Quantcast

üüüüüüüüüüü - Wednesday GTM - ∂∂∂∂∂∂∂∂∂

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
In bed late second day in a row and it's taking it's starting to hurt. Not sure if I have the strength to ride today.

Meeting at school yesterday was making me want to die. The amount of stupid coming out of some of the parents was tough to sit through.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
woody is pressuring me to go for a ride tonight

loads of stress at home, so not sure if I should blow off steam riding with some new homies or focus on reducing stress at home. Nothing I do at home seems to reduce stress, however...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dammit, I have a huge knot in my leg, on the back side right below the knee. Has me limping. Trying to rub it out, but it just aint going anywhere.

More training today, so "working" at home today".

Going to load the bike and join my friends for the weekly group ride. First time I'll have ridden or done anything super stressful on the body since the kidney stone last week. Will be gulping back water. I'll be slow and might meander off and do my own thing for a bit, but it'll be good to get out and do something normal.

Also we're into the fall weather, as least for a few days. Windows wide open with very cool nights, its been nice. Except for the random cats that come close and cause chaos with ours at 3am.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
9 days out from the MS City to Shore ride. I'm currently debating if its a good idea to put larger chainrings on my road bike this close to the event - which is a 75 mile ride. I meant to do it over a month ago, but life got in the way. it would go from 42/30 to 50/34. not a lot of climbing on the route at least.

still taking donations too!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Baby has her first cold, so she's having a tough go of it. Sleep was a little better last night but not great.

We too received much needed thunder/lightning (very very frightening)/rain last night.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
just wait until daycare and she spends more of the winter sick than healthy.
Unless something changes, she won't be going to daycare. Wife doesn't make enough money at her jerb to make it worth it (and I sure as hell don't make enough to swing it by myself) so she'll be a SAHM til it's school time.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Younger doggo was sick last week which made for a few lousy nights of sleep for me and Wife, but the dog has recovered so sleep this week has been much better. It makes getting up for my 5:00 AM workouts much easier. Anyway, 3000 yard swim done this morning. And the dog is back at daycare today, which guarantees a great night of sleep again tonight.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Found an RV resort in SW colorad-bro for the next few weeks, looking forward to getting out of the north before the weather hits, will be a 1k mile hop but would rather be near 4 corners and have the ability to squirt south if snow starts to fly.

Soon as I lined out logistics I hit the sack, not sure which direction the jet lag is worse.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
but for real, my daughter was sick super often at daycare....now she shrugs off any virus like it's nothing. COVID was 24hr of the sniffles for her. Still gets strep, but they all do. My son is currently getting his 1st week colds, but I'm hoping he'll prove to have the same resilience.

I still remember when kid 1 got sick for the first time. That shit SUCKED for all of us. I was absolutely wrecked, trying to comfort a sick kid.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
:wave:

Got a few boxes of peaches frozen before kiddo bed time.
Texting with a Sram buddy last night, I guess I accidentally some axs goodies as he sent me a tracking number this morning.

We have a NICA race here this weekend. I should double check the area they will be riding today. They are only running a 3.2 mile lap

New music today from Rezn :rockout:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but for real, my daughter was sick super often at daycare....now she shrugs off any virus like it's nothing. COVID was 24hr of the sniffles for her. Still gets strep, but they all do. My son is currently getting his 1st week colds, but I'm hoping he'll prove to have the same resilience.

I still remember when kid 1 got sick for the first time. That shit SUCKED for all of us. I was absolutely wrecked, trying to comfort a sick kid.
both our kids went through it. our son still seems to be more susceptible tho, he's 7 and still gets croup once a year. i remember when he was young there were a few times he was sick and he would only nap if he was laying on me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
both our kids went through it. our son still seems to be more susceptible tho, he's 7 and still gets croup once a year. i remember when he was young there were a few times he was sick and he would only nap if he was laying on me.
My son was medflighted due to low O2 during a battle with RSV. If he coughs more than twice, my PTSD kicks in.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Y'all got O2 sensors in your at-home first aid kits? Don't think we do right now.
So I was actually staring at the monitor and counting his breaths per minute. Dr Google told me what was unacceptable, and he was under that range. I made the decision at 2am to take him to the hospital. They calculated his O2 to be something like 77% or in that range. They decided they didn't have high velocity air, so they sent him to MGH in the city.

I have an O2 sensor in my samsung phone, and some of my wearables can do it. I know that garmins that can measure O2 during sleep usually have an option to measure it on demand. Samsung health had it, then took it away, then returned it, but it's basically just a red LED and associated sensor. I would check if you have it. I checked Kid 2's O2 using one of my devices last time he seemed to be getting sick, but it was fine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I was actually staring at the monitor and counting his breaths per minute. Dr Google told me what was unacceptable, and he was under that range. I made the decision at 2am to take him to the hospital. They calculated his O2 to be something like 77% or in that range. They decided they didn't have high velocity air, so they sent him to MGH in the city.

I have an O2 sensor in my samsung phone, and some of my wearables can do it. I know that garmins that can measure O2 during sleep usually have an option to measure it on demand. Samsung health had it, then took it away, then returned it, but it's basically just a red LED and associated sensor. I would check if you have it. I checked Kid 2's O2 using one of my devices last time he seemed to be getting sick, but it was fine.
FWIW the fingertip style pulse oximeters can now be had for under $50. if my kids were younger i'd probably snag one. They are even sold in pharmacies (cvs, walgreens, etc)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FWIW the fingertip style pulse oximeters can now be had for under $50. if my kids were younger i'd probably snag one. They are even sold in pharmacies (cvs, walgreens, etc)
good to know. I believe we may be out of the woods, but I would want to have one in my toolkit based on what I experienced.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
9 days out from the MS City to Shore ride. I'm currently debating if its a good idea to put larger chainrings on my road bike this close to the event - which is a 75 mile ride. I meant to do it over a month ago, but life got in the way. it would go from 42/30 to 50/34. not a lot of climbing on the route at least.

still taking donations too!

Damn I run a 53/39 on my road bike with a 28/11 cogset

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Damn I run a 53/39 on my road bike with a 28/11 cogset
my "road" bike is basically a dual duty road/gravel bike. i have a set of cx tires for non-paved surfaces. i'd actually been using the cx tires on paved stuff too, but i picked up some road slicks about a year ago to save the tread on the cx tires. first time i've used road slicks in years. really only built the bike up as something to ride when the weather is too bad to mountain bike. this summer is the first time since college i've done any real road miles since i was in college.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The bare minimum anyone should have in their home medical kit is the ability to check, BP, HR, O2 sat and temp vitals are key for diagnosis and knowing if emergency treatment is needed, you should also have a dual head stethoscope for airway sounds, A good light or pen light for examining ENT's, pupil response, and tongue depressors for checking nodes and throat.

Having several hours of these vitals recorded along with age, weight, and height along with chief complaints/symptoms is honestly the only way any provider over the phone will be able to recommend further steps.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
we have one, as our older son has asthma. does 02 and heart rate. nice to have around.

lots of odds and ends to try to tick off the list today. maybe having lunch with a buddy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The bare minimum anyone should have in their home medical kit is the ability to check, BP, HR, O2 sat and temp vitals are key for diagnosis and knowing if emergency treatment is needed, you should also have a dual head stethoscope for airway sounds, A good light or pen light for examining ENT's, pupil response, and tongue depressors for checking nodes and throat.

Having several hours of these vitals recorded along with age, weight, and height along with chief complaints/symptoms is honestly the only way any provider over the phone will be able to recommend further steps.
is that kit so comprehensive because you typically live farther away from populated areas? your medical history? little it of both?

none of that was recommended to us by our pediatrician, but then again their office is 15 minutes away. we've got 3 hospitals within 20 minutes, and a bunch of urgent care locations, including a pediatric urgent care run by CHOP.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
is that kit so comprehensive because you typically live farther away from populated areas? your medical history? little it of both?

none of that was recommended to us by our pediatrician, but then again their office is 15 minutes away. we've got 3 hospitals within 20 minutes, and a bunch of urgent care locations, including a pediatric urgent care run by CHOP.
Even though I have been a trauma medic for my whole career in civilian and military life these are tools that don't require any training to use and are the basis for assessment by any professional. They are inexpensive to buy but paramount for diagnosis. These are simple items any household and vehicle should have for yourself and your fam. Considering these tools and the vitals taken are the literal basis for an ambulance ride, ER check-in, or MD eval it is a gold mine in stats to have regardless of the outcome. Consider it an investment in your family's well-being and education in sound practice and training on your part. It isn't much out of pocket but its being prepared and puts the control and education in your hands

I would much rather err on the side of caution when it comes to me and my fams health than to be too late or wish I would have after the fact.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ok properly caffeinated. here we go.

went to the climbing gym late afternoon w/ my son once he was home from school. gym wasn't crowded. they installed autobelays a while back, since the gym wasn't crowded finally did my cert so i can use them (and use it with my son). glad i did it, since when I take the kids I previously had only been able to boulder (neither of them can belay me obviously). definitely had more fun being able to take turns climbing the big walls. my son thought it was super cool. he's outgrown the harness hand me down from SS, and just coincidentally the gym was running 20% off gear as a back to school special. so he now has a nice new mammut harness, and it's the kids version of the harness i have so it's a good one that'll last him a long time. we're gonna head to one of the other gyms (our climbing gym has 5 locations, our membership is good for all of them) this week or next b/c he needs new shoes too, and the next closest gym has a better selection of kids shoes. he digs climbing so we're gonna work it back into the weekly schedule now that school's back in session.

started breaking down my road bike to clean it and freshen it up ahead of next weekend's charity ride (donation link in my signature!). had to swap tires back to road slicks, cleaning drivetrain, straightened der hanger, checked brake pads. may or may not rewrap handlebars. considering putting a oneup carrier in it for a multitool. gonna finish everything and get it back together tonight. need to do a longer ride this weekend, but don't wanna overdo it. maybe only 40 miles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Thanks for the list! I don't know that I would bother with the stethoscope nor the tongue depressors as I don't know that I would know what to look for. If there are questions with breathing and such, Urgent care or ER isn't far away. I might scoop up that O2 sensor though, it's cheap and it doesn't have to be accurate- if it's within 5%, that should tell you if there's an emergency.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Coffee. Questioning life decisions.

my "road" bike is basically a dual duty road/gravel bike. i have a set of cx tires for non-paved surfaces. i'd actually been using the cx tires on paved stuff too, but i picked up some road slicks about a year ago to save the tread on the cx tires. first time i've used road slicks in years. really only built the bike up as something to ride when the weather is too bad to mountain bike. this summer is the first time since college i've done any real road miles since i was in college.
I'm doing the same right now. Giant Revolt mostly for road rides, the old Allez is now permanently mounted to a trainer. I've been wanting to buy a second wheelset to mount some road tires on, and wondering if the slicks will take my average MPH from absolutely pathetic to only slightly pathetic.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Thanks for the list! I don't know that I would bother with the stethoscope nor the tongue depressors as I don't know that I would know what to look for. If there are questions with breathing and such, Urgent care or ER isn't far away. I might scoop up that O2 sensor though, it's cheap and it doesn't have to be accurate- if it's within 5%, that should tell you if there's an emergency.
A stethoscope is the only way you can check for lung and airways sounds, its pretty simple since you can use yourself and other fam members for sound comparison. there are also tons of YT vids that describe bad indicators and audibles of unclear airways.

Besides, if you can spend a couple of grand on a bike and the tools to maintain them without any training, the same can be said for less than a hundred bucks of medical equipment to ensure we are on top of maintaining our families

Last edited: