun IMO.

Looking at building a long travel Enduro/park type bike over the winter to be able to hit places again next year. Been too long and this year has made me realize how fun it was, and I might have a bit of life left in me for such things. Probably never hit my hucker prime again, and that's probably for the best at this point in my life.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
When was the last time you rode platty?
I think last time I was there was early season trailwork day in April 2014 before they opened. Trail work on the Saturday, ride for free on the Sunday.

Except it snowed on the Saturday night and was in the teen's. Three of us camping in the lot froze and the next morning just wanted to head back to NYC and get warm.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Bromont was always my favorite place for dh. Best mix of raw, natural and built up/park style stuff. Plus post ride beers at Breaumont (sp?) and flirting with the super cute french canadian chicks was fun. Hell of a day trip, though....4:30am to midnight+.

Highland was great being about an hour away, especially the early days helping build trails and riding before it officially opened. Over time it got a bit too crowded and blown out to be fun IMO.

Looking at building a long travel Enduro/park type bike over the winter to be able to hit places again next year. Been too long and this year has made me realize how fun it was, and I might have a bit of life left in me for such things. Probably never hit my hucker prime again, and that's probably for the best at this point in my life.
Wasn't that "super cute French Canadian chick" you went 6 to midnight over actually a 14 year old dude in skinny jeans with beautiful blonde hair? :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bridgestone is back online. Put the smoke and dart back on for shits and giggles. In need of a 8speed shifter to keep the drivetrain alive. Chain and cassette are toast.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Man, I had a great day. Took the new beater out for 13.5 miles with Wife, splat, and 10 others, doing our best to stay socially distant but not really. The new bike is awesome. I like it even more than I thought I would, probably due to be upsold on the more expensive frame and wheels. We stopped at a hole in the wall burger joint after for a calorie reload. I rode 9.5 miles last night too. Pics of all that shit are on Strava for the three of you who use it.
Three + 1... I wanna see the pics.

Stick... spokes...
This.

2000 mile drive from my house to Bromont :(
In.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Exactly what shifter are you looking for?
A Shimano XT or DX thumb shifter would be ideal. The XT version can switch between friction and index. So that would be ideal. The spacing on the hub prevents me from changing formats. I have a XT 8 speed shifter and cassette (not new) and a SRAM 8 speed chain with some miles left on it. I took the dremel to the cassette and middle ring to keep them alive for now. I am not going to put it on the trainer in a effort to keep her alive.