Quantcast

°0o Vengeday GMT o0°

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
More interviews and write-ups on the agenda for today. Such is life as a manager in corp America.

It's damn cold outside. We may get a dusting of snow tomorrow :thumb:
But it's supposed to melt right away :thumbsdown:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
36 degrees and raining this morning. Gonna leave work early and start leaf blowing my favorite trails. It is that time of year.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

My oil change last night was rudely interrupted when I discovered that the oil filter was put on by the lovechild of Lou Ferrigno and Andre the Giant. Had to hit pause and run out to buy an oil filter cap wrench as none of the strap wrenches I had worked. Why oh why...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Man has it been cold in the last couple of days, we dipped to frost this morning and tomorrow is going to be like that again. After the daily chunk of slavery is completed, I am hoping for an afternoon ride. New-ish rear wheel is almost finished, now come hard decisions about tires.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Swam this morning. Run this evening. 12 hour day at work today. Meh.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies. As predicted last night's ride was awesome, a little windy but at 68 degrees it was a fine 2 hours of XC goodness on the Giggle Pig. Will repeat tomorrow.

Today I am planning my pto for 2017, due to much IRT earlier this year I get a 1 time score of an additional 3 weeks plus carryover, if my math is correct that is near 14 weeks. I have to take it all in 2017 since we've recently converted to a rolling bank plan in the payout states. We don't lose pto it just won't accrue past your earned maximum.

Ain't work grand? YES.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Cloudy and close to freezing. A contractor is coming over to discuss solar panel installation.
Maybe talk him into a discount? :D

i really think a whip would come in handy around the house in the morning. or at least a cattle prod...
It does.

:stupid: wife got angry at me because the kids weren't listening to her.... :feminist:
That's when you exit stage right and hit the pub.

<snip>
My oil change last night was rudely interrupted when I discovered that the oil filter was put on by the lovechild of Lou Ferrigno and Andre the Giant. Had to hit pause and run out to buy an oil filter cap wrench as none of the strap wrenches I had worked. Why oh why...
Because cars. Much like plumbing. :mad:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I actually went to the gym for the first time in forever and will pick up a bike trainer for in the house. I think I will end up with 2, one roller and one stand. Not sure the wife would do the rollers, but I think I would like that way more than just a normal wheel stand. I'm getting this fat ass in bike shape for spring so I can justify my dentist bike. :D

So what monkeys use a roller trainer vs a stand? Thoughts?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. 50 minute treadmill speed workout this morning. I wasn't in the mood to deal with 25 degree wind chills in the early morning dark. Good run tho. :monkey:

My 10:00 interview didn't show. :rolleyes: She's an internal candidate too.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Mornin!

Didn't feel like popping a long flathead through the filter for leverage and getting oily shit everywhere?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Morning Monkeys.

I actually went to the gym for the first time in forever and will pick up a bike trainer for in the house. I think I will end up with 2, one roller and one stand. Not sure the wife would do the rollers, but I think I would like that way more than just a normal wheel stand. I'm getting this fat ass in bike shape for spring so I can justify my dentist bike. :D

trainers in general are so boring the few people i knew with rollers had a tendency to fall off.

for stationary, kurt kinetic. i think its the road machine. don't bother with anything else. it's the dentist trainer, but its good. it's the one i have. considering putting the heavier flywheel on it this winter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Morning Monkies. As predicted last night's ride was awesome, a little windy but at 68 degrees it was a fine 2 hours of XC goodness on the Giggle Pig. Will repeat tomorrow.

Today I am planning my pto for 2017, due to much IRT earlier this year I get a 1 time score of an additional 3 weeks plus carryover, if my math is correct that is near 14 weeks. I have to take it all in 2017 since we've recently converted to a rolling bank plan in the payout states. We don't lose pto it just won't accrue past your earned maximum.

Ain't work grand? YES.
wtffffffff 14 weeks vacation? that's insane! who do you work for / what do you do? our company tops out at 6 weeks vacation, but there are other forms of PTO that aren't just vacation.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a set of rollers that I should use more than I do. Like JK said, rollers (and any trainer in general) are boring as fuck, so motivation to use them is virtually non-existent for me.

That said, getting used to them was the most difficult bike-related thing I've had to do since learning to ride a bike. Get used to falling often and awkwardly, especially if you're running clipless. Once you get used to riding on them, however, the challenge of staying on them is somewhat entertaining. The need to constantly maintain cadence for balance, however, can be tough, then again that's sort of the point. When I used them, I would use music as a means of dictating cadence; fast/heavy song came on, I'd hammer until the song was over, if it was a slow/chill song, I pedal just fast enough to maintain balance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a set of rollers that I should use more than I do. Like JK said, rollers (and any trainer in general) are boring as fuck, so motivation to use them is virtually non-existent for me.

That said, getting used to them was the most difficult bike-related thing I've had to do since learning to ride a bike. Get used to falling often and awkwardly, especially if you're running clipless. Once you get used to riding on them, however, the challenge of staying on them is somewhat entertaining. The need to constantly maintain cadence for balance, however, can be tough, then again that's sort of the point. When I used them, I would use music as a means of dictating cadence; fast/heavy song came on, I'd hammer until the song was over, if it was a slow/chill song, I pedal just fast enough to maintain balance.
i just watch a lot of netflix on the trainer.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
trainers in general are so boring the few people i knew with rollers had a tendency to fall off.
This was my fear. :rofl:

I saw this cool rim tension trainer thing that seemed like an interesting idea. But I will likely just get a couple stands and call it good.

<edit> Netflix is what I was thinking. I saw a commercial for the tour trainer setup with the videos and the bike that simulates the course. I would have to kick my own ass. :rofl:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, $350 is a lot for a fluid trainer, but mine is something like 6 years old, still works like new. know a bunch of other people with them, never heard of a single issue.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
If it's like 98% of cars I've ever seen the filter location on, there's no room to get any leverage with such a method.

Leverage would be fine. Not so good to drip oil on everything below it, which is a lot of stuff.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My thing is the lady doesn't like to ride when its sh!tty yet, but I want to get her riding miles. So I was going to set our bikes up in the "waiting room" (our useless front room) and get her spinning. Hell, I need to get spinning.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I quite like my old fashioned DOD FX-80B. :nerd:
A year ago, I got a suite of compressor plug-ins and I started playing around with them. I figured that it'd satisfy any need I'd ever have. Turns out, it fueled the fire. I just flipped my Darkglass Symmetry and a SGFX Horizon is on the way. I've got a Fairfield Accountant, which is fitting since that's my day job. It also behaves like a tube amp, and even distorts when you push it. I also just snagged an Ovnifx Smoothie, which is quite nice. Gotta stop the madness. After the Horizon arrives, I'll figure out what to keep and what to sell off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This was my fear. :rofl:

I saw this cool rim tension trainer thing that seemed like an interesting idea. But I will likely just get a couple stands and call it good.

<edit> Netflix is what I was thinking. I saw a commercial for the tour trainer setup with the videos and the bike that simulates the course. I would have to kick my own ass. :rofl:

now THAT is the ultimate dentist trainer

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A year ago, I got a suite of compressor plug-ins and I started playing around with them. I figured that it'd satisfy any need I'd ever have. Turns out, it fueled the fire. I just flipped my Darkglass Symmetry and a SGFX Horizon is on the way. I've got a Fairfield Accountant, which is fitting since that's my day job. It also behaves like a tube amp, and even distorts when you push it. I also just snagged an Ovnifx Smoothie, which is quite nice. Gotta stop the madness. After the Horizon arrives, I'll figure out what to keep and what to sell off.
I smell OCD :D. I've just inquired a local craigslist seller about this baaaad boy

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

I should have run this morning, but somehow I slept almost 12 solid hours. :panic: I've decided to do nothing today. Should I feel saucy later, I may get a haircut.
Didn't feel like popping a long flathead through the filter for leverage and getting oily shit everywhere?

If it's like 98% of cars I've ever seen the filter location on, there's no room to get any leverage with such a method.
Or, and I've had this happen once, may the FSM have mercy on your soul if whom ever the douche bag was who installed the filter, put it on so tight that the long handle screwdriver just proceeds to twist the top of the oil filter can right off the housing while leaving the rest of the filter behind. :mad:

Leverage would be fine. Not so good to drip oil on everything below it, which is a lot of stuff.
What monster put that oil filter there? That's fucking dumb.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

I should have run this morning, but somehow I slept almost 12 solid hours. :panic: I've decided to do nothing today. Should I feel saucy later, I may get a haircut.

Or, and I've had this happen once, may the FSM have mercy on your soul if whom ever the douche bag was who installed the filter, put it on so tight that the long handle screwdriver just proceeds to twist the top of the oil filter can right off the housing while leaving the rest of the filter behind. :mad:

What monster put that oil filter there? That's fucking dumb.
It's a WAY better location compared to the prior cars I have changed filters on. With my old Escape it was right above the collector for the exhaust header, and on my wife's Civic it's up and over the steering rack and crossmember on the backside of the engine. I'll take where Toyota put it any day of the week.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

I'd be inclined to just leave the original filter and run the vehicle until it dies. It's a Toyota, so it would probably go a couple hundred thou (instead of a half million).
I was laughing with a friend of mine. He has a 2wd '96 Taco pushing 250k, he swears it's only had the oil changed twice that he can remember, neither time by him. He is giving it to his son for his first car, it's perfect.

<edit> He's added oil a couple times. It doesn't leak, but it does burn a little every 50k or so. :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I was laughing with a friend of mine. He has a 2wd '96 Taco pushing 250k, he swears it's only had the oil changed twice that he can remember, neither time by him. He is giving it to his son for his first car, it's perfect.
My cousin had a Celica back in the late 80's... I think it was her 1st new car she'd purchased herself - she didn't even KNOW that you were supposed to change the oil/do maintenance. Drove it 100K miles and it got totaled by an elk. I'm pretty sure she never even CHECKED the oil. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

<edit> He's added oil a couple times. It doesn't leak, but it does burn a little every 50k or so. :rofl:
i definitely would let my taco go as much as 10k between oil changes