Quantcast

ÆÆÆÆÆ Tuesday GTM ÅÅÅÅÅ

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The punchline is that this design is being licensed by a 3rd party(company A), and the feature that either does, or does not violate the patent held by company B is 100% functionally useless, and only only included in the design so make sure it ticks all the boxes on our patent that they're liscensing. As I read it, the patent we may be violating actually violates the one we own and are licensing out.

Doesn't help that company A and B are involved in a huge suit over the one we're working with allegedly violating the other one's patent on a whole other product, and we're actually pretty friendly and do design work for company B as well. Like a goddamn Arkansas Family tree over here.

Think it's time to go back to designing armored vehicles, life's so much easier when all you have to do is stop IEDs.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I managed to get a cushcore insert into a maxxis dh tire on a dtswiss rim, all without losing a finger.
I'll throw away those wheels before doing that again.
Actually the front has one installed, the rear wheel is half done.
Second cushcore installed in about 10 minutes. It really is about just doing everything wrong the first time, just like life.
V10 is ready to go. BOOMSHAKALAKA!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The punchline is that this design is being licensed by a 3rd party(company A), and the feature that either does, or does not violate the patent held by company B is 100% functionally useless, and only only included in the design so make sure it ticks all the boxes on our patent that they're liscensing. As I read it, the patent we may be violating actually violates the one we own and are licensing out.

Doesn't help that company A and B are involved in a huge suit over the one we're working with allegedly violating the other one's patent on a whole other product, and we're actually pretty friendly and do design work for company B as well. Like a goddamn Arkansas Family tree over here.

Think it's time to go back to designing armored vehicles, life's so much easier when all you have to do is stop IEDs.

My company aggressively pursues stupid patents. I worked with a guy who held like 30 patents, all were basically variations of something like a clothespin. A clothespin with a fork on the end, A clothespin with a washer on the end, A clothespin with a 45 degree fork, clothespin with a curved fork on the end. At least his stuff worked, my favorite is when we patent stuff that was an unmitigated cluster fuck.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My company aggressively pursues stupid patents. I worked with a guy who held like 30 patents, all were basically variations of something like a clothespin. A clothespin with a fork on the end, A clothespin with a washer on the end, A clothespin with a 45 degree fork, clothespin with a curved fork on the end. At least his stuff worked, my favorite is when we patent stuff that was an unmitigated cluster fuck.
A guy I work with left a place that was a lot like that, part of their annual review was how many patents they got their name on throughout the year, nothing to do with actually using the IP covered by the patent, so guys just sat around inventing stupid shit they knew wouldn't already be patented.

Talked to the lawyers, they're 100% confident that we'd prevail in court, but also 100% confident it would go to court and that it would eat up all the profit from this deal, fair, I guess. So we're filing a new patent that eliminates the useless feature that's required in the original one, but that had to be reoriented due to space constraints and thus cause this whole ruckus. I did suggest we eliminate the tab and file for another patent at the outset of this project, but it was a "bad" idea then, as opposed to now, when it's a good idea. Dumb.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just sold my 2013 Ibis Mojo HD. Feels weird. It was my first new, high-end bike. That bike and I rode in France, Whistler, Arizona and Utah... I had been holding on to it for my son, but changing standards and outdated geometry made it not worth holding onto anymore. Covid bike craze meant I could get more for it now than I could a couple of years ago. The boy can ride his new hardtail until he fits on my current bike.

That $2500 will be a good down payment on a new bike for me :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just sold my 2013 Ibis Mojo HD. Feels weird. It was my first new, high-end bike. That bike and I rode in France, Whistler, Arizona and Utah... I had been holding on to it for my son, but changing standards and outdated geometry made it not worth holding onto anymore. Covid bike craze meant I could get more for it now than I could a couple of years ago. The boy can ride his new hardtail until he fits on my current bike.

That $2500 will be a good down payment on a new bike for me :D
my 2013 scott spark is just modern enough for a trail/xc bike that its going to stick around.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@slyfink that reminds me... a couple weeks back just for fun i did a geo comparison between my 2010 Furax and a 2021 Commencal supreme DH (same size - large). chainstays were 2mm diff. head angle was less than half a degree. BB height and stack height were comparable when accounting for the larger wheel size. only thing that was notably different was that wheel base and reach are 4" longer.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, the Mojo's were pretty bad geo-wise. Off the top of my head HA was 67°, STA was 71° and reach was super short... Standover height was unforgiving as well...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah, the Mojo's were pretty bad geo-wise. Off the top of my head HA was 67°, STA was 71° and reach was super short... Standover height was unforgiving as well...
always felt like the ibises were super short and tall, even compared to other bikes back in the day.

speaking of old bikes, pondering buying a buddy's ca. 2015 tracer for the kiddo. watching him hit legit rough/semi steep/semi sketchy stuff going faster than he has a right to on a too-large overforked hardtail last weekend about made me crap my pants.