Quantcast

Ò Well? Ò

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Awake due to crying small child; still tired. Probably going climbing today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Probably bringing the kids to Ruby Hill bike park, then dropping off the 5010 at Golden Bike Shop because the creak of doom is back after a single ride.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
brrr, it's chilly in here! i'll take it while it lasts.
Ride this morning, making spare ribs later.

Happy Canadia Day to our northern :monkey:s @canadmos , @slyfink , @MMike , @Da Peach (who else? is BMXman still here?) ... I hope you have a great day of celebrating the invention of poutine!!
thanks! still alive despite yesterday's world cup induced domestic situation. have set up a bouncy castle outside, but it's already a million degrees in there. getting ready to head out to my brother in laws place in the country for a giant picnic. hopefully, my father in law has the AC cranked as much as he usually does, caus' its gonna be another crazy day out there... The humidex is already at 110°F.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning monkeys! All 6 other riders bailed yesterday so I rode out the party solo, it was a little less than 30 miles with headwinds the entire distance, it took me 2:40 with less than 500 feet of gain the entire distance. Winds were 16 to 18 at the start and 20 to 22 when I finished. Kind of tired so I may use the wind as another excuse not to paint...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:stupid:

The best part about being away from here for a month was not being here for a month. :dead:
it's funny....you look up air bnb listings for spots in europe versus places i want to go in the states.....europe is always fucking cheaper....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
we cleaned the eff outta the house because wifey was on teh warpath about getting it done before we leave for the beach on wednesday morning and the housesitter comes. going to some pops concert/picnic/fireworks thing tonight, aka: sweatathon 2018.

made myself a pizza and having a (some) beer(s) for lunch.

not much else to report. it’s hot and humid. need to clean and de-grit-ify the bike when we get home.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I decided that bargaining with Golden Bike Shop over goodwill credit for the shitty, creaking RF Cinch cranks on the 5010 (with two trips to there) wasn’t worth it. I shall instead order some Shimano parts. I think I’ll be restricted on chainring size so may have to go bigger in the cassette than my 10-42 XD driver X01 setup.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I decided that bargaining with Golden Bike Shop over goodwill credit for the shitty, creaking RF Cinch cranks on the 5010 (with two trips to there) wasn’t worth it. I shall instead order some Shimano parts. I think I’ll be restricted on chainring size so may have to go bigger in the cassette than my 10-42 XD driver X01 setup.
Let the Eagle soar!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My LBS guy is doing the hard sell on "upgrading" my the GX on the Yeti to GX Eagle, the addional pie plate and other bits would run about $450... tempting but I'm gonna try increasing leg strength first.
For sure, but it sounds like Toshi needs/wants moar teeths.

@Toshi, what chainring did you have on your RF setup? I suppose you could grab an XT cassette with the 46t.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
brrr, it's chilly in here! i'll take it while it lasts.
Ride this morning, making spare ribs later.

Happy Canadia Day to our northern :monkey:s @canadmos , @slyfink , @MMike , @Da Peach (who else? is BMXman still here?) ... I hope you have a great day of celebrating the invention of poutine!!

Good day to you as well, sir!

I tried to go ride some DH, but these good damn brakes spoiled the day again.

Three or so weeks ago I purchased new pads, put them in and rode for a few hours. Fast forward three weeks of not riding the bike, and these new pads are already contaminated with oil. Zomg.

Still somehow made so and did 2-3 mellow trails. I can full fist grab the front brake and it barely slows my fat ass down.

But still, the day could be worse. Beer in hand.

I have no clue who these people are, but took this during a pre break.
Dusttttt

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For sure, but it sounds like Toshi needs/wants moar teeths.

@Toshi, what chainring did you have on your RF setup? I suppose you could grab an XT cassette with the 46t.
I run 28 x 42 with a 27.5” x 24” meat now. 32 x 46 would be no bueno but 30 x 46, hmmm

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm climbing in 32x45.
The Yeti climbs in 32 / 42, converting to Eagle would be 32 / 50 which seems excessive + $400.00.

The GT runs a 22 / 36 because triple.

I think better in ratios - the Yeti is 1.3125, the GT 1.36, an Eagle would be 1.56. I typically have little trouble climbing on the GT so if I lost 20 LBS and hammered on the road bike once a week...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I’m at 0.71 (30/42) oval and manage ok.

I’d think a 0.65 (30/46) would get you to the top, @Toshi.

Apparently you can switch just the big cog on the XTR cassette and go Wolftooth or some other... XT requires a bit more grinding as the 3 biggest cogs are in a pod, but also do-able.

I would suggest a 30oval/42. I think it actually works. That moment of 28/42 keeps the forward progress going just enough.

Or you could wait a bit and hold out for the lower end 12speed Shimano stuff...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm on 11 speed X01 now, so I think a swap to Shimano non-creaky cranks/BB, a 30t ring (not sure if oval exists in Shimano-land and not totally in love with my 28t oval that I currently have), and an 11-46 Shimano cassette would do it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm on 11 speed X01 now, so I think a swap to Shimano non-creaky cranks/BB, a 30t ring (not sure if oval exists in Shimano-land and not totally in love with my 28t oval that I currently have), and an 11-46 Shimano cassette would do it.
SAy hi to your uncle Bob

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I am (gasp) running a 30/50 setup...but not because need/want the actual 30/50 gear, but because I want to make the eagle xo cassette last as long as it possibly can, which means staying out of the 50t (aluminum) cog as much as possible, and instead (usually) climbing in the 30/42 (steel).
That being said, I did find myself in the 30/50 on one climb today, and I wasn't even ashamed.
It was brutally steep, and I cleaned it.
Bitches.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ah, but I neglected XD vs. Shimano drivers.

:shakes fist at clouds:

30t SLX ring, BB, and crank in my Universal Cycles shopping cart. Now to figure out the cassette or decide to suck it up in 30 x 42.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ah, but I neglected XD vs. Shimano drivers.

:shakes fist at clouds:

30t SLX ring, BB, and crank in my Universal Cycles shopping cart. Now to figure out the cassette or decide to suck it up in 30 x 42.
My RF cinch stuff works great. Grease it now?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My RF cinch stuff works great. Grease it now?
I've had recurrent creaks and clunks from it over the 2 years or so I've had this bike.

On the upside, I figured out that Wolf Tooth has my back with narrow-wide/single ring use 26 and 28t chainrings for Shimano. This is good, since converting my Boost DT 350 freehub didn't seem easy to figure out (so many options!) and the only extended range 11 speed XD cassettes seem to be the pricey e13 options with that funky mounting system and 9t that I'd never ever use.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/96-mm-bcd-chainrings-for-shimano-xt-m8000

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am (gasp) running a 30/50 setup...but not because need/want the actual 30/50 gear, but because I want to make the eagle xo cassette last as long as it possibly can, which means staying out of the 50t (aluminum) cog as much as possible, and instead (usually) climbing in the 30/42 (steel).
That being said, I did find myself in the 30/50 on one climb today, and I wasn't even ashamed.
It was brutally steep, and I cleaned it.
Bitches.
You are worried about the 50T cassette sprocket, but no concerns about the 30T chainring that is under torque 100% of the time?