Quantcast

¿¿¿ thursd GMT ???

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
BLS course done. Got to do this every two years methinks. 50 minutes—acceptable.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Fuck this week already. :rant:

Sitting in the hospital, took Dad in this morning so he can have hip replacement #2. Also found out that a contract software developer I work with a bunch relapsed hard on Monday and has been in the hospital for a few days. He was apparently found face-down and unresponsive on his deck by a neighbor, and has no recollection / idea of why he would have bought and consumed enough booze to nearly kill himself. We were wondering why he hasn’t been working on his assigned tasks in the current sprint...

Man, July has been kind of a weird month.
Dad is out of surgery, heading back to the hospital to see him in recovery. Then he'll be moved to a room for an overnight stay. Hoping this is all good and fine and well. After this month, I don't really feel like losing any more family members to Death.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my wife discovered some random doc's theory on "wonder weeks", which are like mental growth spurts that usually come shortly after physical ones. It's certainly possible that he's in one of those. Our daughter did something similar but she never woke up screaming.

There is plenty of info on the intertubes about two year sleep regression associated with separation anxiety. The challenge is 1) how do we survive it until it passes, and B) How do we make it pass sooner? He's always been a great sleeper and our routines have not changed recently. We traveled recently but this kicked off a week after we got home...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my wife discovered some random doc's theory on "wonder weeks", which are like mental growth spurts that usually come shortly after physical ones. It's certainly possible that he's in one of those. Our daughter did something similar but she never woke up screaming.

There is plenty of info on the intertubes about two year sleep regression associated with separation anxiety. The challenge is 1) how do we survive it until it passes, and B) How do we make it pass sooner? He's always been a great sleeper and our routines have not changed recently. We traveled recently but this kicked off a week after we got home...
yea the neurological development can trigger it as well. ya just gotta wait it out really.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
WTF? 70lb bag?? :confused:
I pack lightly. Somehow the wife manages to pack suitcases for her and the girls that routinely end up at 50 if not 55 or 60 lbs.

I told her that next time we travel (Seattle, December) I will be packing for all of us, and not carting around all the shit she thinks is necessary for the kids (e.g. taking an old iPhone with a white noise app on it instead of a physical white noise box).

His suitcase probably has powered drive wheels.
I don’t have one, but was interested to read that one must disconnect the battery from said “smart luggage” before stowing it as a carry-on. The whole “standalone lithium-ion batteries must be carried on” rule seems super arbitrary—if it’s going to catch on fire, it’s going to catch on fire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don’t have one, but was interested to read that one must disconnect the battery from said “smart luggage” before stowing it as a carry-on. The whole “standalone lithium-ion batteries must be carried on” rule seems super arbitrary—if it’s going to catch on fire, it’s going to catch on fire.
it's more of a risk if it's connected and can draw current. i've spent a lot of time reading IATA regulations, specifically in regards to lithium batteries.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

mouth has been hurting, as has neck and back on the same side. suspect it's an infection in the tooth where they told me i needed a root canal a year ago and i never did anything about it. hrmf.

21st anniversary today; going to dinner tonight.

hot as balls here. haven't ridden since sunday. hoping to get out locally tomorrow afternoon or maybe somewhere in the hills this weekend.

been trying to plan trip to maine. wife wants to go up to moosehead lake to take a canoe trip to see moose, which is fine other than that it's 4 hours from my parent's place. we also haven't secured pet/housesitters for the trip yet. fuck.

we are acquiring neither a new tv nor a new car . . . on those fronts i've got nothin'. about to pull the trigger on a new-ish fork, as i discovered that my 36 is cracked at the pinch bolt clamp on the lowers. found a decent deal on a takeoff 36 that's probably not much more than getting a replacement lower from fox (my current fork's stanchions are also all buggered anyway), although i'll have to boostinate-adapt my front hub.

carry on, good sirs!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
been trying to plan trip to maine. wife wants to go up to moosehead lake to take a canoe trip to see moose, which is fine other than that it's 4 hours from my parent's place. we also haven't secured pet/housesitters for the trip yet. fuck.
where are your parents located? also, been going to Maine since i was a kid. have yet to see a moose in the wild.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There is plenty of info on the intertubes about two year sleep regression associated with separation anxiety. The challenge is 1) how do we survive it until it passes, and B) How do we make it pass sooner?
I'll never win a parenting award but my advice is ignore them.
The only cure for separation anxiety is forcing them to accept being alone.
You can't soothe that into them, they need to figure that out for themselves.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
where are your parents located? also, been going to Maine since i was a kid. have yet to see a moose in the wild.
I saw a moose standing on shoulder of 1-95 outside york a month ago.
Pretty sure his parents live in Damariscotta (mid coast)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
mouth has been hurting, as has neck and back on the same side. suspect it's an infection in the tooth where they told me i needed a root canal a year ago and i never did anything about it. hrmf.
Get it pulled, nao.

Boss just tried to make me feel guilty for not having invited myself to meetings I didn't know existed. That's how we roll here. :mad:
... only to discover that boss not only knew about those meetings, but was actually sitting in them. The urge to FTS is strong today. :dead:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah we're outside Bath on coast.
We used to hit Allagash late july every year and flies typically 'ok' by then.
yea, we usually don't go up until august, and typically the flies have subsided by then. Bath is nice. I have a cousin farther up the coast near Blue Hill.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yep - @dan-o's right. Parents are on the peninsula Damariscotta's on - town is a tiny little place called Round Pond. We've been going up to that area since I was born; rented a cabin in New Harbor when I was a baby; bought a cabin in Damariscotta when I was little kid; and then they bought the current place, with plans to retire to it, when I was 9. It's fun to take my kids up there. I know the spot @dan-o's place is - I think I got my first little dinghy from some guy that lived there. I lived in West Bath for a year when I was in college. It was a pretty sweet A-frame on the tidal river. Great party house for senior year.

Apparently this place on Moosehead lake does sunrise and sunset canoe trips to spots they know the moose go. Wife has been wanting to do it for years. *le sigh*

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep - @dan-o's right. Parents are on the peninsula Damariscotta's on - town is a tiny little place called Round Pond. We've been going up to that area since I was born; rented a cabin in New Harbor when I was a baby; bought a cabin in Damariscotta when I was little kid; and then they bought the current place, with plans to retire to it, when I was 9. It's fun to take my kids up there. I know the spot @dan-o's place is - I think I got my first little dinghy from some guy that lived there. I lived in West Bath for a year when I was in college. It was a pretty sweet A-frame on the tidal river. Great party house for senior year.

Apparently this place on Moosehead lake does sunrise and sunset canoe trips to spots they know the moose go. Wife has been wanting to do it for years. *le sigh*
you complain about the drive now, but when you start getting that far north its absolutely gorgeous. (asides from the crippling poverty)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll never win a parenting award but my advice is ignore them.
The only cure for separation anxiety is forcing them to accept being alone.
You can't soothe that into them, they need to figure that out for themselves.
That's fair, but when the kid is on the verge of hyperventilating or throwing up because of the anxiety, then you really need to intervene. You aren't doing the kid any favors by leaving them to their fears until they barf and pass out.

I do agree that teaching them to deal with their anxiety or manage their fears is the best resolution, but we're talking about a two year old....he doesn't know and he doesn't understand- he senses fear and the only resolution is to go to mom and dad. The new aspect is the fear and where it's coming from, which is probably just the mental growth...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's fair, but when the kid is on the verge of hyperventilating or throwing up because of the anxiety, then you really need to intervene. You aren't doing the kid any favors by leaving them to their fears until they barf and pass out.

I do agree that teaching them to deal with their anxiety or manage their fears is the best resolution, but we're talking about a two year old....he doesn't know and he doesn't understand- he senses fear and the only resolution is to go to mom and dad. The new aspect is the fear and where it's coming from, which is probably just the mental growth...
strange things are afoot at the sandwich household