Quantcast

ñññññññ Finally Friday GTM ∑∑∑∑∑∑∑

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is there a pressure reducing valve (PRV)? My place had terrible pressure and a noticeable PSI drop from the street to the house. Idiot builders direct buried the valve (i.e. no valve box). The valve had failed, which resulted in a huge drop in pressure. However, if you don't know it's there, you don't know you need to replace it (see no valve box portion of post).

No such thing. House is 112 years old, and it is pretty safe to say the water infrastructure is equally as old. There is a non pressurized antique cast iron water tank down the street. Pretty sure any water pressure I get is just based on the height of that thing.

1666969882967.png

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dang. Can you get street pressure and pressure as it comes in, along with tank pressure? Is your water usage high? Pressure drops can be restrictions or leaks, or both! Sounds like its time to fuck around and find out!

No unusual usage, no leaks. Static pressure and flow rates just meet city minimums but drop a few psi lower than that during peak usage. So it is not super low. Just annoying.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Yeah, that ain't much if it's strictly head pressure. I think you're an engineer so I'm guessing you already knew that though...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

No I was on the beast coast for a day, soon to be sitting in a chair in the sky.

Q: Is it too early for a beer?

A1. No
A2. No, but in red.
It's a scientific fact that airports do not exist in a dimension where time flows as we recognize it. As such, it is socially permissable to drink and any given moment, regardless of whatever "time" it may appear to be.

No such thing. House is 112 years old, and it is pretty safe to say the water infrastructure is equally as old. There is a non pressurized antique cast iron water tank down the street. Pretty sure any water pressure I get is just based on the height of that thing.

View attachment 183881
When I lived on the coast, my apartment was at the bottom of a very steep hill which upon sat the water tower. That place had water pressure that felt like you were being pressure washed. I know correlation /= causation and I'm definitely no engineer, but god damn do I wish I could get water pressure like that everywhere.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yep. In theory, I should be keeping others busy with drafting assignments, but the reality of our workload and current drafting staff capabilities means that I spend most of my time drawing.
So long as it means people won't talk to you, that sounds like a win.

Says the guy who just found out a part is no longer available, no known alternates have been identified, and production already ran out of them and is shut down because of it. :banghead:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
So long as it means people won't talk to you, that sounds like a win.

Says the guy who just found out a part is no longer available, no known alternates have been identified, and production already ran out of them and is shut down because of it. :banghead:
It's great in the short term for the reasons you mentioned. Not so great in the long term. Does make for an excellent Friday, though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
When I lived on the coast, my apartment was at the bottom of a very steep hill which upon sat the water tower. That place had water pressure that felt like you were being pressure washed. I know correlation /= causation and I'm definitely no engineer, but god damn do I wish I could get water pressure like that everywhere.
I had to install a pressure valve in our house because the pressure was quite a bit above the recommendation for residential service (90psi IIRC measured out at a hose bib).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Repeated calls this and last week: "I can't give my boss a retirement date until I talk to you. I have to talk to you.

"Sorry I was out last week. I'm available [1hr window Wed] and then not until Friday"

Wednesday after window: "sounds great, my number is #."

"That was only for this morning. I'm now only available Friday for [1hr slot]"

"Great. We'll talk then"

Today: "I have an appt at [in 1hr block]. I'm available after [end of block].

"I'm sorry, but I'm not available then. I have time Tuesday [2hr block] or Friday [2hr block]"

"Why aren't you calling me? I can't retire until we talk!!!"

"Uh..."

Planning to retire for 6mos. Didn't hear from them until days before they need to file a date.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Repeated calls this and last week: "I can't give my boss a retirement date until I talk to you. I have to talk to you.

"Sorry I was out last week. I'm available [1hr window Wed] and then not until Friday"

Wednesday after window: "sounds great, my number is #."

"That was only for this morning. I'm now only available Friday for [1hr slot]"

"Great. We'll talk then"

Today: "I have an appt at [in 1hr block]. I'm available after [end of block].

"I'm sorry, but I'm not available then. I have time Tuesday [2hr block] or Friday [2hr block]"

"Why aren't you calling me? I can't retire until we talk!!!"

"Uh..."

Planning to retire for 6mos. Didn't hear from them until days before they need to file a date.
Ahhh... the joys of... something. :D

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
^why? Bc they are just screwed to the housing and not to a common block with a big ground wire to an actual ground?

eta: too many people in here obviously spent too much time looking at shit like that…

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Our panels had a grounding buss bar that ran directly behind the entire width of the panel, granted you had to go through the panel to ground it but it made for short runs and easy terminations with a self-tapper.
I think thats how this is done - though really I have no idea what that mumbo jumbo is, but there is a long copper (?) bar at the bottom with the grounding straps going to it? I'm just a computer guy :busted:

This is a new machine from Germany, we'll see how tidy it is in 2 years...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Our panels had a grounding buss bar that ran directly behind the entire width of the panel, granted you had to go through the panel to ground it but it made for short runs and easy terminations with a self-tapper.
Dedicated grounding bars are much better than using the back panel as a grounding bar. As a lot of devices have grounded metal cases so you could be generating a ground loop, and those are high current high frequency drives that will radiate a lot of noise.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Dedicated grounding bars are much better than using the back panel as a grounding bar. As a lot of devices have grounded metal cases so you could be generating a ground loop, and those are high current high frequency drives that will radiate a lot of noise.
I would assume they do it for mobility and have a common ground for the outside of the housing or machine cabinet. Ours were all freestanding and mobile, bout the only thing I can think of

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Man, compared to the average aircraft electrical panel that thing is a Monet. I can't even imagine have that kind of tidiness and access.

Being German a good chance they are using E-Plan for the drawings. You will need that extra room for the apoplectic seizures that E-Plan drawings will cause.