Quantcast

°0o Vengeday GMT o0°

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
first proper night ride is in the books. light kicks ass, although waiting on optics (wide spot, flood) to test out. still fat and slow. also, made bad shoe choice. other notes: really need a dropper on the xc hardtail. also, gotta get rid of those avid brakes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
New commuter was acquired tonight. Pics will follow . Some shenanigans were required to get the rack to fit, but it's on there now and the boy came home on the new bike . It smooth. And fast! I think I'm going to like it .

Then it was on to first frozen night ride of the year .conditions weren't great , but a ride is a ride . At least a couple of my buddies "un-bailed" so I had some company .

Still not sure about the wide rims . They feel odd . Like it's hard to get the bike to turn . @StiHacka , do you eventually get used to that feeling ? Does it go away eventually ?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Holy F'in titties it was cold tonight.

Going to ride down this embankment eventually. Just need someone to watch, encase I end up going head first into the drink.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You sure it's not the bike? :busted:
ha! considering I've been riding the bikes four seasons now... yeah, I'm sure. It's even more pronounced now that I have the new commuter, where all I have to do is shift my hips to start tipping the bike over and it turns in. so nice.

but seriously, it could be a placebo, but I feel like the more square profile of the tires resists "tipping and turning". has that been your experience at all with wide rims, or is it all in my head?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
but seriously, it could be a placebo, but I feel like the more square profile of the tires resists "tipping and turning". has that been your experience at all with wide rims, or is it all in my head?
I don't think about that but I am not a finesse rider either, I throw my weight around and lean the bike aggressively all the time. I think there is a consensus that square tires require more aggressive approach to cornering, and wider rims will make your usual tires more square. OTOH, once on the side knobs, they grip and grip and grip...

Disclaimer: I am just a talentless hack and my riding experience should not be taken seriously