Quantcast

¼½¾ mungday gmt ¾½¼

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Truck wouldn't start Sunday, seemed to be spark related. Realized I had never done a turn up and she might be due. Plugs were hashed, the ignition coil was fully corroded, and the distributor rotor was stuck on. I had to break it apart. :panic:

She was running pretty rough, but she seems good now.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
As I drove in today and am reading outpatient (therefore not that time sensitive) CT/MR I was therefore free to drive off campus for a late lunch. So I did and am now pleasantly full of Massaman curry and mango and sticky rice. If only siestas were a cultural thing here.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
parents have to fly to rochester for a uncles funeral.....uhhh.....nope.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Super fucking cold when I got home today. According to the Nest, the furnace stopped working 3 days ago. Good thing it's currently 21* outside. Some issue with the ignition sensor is the best I can gather from the error code.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
As I drove in today and am reading outpatient (therefore not that time sensitive) CT/MR I was therefore free to drive off campus for a late lunch. So I did and am now pleasantly full of Massaman curry and mango and sticky rice. If only siestas were a cultural thing here.
But if you had a siesta, you have to work until eight, so evening rides are out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Super fucking cold when I got home today. According to the Nest, the furnace stopped working 3 days ago. Good thing it's currently 21* outside. Some issue with the ignition sensor is the best I can gather from the error code.
Depending upon when you last had it serviced, the ignition sensor may have carbon build up on it, leading to faulty operation. Super easy to remove and lightly hit with a mild abrasive.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Depending upon when you last had it serviced, the ignition sensor may have carbon build up on it, leading to faulty operation. Super easy to remove and lightly hit with a mild abrasive.
It's not even lighting initially, which is my concern; even sparking for that matter. If it's not the sensor, it's a larger scale fuel issue.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
But if you had a siesta, you have to work until eight, so evening rides are out.
Today I kind of tried the concept out, in two pieces. Showed up an hour late after dropping elder kids at bus and school. Disappeared for an hour for Thai. Got my work done with some time to spare.

I didn’t bend over backwards to help out everyone else as well—that was the secret sauce.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Given that my section is at 137% of our metric overall, yet no individual is over 134% except for me at 150% I think I’ll do fine in my review.

"High performer does not imply team player"
-Antonio Brown

The most effective person is one who can raise the performance of those around them.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Given that my section is at 137% of our metric overall, yet no individual is over 134% except for me at 150% I think I’ll do fine in my review.
SO MANY METRICSSSSSS
And if you were to calibrate your metrics relative to ToshiMass (TM) as you continue your IF losing ways, you're printing money, printing money I tells yah...

More with less as it were ;)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's not even lighting initially, which is my concern; even sparking for that matter. If it's not the sensor, it's a larger scale fuel issue.
Luckily furnaces are pretty simple, and if it's not even lighting, that may imply a bad gas valve. That's what went on my furnace, during a 0 degree stretch we had a few years ago. The replacement cost $200, but wasnt too difficult to install if you wanna try a DIY fix.

Good luck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Luckily furnaces are pretty simple, and if it's not even lighting, that may imply a bad gas valve. That's what went on my furnace, during a 0 degree stretch we had a few years ago. The replacement cost $200, but wasnt too difficult to install if you wanna try a DIY fix.

Good luck.
i just put more wood in the firebox. :popcorn:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
SO MANY METRICSSSSSS
We used to have a shitload of metrics, and each part of the then-annual bonus was tied to a certain metric. People chafed at this system. One of the most onerous components was an annual publication requirement tied to the average impact factor of the [FTE fraction]/2 top papers you put out the past year. Yeah, that was about as fun as it sounds.

So instead we moved to a much simpler system: you get the bonus (same for everyone just scaled by FTE fraction) if you're at "meeting expectations" or higher on annual review. Done.

This 137% of benchmark figure is just of work volume (RVUs for us) divided by total FTEs in the section. It's not used in anything other than to decide if we need to hire more people, that answer being "yes, replacing one person + adding two more, please".
"High performer does not imply team player"
-Antonio Brown

The most effective person is one who can raise the performance of those around them.
This is a fair point in general, and in this game of academics is why I try to include as many of my colleagues as possible in my projects.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We used to have a shitload of metrics, and each part of the then-annual bonus was tied to a certain metric. People chafed at this system. One of the most onerous components was an annual publication requirement tied to the average impact factor of the [FTE fraction]/2 top papers you put out the past year. Yeah, that was about as fun as it sounds.

So instead we moved to a much simpler system: you get the bonus (same for everyone just scaled by FTE fraction) if you're at "meeting expectations" or higher on annual review. Done.

This 137% of benchmark figure is just of work volume (RVUs for us) divided by total FTEs in the section. It's not used in anything other than to decide if we need to hire more people, that answer being "yes, replacing one person + adding two more, please".

This is a fair point in general, and in this game of academics is why I try to include as many of my colleagues as possible in my projects.
So you're saying if I try to avoid as many of my colleagues as possible I'm likely doing it wrong?? :D