Quantcast

ÏÏÏ Tuesday ÏÏÏ Tuesday ÏÏÏ

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:wave:

woo tracking # received for the 1up rack. Its in Chicago and says delivery for tomorrow. :popcorn:

Main road in the town I work in is still closed, hydro trucks are out there working.

The person Ganaraska forest was reportedly to be biking.

We got caught in the forest on our bikes during the same storm, but luckily only had to deal with rain and thunder, no wind where we were. The storm also arrived much earlier than what the weather peeps had forecast.
my brother is still without power. He bought a generator, but is running out of gas. Gas stations are either not functional because no electricity, or have hours-long wait lines and are running out of gas. He waited in line 2 hours yesterday only to be turned away because they'd run out of gas. Now he's running on fumes and doesn't have enough gas to wait in line for more...

All of my Quebec buddies have no power.

a few of my Ontario buddies have trees down, one on his car
1653406147316.png

a tree caught fire out front of another buddy's place
1653406045302.png

1653406063293.png

a one buddy's wife got rear ended at an intersection caus some dummy didn't know when traffic lights are out, you treat them like a 4 way stop...
1653406105909.png

It's a total shit show here! I'm not sure how I escaped any damage...

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
my brother is still without power. He bought a generator, but is running out of gas. Gas stations are either not functional because no electricity, or have hours-long wait lines and are running out of gas. He waited in line 2 hours yesterday only to be turned away because they'd run out of gas. Now he's running on fumes and doesn't have enough gas to wait in line for more... All of my Quebec buddies have no power, a few of my Ontario buddies have trees down, one on his car, and a one buddy's wife got rear ended at an intersection caus some dummy didn't know when traffic lights are out, you treat them like a 4 way stop... It's a total shit show here! I'm not sure how I escaped any damage...
That sucks, hopefully its sorted out for everyone soon.

And yeah the amount of people out there who are confused about what to do at an intersection when the power is out is.....alarming.

Also crazy how the storm can sweet over an destroy, destroy some stuff and bypass others. Like you, our house/property didn't experience any of the storm, it barely looked like it rained there.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a bunch of Baja Designs Sport level pods and they are just fine. Never saw the need to drop $1K on a Rigid or BD light bar, as they seem to be well into the point of diminishing returns.

I do have a 32" eBay special single-row on the truck. Clear main with amber sides. Very well built, and it was only $150.

I think I found some clones of the LP6's that fit the bill for 100 each and with all the same features.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. All meetings cancelled today, so so work compliance stuff then CFP study. I learned a ton about ash trees in the last few days, especially Emerald Ash Borer's. They are into Denver and heading south - probably here within 1-2 years. Apparently their kill rate is appalling high. But! If you get treatment started 1-2yrs in advance, your tree is basically kryptonite to them. So, get to tell the neighbors about it. Treatment is apparently relatively inexpensive too.

Wifey left for Palm Springs to hang out with her cousins today. Between drinks and pool sessions they're going to have a fun conversation about switching guardians for the girls to them and same for their kids. We refuse to send the girls to TX or TN and NC or AK correspondingly if anything happens to us and their parents are getting old. Gonna be a lot of upset old people and siblings soon...

For those with minor kids, get a trust put together. It says who is in charge of them as guardians and who is charge of the money (fail-safe). Also allows you to prevent kids from getting a huge amount of money age 18/21. You can write it up to get $A at age X, $B at age Y, $C at age Z. That allows for controlled dispersement.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That sucks, hopefully its sorted out for everyone soon.

And yeah the amount of people out there who are confused about what to do at an intersection when the power is out is.....alarming.

Also crazy how the storm can sweet over an destroy, destroy some stuff and bypass others. Like you, our house/property didn't experience any of the storm, it barely looked like it rained there.
edited to add photos. may as well throw this one up there, of another buddies parents place:
1653406379404.png

I went to pick up my wife at the airport yesterday and all the hydro poles around the airport still look like that. The airport is running on generators. good times!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I learned a ton about ash trees in the last few days, especially Emerald Ash Borer's. They are into Denver and heading south - probably here within 1-2 years. Apparently their kill rate is appalling high. But! If you get treatment started 1-2yrs in advance, your tree is basically kryptonite to them. So, get to tell the neighbors about it. Treatment is apparently relatively inexpensive too.
a few years back we had to have all the ash trees on our property taken out (13 of them IIRC). all due to EABs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I figured the Fox fork on it was almost that much. It's a tempting prospect and totally in budget after getting a discount on the moto.

View attachment 176813
Whilst only $500, it's still an older "outdated" 26" wheeled bike - which is what you already have. Is it worth spending the $500 or just continuing to save for something newer? No idea what you'd need to move the budget to, but something ~2013 vintage you'd get 27.5" boost wheelset and way more modern geo.
edited to add photos. may as well throw this one up there, of another buddies parents place:
View attachment 176820

I went to pick up my wife at the airport yesterday and all the hydro poles around the airport still look like that. The airport is running on generators. good times!
Plow a couple of feet of dirt over the wires and problem solved, underground power cables won't be able to ice up or blow down again!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Whilst only $500, it's still an older "outdated" 26" wheeled bike - which is what you already have. Is it worth spending the $500 or just continuing to save for something newer? No idea what you'd need to move the budget to, but something ~2013 vintage you'd get 27.5" boost wheelset and way more modern geo.
I honestly have not been looking recently, but when I was there wasn't much for less than $1500. I really have not put a budget together for a bike, I just happen to have some free fun money and this popped up.

In all reality I will likely get something next winter and might unload the RM7 in the mean time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Has worked like a charm for us down in Kansas - I don't think we've had any power outage longer than about an hour in the 20-ish years we've lived here.
Power flicked off and on up here at ~2am this morning :panic:
I honestly have not been looking recently, but when I was there wasn't much for less than $1500. I really have not put a budget together for a bike, I just happen to have some free fun money and this popped up.

In all reality I will likely get something next winter and might unload the RM7 in the mean time.
I just glanced at PB and yeah, it looks like ~$1500 is about where things begin. If it were me with budget constraints, I'd start saving and stick with what you've got or unload the old steed if you're willing to. Might get you to that $1500 mark a lot sooner than you think - $500 burning a hole in your pocket and ~$500 for your RM7 gets you most of the way there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'd bump that to at least 2015/16 to be more in the realm of what is "modern" geometry.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
They have been reported in this area for years; I'm not seeing high mortality as of yet.
Apparently they have been reaping destruction through Denver area.

I've been asking on the Reddit arborist sub about the tree because the guys that did the work were hacks. I had to stop them mid process regarding how to cut a branch properly. I've found a few more damaged branches higher up as well, so an arborist will definitely have to come out.

The consensus was that given the damage, @gonefirefightin was right with immediate weight reduction to counterbalance until a local arborist could get out there. That I was right with stopping them to go through how to properly cut the branch, that they didn't cut the branch stump right (but correctable), and that her SIL and brother kind of started all of this by cutting that branch off when I said to wait. Reason on the last being that it was likely repairable, if pinned and wrapped properly. It still has a longitudinal split, which might go to the trunk, given it's width, and had they not touched it, they wouldn't have messed up the balance or absolutely killed, by removing, the branch.

Even though I have a history of snap responding to things, this one I knew to wait on. And here we are.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i'd bump that to at least 2015/16 to be more in the realm of what is "modern" geometry.
Agreed there's always something you can bump to, but I was just going with minimum year to get "newer" geo, 27.5" and boost, so that wheels, tyres, fork etc are easily replaced down the line if required.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Agreed there's always something you can bump to, but I was just going with minimum year to get "newer" geo, 27.5" and boost, so that wheels, tyres, fork etc are easily replaced down the line if required.
i finally caved and put 275 wheels in my dh bike from 2010. one of the big drivers for that decision was tire selection.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Weren't the first 27.5 bikes' geos wacky?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So which tire (besides the Assegai) worth riding do you miss in 26"?
the only thing that's tubeless ready in a DH casing that i was able to find last year was the Michelin DH34. and before you have your luddittic temper tantrum they have to be tubeless as i run cushcore for DH.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Still can't kick this damn stomach flu, but at least I finally ate food

Started shopping around for lights last night, since when does a person need to spend 2-3k on lights that doesn't race or actually go over 30 mph in the dirt?

I do believe Rigid, Baja designs, ARB, nightforce and a few others have lost their minds.
Because overlanders have higher credit scores than they should.

Still hilarious what some dudes think they need on their 4-runner just to slowly make it to camp on a dirt road, compared to what we actually had when I was still racing offroad, shit we finished a race with 1 light after a roll. If we could do 75 through the desert with 6 100w halogens, I'm sure you can find campsite 23 at the damn USFS campground with the same set up. Couple guys at work have their "rigs" covered in high end lights, never even been nigh wheeling.

The Squardrons are hard to beat, but honestly I've had great luck with china lights and would go that route if I couldn't snag a deal on a name brand. Used a couple fake Rigids as ambers on the last pre-runner build I did, they've been on every time the trucks been in dirt and they're still working fine. That truck has at least 10k offroad miles at this point, if they shit the bed on the next trip the owner will have gotten his $40 worth from them.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Still can't kick this damn stomach flu, but at least I finally ate food

Because overlanders have higher credit scores than they should.

Still hilarious what some dudes think they need on their 4-runner just to slowly make it to camp on a dirt road, compared to what we actually had when I was still racing offroad, shit we finished a race with 1 light after a roll. If we could do 75 through the desert with 6 100w halogens, I'm sure you can find campsite 23 at the damn USFS campground with the same set up. Couple guys at work have their "rigs" covered in high end lights, never even been nigh wheeling.

The Squardrons are hard to beat, but honestly I've had great luck with china lights and would go that route if I couldn't snag a deal on a name brand. Used a couple fake Rigids as ambers on the last pre-runner build I did, they've been on every time the trucks been in dirt and they're still working fine. That truck has at least 10k offroad miles at this point, if they shit the bed on the next trip the owner will have gotten his $40 worth from them.
My theory exactly, had a rigid radiance on my last jeep and one branch broke the whole damn thing, was out 1500 bucks, ended up going with individual lights and replacing them as needed but never had to swap any out even with a ton of limb strikes at moderate speeds. Actually now prefer having individual lights rather than a bar so I can tune the beams as needed. The baja Design clones honestly look no different than the originals, they may be 1-2 amps less draw per unit but I dont notice the difference, plus they have the DRL versions for a fraction of the real deal.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i had a custom DH frame some time ago that had a bb height of 12 5/8". even with 165 cranks the pedal strikes got old quick.
My setup does encourage one to pay close attention to what you’re doing. Had an SX-trail that was prone to pedal strikes so I was already used to it by the time I started riding Banshees.

Worst one was catching a pedal on a root while out of saddle sprinting. Got flung so far over the bars that I almost ran over myself. Left a gouge in the dirt from my helmet digging in.

But ever time I rail a corner and feel like a WC pro for a millisecond on that bike then the pedal strikes are totally worth it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My theory exactly, had a rigid radiance on my last jeep and one branch broke the whole damn thing, was out 1500 bucks, ended up going with individual lights and replacing them as needed but never had to swap any out even with a ton of limb strikes at moderate speeds. Actually now prefer having individual lights rather than a bar so I can tune the beams as needed. The baja Design clones honestly look no different than the originals, they may be 1-2 amps less draw per unit but I dont notice the difference, plus they have the DRL versions for a fraction of the real deal.
Same here, I've always run multiple small LED bars over 1 big one, you lose potential lumens from the gap between bars as opposed to 1 solid one, but who cares, still more than I need. Biggest improvement in lighting was learning to turn them off, same as riding MTBs at night, I run minimal light most of the time, and save the high beams for when I'm going fast. That and finding the right mix of color temperatures and mounting locations, I'll take 2 20" bars, one on the roof, one on the bumper over a single 60" every day of the week, that vertical spread makes a huge difference in actually being able to read terrain.

Biggest downside I've seen in the china lights is they come with garbage connectors, and the beam patterns aren't quite as nice. Beyond that, as long as you stick to a clone of a western light so you don't hose yourself on mounting options they're legitimately great.