Quantcast

°F°F°F°F°F°F°F°F° 0 °F°F°F°F°F°F°F°F°

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have to stay though, I am very impressed by your public transportation. Mass and Boston feel like a 3rd world country in comparison, despite being at least 3x as expressive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun.

Gout attacks completely redefined my personal definition of, "pain". Like most of us on here I've broken bones, pulled this and torn that, separated duh whut, etc. None of those injuries could even remotely compare to a Gout flare up. Basically what happens is your body will either produce an excess amount of serum uric acid or not excrete enough, resulting in crystalized uric acid that forms in the shape of needle like shards that cut the surrounding tissue. The worst flare up I had was in my left knee. It felt like I had broken pieces of glass under my knee cap and every time I moved, the shards would cut. That one lasted 3.5 weeks.
I've had plenty of gout attacks, but what really redefined my idea of "pain" was neuropathic pain post surgery. That was by far the worst I've ever had, starting in my foot and basically my nerves "misfiring" constantly. It was like someone shorted out a car battery on your foot every few seconds at times. Also like someone is holding a lighter under your foot constantly. It was so sensitive that just luke-warm water felt like it was burning, all crazy red. I didn't sleep for weeks and didn't really know what was going on at first. I started trying all kinds of crazy stuff, every possible analgesic, lying on the floor with my foot sticking out the cracked sliding door where it's single digits, trying to just get my foot numb for a few minutes of relief, constantly icing it down to make it numb, freezing socks and putting on the frozen socks to try and sleep, to little avail. Nothing really worked, called the doctor on a Friday and said you gotta do something for me. They referred me around a bit and then said, ok, we can get you in on Monday. I said, "no, I haven't slept for weeks, I need something right now". Got me some opiods and finally had some sleep, not like 8 hours of solid sleep mind you, but not sleeping for weeks and the constant shooting pain was making me go crazy, I can totally see how someone could be driven to extreme measures. When I saw the doc and said that the drugs helped and I had finally gotten some sleep, he said "yep, that's how you get addicted". Motherfucker. I didn't even get "high", despite high power opiods, it never felt like I was riding on a cloud or having a good time. Eventually got an anti-seizure drug that supposedly helps with this, but it's onset is really slow and it was questionable whether it really helped or by using my foot more after surgery and getting more active I finally beat it, but that whole experience was pretty crazy.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've had plenty of gout attacks, but what really redefined my idea of "pain" was neuropathic pain post surgery. That was by far the worst I've ever had, starting in my foot and basically my nerves "misfiring" constantly. It was like someone shorted out a car battery on your foot every few seconds at times. Also like someone is holding a lighter under your foot constantly. It was so sensitive that just luke-warm water felt like it was burning, all crazy red. I didn't sleep for weeks and didn't really know what was going on at first. I started trying all kinds of crazy stuff, every possible analgesic, lying on the floor with my foot sticking out the cracked sliding door where it's single digits, trying to just get my foot numb for a few minutes of relief, constantly icing it down to make it numb, freezing socks and putting on the frozen socks to try and sleep, to little avail. Nothing really worked, called the doctor on a Friday and said you gotta do something for me. They referred me around a bit and then said, ok, we can get you in on Monday. I said, "no, I haven't slept for weeks, I need something right now". Got me some opiods and finally had some sleep, not like 8 hours of solid sleep mind you, but not sleeping for weeks and the constant shooting pain was making me go crazy, I can totally see how someone could be driven to extreme measures. When I saw the doc and said that the drugs helped and I had finally gotten some sleep, he said "yep, that's how you get addicted". Motherfucker. I didn't even get "high", despite high power opiods, it never felt like I was riding on a cloud or having a good time. Eventually got an anti-seizure drug that supposedly helps with this, but it's onset is really slow and it was questionable whether it really helped or by using my foot more after surgery and getting more active I finally beat it, but that whole experience was pretty crazy.
It's crazy how one's own body can attack itself.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, after a $2000 cat scan, it turns out that she doesn’t have stones, but rather a fairly severe kidney infection. Which is great news that we caught it in time, and she won’t have to suffer passing stones, but hot damn, expensive diagnosis.