Quantcast

¿¿¿ Sad Thursday ???

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I bought the UV-C bulb a few years ago to help with onset of mold growth in our non-ventilated bathroom. Since I already have it, why not used it?
If it is not one of those low energy "placebo" ones then exposure to them is extremely dangerous for your skin and eyes.
I guess the one you have had to be run the whole night against the mold, so it would be a rather low energy one. Then it is kind of safe to operate them but you would also need to expose your groceries for quite some time. If it is one of the really high energy ones that kill everything in 15 mins then I would not want to operate them outside of a closed instrument/chamber with no chance of accidental skin/eye exposure.
As the initial studies seem to indicate, Sars-CoV-2 is only for a couple of hours stable on most surfaces. Combine that with light exposure and low humidity and you should see pretty quick inactivation. The study that showed longer resistance on surfaces didn't say how high the initial virus loading was that they applied. Luckily the Sars-CoV-2 is a virus with an envelope, which are some of the easiest to inactivate.

Here most produce is from Spain, Italy and Morocco this time of the year. I kind of have to buy it if I want veggies, but I also highly doubt that in the time it takes to get the stuff here the virus particles are still infectious. I am only worried about some shoppers coughing on them, which should be overall low virus particle loads to begin with unless they spit on it. And that would be visible.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On poop number three for the day, after somehow not taking one for nearly two days.

Two things are needed to complete this move into a proper house: a bbq and a firepit or some sort.

Any protips on finding a bbq for cheap?

Still cleaning out my own apartment (fully moved out of the lady friends condo) and found a stash of 30 rolls of toilet paper and a bottle of lysol. Score. I also found the fox float fluid that I lost a few years ago and a brand new Saint derailleur.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Groceries Wipe the plastic , metal and cardboard down with a cloroxed rag , wash fruits with soap and water and you are good to go. Steam all your veggies to cook them.
Are you sniffing your food? Even if the groceries were exposed to aerosols containing the virus, how does it get into your respiratory system? So far there are no indications that it can transfer by feces. I would be more worried about other shoppers in the store than the groceries themselves. Unless you pick your nose after you have touched the groceries, of course.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also - reading a gmt thread named "thursday" that was created on Saturday almost threw me for a loop this morning. Had to check what day it was...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Are you sniffing your food? Even if the groceries were exposed to aerosols containing the virus, how does it get into your respiratory system? So far there are no indications that it can transfer by feces. I would be more worried about other shoppers in the store than the groceries themselves. Unless you pick your nose after you have touched the groceries, of course.
Anything that a carrier spewed about the store can land on any surface and airflow can waft it into the air in your home for you to inhale. Transmission is not just by someone coughing or sneezing on you.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If it is not one of those low energy "placebo" ones then exposure to them is extremely dangerous for your skin and eyes.
I guess the one you have had to be run the whole night against the mold, so it would be a rather low energy one. Then it is kind of safe to operate them but you would also need to expose your groceries for quite some time. If it is one of the really high energy ones that kill everything in 15 mins then I would not want to operate them outside of a closed instrument/chamber with no chance of accidental skin/eye exposure.
As the initial studies seem to indicate, Sars-CoV-2 is only for a couple of hours stable on most surfaces. Combine that with light exposure and low humidity and you should see pretty quick inactivation. The study that showed longer resistance on surfaces didn't say how high the initial virus loading was that they applied. Luckily the Sars-CoV-2 is a virus with an envelope, which are some of the easiest to inactivate.

Here most produce is from Spain, Italy and Morocco this time of the year. I kind of have to buy it if I want veggies, but I also highly doubt that in the time it takes to get the stuff here the virus particles are still infectious. I am only worried about some shoppers coughing on them, which should be overall low virus particle loads to begin with unless they spit on it. And that would be visible.
15w / 254nm probably fits in your placebo bucket. Still, I think that having the lamp in a cold, otherwise dark room where the groceries are temporarily stored for a few hours won't hurt much as long as O3 stays in the room as well.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
we're looking to adopt new kittens to replace our passed older cat...of course, you should adopt two and not just a solo kitten...OK. Of course, due the 'rona, nobody has any kittens to adopt. Of course, this is the perfect time to adopt and acclimate some kitties to our home and family. Of course, the local shelter has three 1.5yo cats that just came in yesterday... so we're probably going to adopt three cats.

in other news, I'm trying to plan timelines at work for something that I don't know will happen

and I'm trying to shop for a hybrid commuter bike for shuttling the little dude.
I know, this is unsolicited advice, but may I recommend a rigid MTB that can be outfitted with slicks?

I got a Kona Humuhumu as the shuttle vehicle of choice for my kids. It carried a rack for the bike seat, hauled a Chariot, and was a solid urban vehicle. As the kids graduated to their own bikes, and started to come on trail rides, it was a way of keeping things (somewhat) entertaining for me too.

I'm now kind of wishing it had a fork and gears, to use in the shoulder season. Something like the Kona Unit or big honzo would be nice. But still, I got years of use out of that bike, and I still really enjoy tooling around on it.

I'm fact, I got first dirt today on it with my boys. Had a blast.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know, this is unsolicited advice, but may I recommend a rigid MTB that can be outfitted with slicks?

I got a Kona Humuhumu as the shuttle vehicle of choice for my kids. It carried a rack for the bike seat, hauled a Chariot, and was a solid urban vehicle. As the kids graduated to their own bikes, and started to come on trail rides, it was a way of keeping things (somewhat) entertaining for me too.

I'm now kind of wishing it had a fork and gears, to use in the shoulder season. Something like the Kona Shonkey would be nice. But still, I got years of use out of that bike, and I still really enjoy tooling around on it.

I'm fact, I got first dirt today on it with my boys. Had a blast.
that's what I would like, ideally. Something with like 1.9 or 2.0 slicks and like a 5 year old aluminum hardtail would be perfect. I have a bunch of parts lying around that are nearly new so I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. Would love to use them for this, as they aren't worth much piecemeal. I appreciate the advice. A few days ago I went down a small trail on my old disc road bike (25s, carbon wheels), and was probably as terrified as she was.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
15w / 254nm probably fits in your placebo bucket. Still, I think that having the lamp in a cold, otherwise dark room where the groceries are temporarily stored for a few hours won't hurt much as long as O3 stays in the room as well.
This is actually one of the stronger ones. Depending on how far it is away from your surfaces (what area is irradiated) it might work.
According to this publication ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1280232/ ) the family Coronaviridae has a D37 (energy for which only 37% of the virus particles stay infectious) of 25-31 J/m2. As Watts = J/sec you just need to figure out how much area the bulb is illuminating to be able to calculate the time it takes to inactivate the virus particles.
Drawbacks with UV bulbs is that their output is sensitive to the outside temperature, their age, etc., which makes it fluctuate by 15-20%.

The article I linked above also supports my argument of exposing to sunlight. They tested TMV-RNA with a similar D37 as Coronaviridae of 25 J/m2, which resulted in exposure times for reaching D37s of 60-71 mins depending on the day.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Anything that a carrier spewed about the store can land on any surface and airflow can waft it into the air in your home for you to inhale. Transmission is not just by someone coughing or sneezing on you.
You are right, there is a risk. However, if you consider that most likely the aerosols have dried out by the time you get the groceries home, which in itself will inactivate a lot of the virus particles, they need to first get airborne again. Then the infectious dose that you need to inhale has to be reached. Unless you buy stuff that is oozing with mucus I would consider this a highly unlikely scenario.

Yes, transmission is by more factors than just someone sneezing on you. I would say next most likely is people touching contaminated surfaces and then their face and nose, even lower down the list is catching it from aerosols still in the air from someone that right before you sneezed in the same room.

There are reports out now that families living together managed to not spread the virus although one member was infected with it. That kind of supports that it transmits similar to what we know from influenza. What makes it more dangerous is that asymptomatic persons are already spreading the infection, although peak viral loads in their mucus seem to be first reached when they show symptoms.