Quantcast

¶∆π Saterbork gee em tee π∆¶

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Bork, indeed. OT because $$$$$, earning it already. :hmm:

Took girls to waterworld on Thursday, bishops castle on Friday. Golf Cart Car preformed both trips admirably. Bishops Castle was interesting, in a "what would happen if Cliven Bundy decided to build Snow Whites castle" sort of way. :twitch:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Knocking back a coffee, green chile and eggs and avocado this morning in preparation for a (hopefully) big ride.

MacDonald Pass CDT > Switchback ridge > Moose Ridge > Colorado Mountain Trail > Black Hall Meadows Trail > Grizzly Gulch > Mount Helena Ridge > Show-Me-The-Horse > some combo of town trails > Blackfoot River Brewing is the planned route.

Basically starting here and ending up in Helena.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Ground through my rear derailleur’s Di2 cable midway through my ride. Remind me not to do that (+/- potentially cracking my new rear triangle via impact).

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Knocking back a coffee, green chile and eggs and avocado this morning in preparation for a (hopefully) big ride.

MacDonald Pass CDT > Switchback ridge > Moose Ridge > Colorado Mountain Trail > Black Hall Meadows Trail > Grizzly Gulch > Mount Helena Ridge > Show-Me-The-Horse > some combo of town trails > Blackfoot River Brewing is the planned route.

Basically starting here and ending up in Helena.
I'll be riding there in two weeks, please give details on what you find, (and what is suitable for wifey and kiddo)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I did 62 miles on the tri bike (19.2 mph) followed by a three mile brick run this morning. It was warm and humid and I was a dripping wet mess by the end. At least my various right leg ailments stayed in check.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
House across the street from me got bulldozed and replaced by a $2,000,000 mcmansion. A surprising number of people have showed up for the open house. Don't think my new neighbors are going to be drinking buddies.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Omg you guys. I’m so tired. I marched right past dumb, and sprinted straight to stupid in that one. Full ride report to come, eventually.

https://strava.app.link/8hjgI4KwRY
1564870279457.png

I'll be riding there in two weeks, please give details on what you find,
Unlike Bono, I have found what I was looking for... a super raw, long, difficult backcountry adventure ride.

(and what is suitable for wifey and kiddo)
None of it.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I thought Grizzly Gulch/Show me The Horse etc was intermediate?
Yes, your wife/kid would do fine on SMTH along with any of the Ridge proper downhills and if you don't do the weekend shuttle, you can self-shuttle the road back to your car...

Just don't start where Full Trucker did (i.e. cra-cra long with tons of extra climbing...)

ETA: if your wife/kid aren't into beer (#just saying) this is my favorite restaurant of late in HLN and next to brewpub

(and pdf menu attached)

ETA2: great now I'm hungry for middle eastern food

Attachments

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I was about to edit my post to basically say what @Montana rider said... the Helena Ridge and Mother-Fucker-Gonna-See-a-Horse stuff probably goes. Not super rocky or technical, really pretty, good flow, decent dirt, 8/10 would bang again. My lady did a bunch of riding around Ascension Mountain (?) and LOVED it. She’s what I would call an “inexperienced intermediate” rider.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm sore. I'm tired. New bike wants to go fast, the 36 being hard to tune/crappy(?) held it back. Before my grip became an issue and I let it go, holy shit the fast. Rear brake made me work harder than the front and my grip reflected it.

Michelin Wild Enduro tires... I have no positive comments. DHR/F and Shimano shifter mount brackets to be ordered tonight. I need tires and my Saints. The fork might go to Push or I might just get a Lyric.

Ready to sleep and have the kids all day tomorrow.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Ask me my opinion on rental bikes with plus size tires. Turns out 4 flats entitles you to a 1/2 price discount.

One of the funner days I've had on a bike. Thanks for showing this old man around.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm sore. I'm tired. New bike wants to go fast, the 36 being hard to tune/crappy(?) held it back. Before my grip became an issue and I let it go, holy shit the fast. Rear brake made me work harder than the front and my grip reflected it.

Michelin Wild Enduro tires... I have no positive comments. DHR/F and Shimano shifter mount brackets to be ordered tonight. I need tires and my Saints. The fork might go to Push or I might just get a Lyric.

Ready to sleep and have the kids all day tomorrow.
Ask me my opinion on rental bikes with plus size tires. Turns out 4 flats entitles you to a 1/2 price discount.

One of the funner days I've had on a bike. Thanks for showing this old man around.
That was a good time. Mrs 6thElement loved the day.

@stoney I think you'll need one of these to connect your I-Spec B Saints to what I think is likely an I-Spec 2 shifter.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@stoney about that fork... it’s not hard to tune or crappy in my experience. But, they’re valves for people way smaller and slower than you. Try all the volume reducer spacers before you give up on it. If it’s a Grip2, those things are great. Of note: I can’t stand RS approach to damping.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney as a baseline I have my 36 set up with the black adjuster 1.5 turns out from full CW.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dog shaped object just upset a skunk outside. It sprayed, didn't get the dog, but the house now stinks...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney about that fork... it’s not hard to tune or crappy in my experience. But, they’re valves for people way smaller and slower than you. Try all the volume reducer spacers before you give up on it. If it’s a Grip2, those things are great. Of note: I can’t stand RS approach to damping.
Flip-side: I love RS approach to fork damping. Can't stand their shock though.

What are your settings at? That's probably a good starting point for me.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Flip-side: I love RS approach to fork damping. Can't stand their shock though.

What are your settings at? That's probably a good starting point for me.
You really wanna take fork settings advice from a fella who’s been wearing the same shirt for 9 straight days?