Quantcast

<¿> Sattiday <?>

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Son of a :rant:

Bashguide doesn't bolt right on, cause I need the special Yeti ISCG adapter. Rather than make 2 holes on the frame that are ISCG compliant, we have two random holes that you can bolt shit to so that it becomes ISCG. You've got to be kidding. :rant:
I broke down and paid their ransom. $40 shipped.

Perhaps I'll design one too for the sake of it. Keep my skills sharp.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have you tried it now?

Otherwise something like Tim has suggested, fishing or guitar wire feed that around and slide the nipples along it.

I'll be sure not to repeat your mistake replacing the spoke wifey snapped on Christmas Eve.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Got a flexible piece of wire (piece of guitar string maybe)? Might be easier to fish around in the rim cavity with that.

Or some shaped picks. The right angle or slight offset may work too.
Still fishing....wire idea might be next. If I can't get it by like 2am it's tear down and redo time...:banghead:
IMG_20201226_231822449_resize_98.jpg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This very thing happened to me just a few days ago. Broke a spoke on my front wheel with my foot. Replacement procedure started with dropping the nipple into the wheel. Argh.

It took me almost an hour to get it. In the end, I got it out of the valve hole (it is slightly larger) and I used a lot of lights so I could see the fucking thing (black nipple and black rim) and rattled it back and forth until it was visible one way or the other. Then I used another spare spoke to very very carefully thread into the nipple and voila. Took maybe three goes to achieve, and ages to get lucky shakes that would allow that. In the end the best technique was holding the rim right at the central axis and shaking back and forth like you do to spread sealant. I can see how this might change based on the cavity shape in the rim though. Good luck, it is annoying.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This very thing happened to me just a few days ago. Broke a spoke on my front wheel with my foot. Replacement procedure started with dropping the nipple into the wheel. Argh.

It took me almost an hour to get it. In the end, I got it out of the valve hole (it is slightly larger) and I used a lot of lights so I could see the fucking thing (black nipple and black rim) and rattled it back and forth until it was visible one way or the other. Then I used another spare spoke to very very carefully thread into the nipple and voila. Took maybe three goes to achieve, and ages to get lucky shakes that would allow that. In the end the best technique was holding the rim right at the central axis and shaking back and forth like you do to spread sealant. I can see how this might change based on the cavity shape in the rim though. Good luck, it is annoying.
Appreciate the help, but don't think that would help me much. Trying to avoid having to take off tire/insert/tape, clean up and reinstall all, if possible.

One lucky shake or the right tool to help guide it back through would save me that, but at this point it's more of a personal vendetta.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
At least you haven't had to go to harbor freight (I hope)
Not yet....I have all sorts of shit, it's just a matter of the patience and luck for it to happen before unmounting/replacing/remounting.

If I can't get it tonight I may try again a few times tomorrow before throwing in the towel. Everything went together so smoothly and sealed up no problem the first time around, so it would suck to undo it for something so stupid.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not yet....I have all sorts of shit, it's just a matter of the patience and luck for it to happen before unmounting/replacing/remounting.

If I can't get it tonight I may try again a few times tomorrow before throwing in the towel. Everything went together so smoothly and sealed up no problem the first time around, so it would suck to undo it for something so stupid.

Try your partners vibrator, or yours. Whatever is most convenient.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Under the "so crazy it just might work" could you put a compressor in the spoke hole and blow it out the valve stem hole?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Under the "so crazy it just might work" could you put a compressor in the spoke hole and blow it out the valve stem hole?
Reread my posts. Much like Chagleens suggestion, I'm not simply trying to get it out of the rim. I'm trying to get it to drop back into the proper spoke hole in the rim so I can thread the new spoke into it. No dismounting of tire/valve/tape required.

To be fair, it's not working so hot. Might try westys bone clone next....small, stiff and curved might do the trick.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Reread my posts. Much like Chagleens suggestion, I'm not simply trying to get it out of the rim. I'm trying to get it to drop back into the proper spoke hole in the rim so I can thread the new spoke into it. No dismounting of tire/valve/tape required.

To be fair, it's not working so hot. Might try westys bone clone next....small, stiff and curved might do the trick.
If you cut the rim in half you can get it out easily without having to remove the tubeless tape. Removing a large chunk of the I.D. with an angle grinder could also prove to be effective. JB Weld or electrical tape could be used to hold the spoke in place instead of the nipple.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Surely it’s worth taking the tyre and valve off at least? I think being able to see clear through the valve hole made my approach possible. I didn’t remove rim tape.
I didn’t realise you still had the tyre on! I expect that would be near impossible less a supremely lucky shake. Is there even clearance inside your rim for the nipple to orient itself appropriately?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I take that you never build a Mavic UST rim? Was a regular issue with those but some patience could solve it.