Quantcast

¿¿¿weds gmt???

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Possible ball joints were listed on the truck. I figure I will have a to-do list after the shop.

I am wicked happy with this purchase.
99.9% certain it's a ball joint. I had the same wear pattern (every other lug) on the front driver's side of the Brodozer (35" Wrangler MTRs), and sure enough the lower ball joint had a good 1/8"+ up and down play.

Although somewhat pricey, I highly recommend Teraflex replacements if they are in fact due for replacement. Super well made and greasable...assuming they make them for your truck.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
99.9% certain it's a ball joint. I had the same wear pattern (every other lug) on the front driver's side of the Brodozer (35" Wrangler MTRs), and sure enough the lower ball joint had a good 1/8"+ up and down play.

Although somewhat pricey, I highly recommend Teraflex replacements if they are in fact due for replacement. Super well made and greasable...assuming they make them for your truck.
Good to know. I've never had a tire wear like that before. Looks like Moog upper control arms are $100/pair and another $80 for the bottom ball joints. That's reasonable.

I still need to do the same for Frita. Maybe I will rent the ball joint press and make a weekend out of it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Good to know. I've never had a tire wear like that before. Looks like Moog upper control arms are $100/pair and another $80 for the bottom ball joints. That's reasonable.

I still need to do the same for Frita. Maybe I will rent the ball joint press and make a weekend out of it.
Careful with moog ball joints. They are often oversized to compensate for wear in the bore, which means that once they are pressed in, your bore stretches out a little as well. From there on out, you'll always need oversized ball joints.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The Neurologist gave me a bunch of tests today. I have taken many of them before so I already know the expected answers. Caliper tests just ask the same questions over and over in a different format. I can play that game as well. When they ask me my name. I always say I am Batman. I say if I can turn annoyance into humor then that illustrates how well I am. They don't seem to agree. My PCP says I need to take these matters more seriously. She has signed me up for more tests. I seem to have a disconnect between my hands and my brain. I have to concentrate very hard to perform simple tasks that my hands can't seem to execute. I can no longer cheat at Blackjack either. I am no longer running blank tape when I get anaerobic.
TBI FTL?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Careful with moog ball joints. They are often oversized to compensate for wear in the bore, which means that once they are pressed in, your bore stretches out a little as well. From there on out, you'll always need oversized ball joints.
What's nice is Teraflex offers both smooth taper and knurled taper, depending on the shape of your knuckles.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have never heard that. I have used Moog almost exclusively because I have had good luck with them. But I also haven't had something that required more than one set of ball joints before.

My neighbors Ram 3500 goes through ball joints every 40k miles. Seems like a serious design flaw, but he says "they all do that". :rofl:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have never heard that. I have used Moog almost exclusively because I have had good luck with them. But I also haven't had something that required more than one set of ball joints before.

My neighbors Ram 3500 goes through ball joints every 40k miles. Seems like a serious design flaw, but he says "they all do that". :rofl:
He's right, for the most part they do all do that. Not sure why, but I'll take poor ball joint life vs the death wobble they were known for.

Tell him to spend the coin on either Dynatrac or Carli ball joints. Spendy, but they are lifetime sorts of parts and can be rebuilt on the truck.

Dodge ball joint comparison, but it outlines the issue with knurled and oversized ball joints.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Have to assume he is running non stock wheel diameter and offset?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He's right, for the most part they do all do that. Not sure why, but I'll take poor ball joint life vs the death wobble they were known for.

Tell him to spend the coin on either Dynatrac or Carli ball joints. Spendy, but they are lifetime sorts of parts and can be rebuilt on the truck.

Dodge ball joint comparison, but it outlines the issue with knurled and oversized ball joints.

Is it a 1 ton thing? The neighbor with a 1500 doesn't seem to have that issue, but he also doesn't go anywhere or have a clue.

I think I recall the old neighbor talking about the death wobble.
Have to assume he is running non stock wheel diameter and offset?
Nope, bone stock.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Is it a 1 ton thing? The neighbor with a 1500 doesn't seem to have that issue, but he also doesn't go anywhere or have a clue.

I think I recall the old neighbor talking about the death wobble.

Nope, bone stock.
Different suspension between the 1500 & 2500/3500. 1500 is IFS, 2500/3500 are solid axle with radius arm.

In 2010 with the release of the 4th gen, they moved away from a Y-style steering setup. Its helped, but not eliminated the death wobble issues. Part of it is just the strength of the steering components and rigidity of the front end. A common fix is to add a cross member that supports the steering box to firm things up.

I think the relative compliance of the front end, especially paired with the Cummins, is just a weak point in the Dodge designs.