Quantcast

Öhlins TTX22M

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
What are everyone's thoughts on these vs the current DHX2?

Are there still reliability issues with ÖÖÖhlins?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I would put the DHX2 at the absolute bottom of the heap for reliability amongst the current options on the market while the Ohlins coil shocks have been quite durable in my experience.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I have a ttx22m on my smash I t’s been flawless, before that a x2 float and hazzard before that. The Ö has the less time but the shock functions better than both. I feel the shock will be reliable and it doesn’t weep or change, the 3 position in the firm position makes it ride higher, but when it hits a square edge it still moves and has traction. All other shocks I have tried just make it hard or harsh.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
What’s the ttx air like?
The TTX Air is probably the best air shock I have ever ridden, including avy tuned shenanigans. Very smooth, even compared to larger diameter coil shocks, and the damping works really well, just like the TTX coil.

I also really like the adjustments on them, it is easy to get a dialed feel, and quickly.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Some people around me have got their TTX air (edit: or probably STX air) repeatedly changed under warranty on their specialized (I don't recall which one) supposedly because the yoke is putting to much unwanted stress on the shock...

The TTX coil seems to be quite reliable. The damping was a bit on the harsher side on the first generation but this is now apparently fixed.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Oof, I’d talked myself into a coil...

The TTX Air is probably the best air shock I have ever ridden, including avy tuned shenanigans. Very smooth, even compared to larger diameter coil shocks, and the damping works really well, just like the TTX coil.

I also really like the adjustments on them, it is easy to get a dialed feel, and quickly.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Some people around me have got their TTX air repeatedly changed under warranty on their specialized (I don't recall which one) supposedly because the yoke is putting to much unwanted stress on the shock...

The TTX coil seems to be quite reliable. The damping was a bit on the harsher side on the first generation but this is now apparently fixed.
I think you are referring to the STX air. Which was a terrible shock, for sure.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Agree, pretty confusing, and strange to keep such similar naming convention when re-launching after a failed product.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yeah they are in NC.

No clue on costs, but I think my local service guy can handle basic rebuilds on them, plus I think Der SHIMZ are standard.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@rpet Did you end up getting one?
I’m loving this one lately! I run a little softer spring on the Ohlins than the Fox because the damping feels real nice. They have been incredible reliable and I haven’t had a leaky one yet. Just make sure you get the right rebound tune for your spring rate. They are very easy to revalve and bleed too.

CDB2EFDB-AD69-40EA-96F3-336765271412.jpeg
83074E09-9E5D-4485-939B-B7D4B68B685A.jpeg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Not yet, but it will be on order soon.

Thanks for your input!

@rpet Did you end up getting one?
I’m loving this one lately! I run a little softer spring on the Ohlins than the Fox because the damping feels real nice. They have been incredible reliable and I haven’t had a leaky one yet. Just make sure you get the right rebound tune for your spring rate. They are very easy to revalve and bleed too.

View attachment 149442View attachment 149443

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I set the LSC where I like it for the down, Maybe +/- 1 click here and there... And then use the HSC for both up and down adjustment.

HSC3 for long climbs on (smoother) access roads, as well as bike park descents.

HSC2 for all around (most) riding

HSC1 for very steep and technical descending.

realistically I am in HSC2 80%+ of the time

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
This is super exaggerated and way simplified, but here is how it feels conceptually.

EEBD52F1-26AB-4BA8-B69C-847E2C7C7142.jpeg
EEBD52F1-26AB-4BA8-B69C-847E2C7C7142.jpeg

I find all useable and not “overly granular”. A clear difference that lines up to how I would use them.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Morning all.

I'm running a Marzocchi Moto C2R on my V10.6. It's sounding like it needs a service. This will probably be around $200 Aud, maybe a bit more.

I've found a new Ohlins going for $600 Aud, which seems like a good price.

Is an Ohlins enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra expense? On that note, is it durable and low maintenance?

Or should I stick with the C2R?

Cheers!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Did you like the feel of the Marzocchi? I think those are single tube and a bleed screw on the ifp so it should be easy to bleed or rebuild if you wanted to attempt it yourself. If the tune is right then I think the Ohlins are very nice. I have had great luck with durability and haven’t had one leak oil. I have had to bleed two after a season or two but I felt like that was ok. Just make sure you get the right rebound tune for the spring rate if you do get one.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Did you like the feel of the Marzocchi? I think those are single tube and a bleed screw on the ifp so it should be easy to bleed or rebuild if you wanted to attempt it yourself. If the tune is right then I think the Ohlins are very nice. I have had great luck with durability and haven’t had one leak oil. I have had to bleed two after a season or two but I felt like that was ok. Just make sure you get the right rebound tune for the spring rate if you do get one.
The Marzocchi felt nice enough... the dials actually made a difference and I used them to tune it to a workable level. With that said, I don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm wondering if the Ohlins is a good step up. Certainly they have that reputation, and the price is not bad, so I am tempted.

When you say tune the Ohlins to rebound, are you referring to external adjustments? Or have you taken yours apart to really tune it? Related question: what is it like to work on?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
buckoW knows more than I, but my understanding is that the TTX22M when purchased aftermarket have a relatively light rebound tune.
On my Meta, I am running an aftermarket 2020 TTX22M at 1 click out from full closed, and if I were heavier I would need to run it full slow / closed.

So, depending on your bike, weight and riding style, you many need MOAR shims or a heavier oil, possibly.

I really like the shock!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
buckoW knows more than I, but my understanding is that the TTX22M when purchased aftermarket have a relatively light rebound tune.
On my Meta, I am running an aftermarket 2020 TTX22M at 1 click out from full closed, and if I were heavier I would need to run it full slow / closed.

So, depending on your bike, weight and riding style, you many need MOAR shims or a heavier oil, possibly.

I really like the shock!
That’s exactly what I meant. I really like mine too!

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.

I really like the shock!
Ok, I take it that you mean a heavier spring will be kind of bucky. Any idea what the cut off is? Or any way of finding out? I'm running a 500lb spring on my V10.

The issue is it's an eBay purchase with not that much info. I've sent a question to the seller, but I'm not holding my breath for an informative response.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Standard rebound tune works well for me at 500lb spring, fwiw.

my advice would be to just shoot them an email and ask. They have a big bank of frames to recommend initial setup.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Well, I'm eating humble pie. The owner got back to me, said the tune is standard factory, C40/R30. I've asked him if this will be suitable for me with a 500lb spring, see if he correlates with what you guys are saying, @marshalolson and @rpet

Can any monkeys help me out... Is there info out there I can access in terms of available tunes (i.e. C40, C50, C60 etc), and what those numbers feel like? The closest I can find is in the comments section of an NSMB review of the shock.

Thanks again team!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I’d just call or email Ohlins. They really do have a full bank of bikes and can just answer this for you really Easily.

They seem to really know their stuff, based on everything they have told me has been right on the money to my experience

Not about buying the shock used, just confirming if the stock tune is correct for your bike, rider weight, and ability.