Quantcast

ʘ±Ŧɸ Solstice GMT ɸŦ±ʘ

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
7.5 years ago I left my job at the sperm bank and I am still making money on the business. Who new.

Anyway I declare today The Young Ones day on Ridemonkey

If you do not know what I am talking about your life is not complete.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know when you watch something and it makes you sick to your stomach? This just nailed it for me.
I already drive slow in the neighborhood, but this is a good reminder

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You know when you watch something and it makes you sick to your stomach? This just nailed it for me.
I already drive slow in the neighborhood, but this is a good reminder
Brutal.
We've had two kids killed by cars in my 4.4sq/mi town in the last couple of years.
Today somebody passed me on the right near the spot one was hit, a crossing my boys use daily.
Car must've been going 50+ in a 30mph. It's a one lane per direction road.
I was tempted to follow them and 'have a word' but decided spending the holiday in jail wasn't the best move.
Ironically, the worst offenders (speeding, running lights, PASSING school buses with lights on) are overscheduled moms in minivans.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Brutal.
We've had two kids killed by cars in my 4.4sq/mi town in the last couple of years.
Today somebody passed me on the right near the spot one was hit, a crossing my boys use daily.
I was tempted to follow them and 'have a word' but decided spending the holiday in jail wasn't the best move.
Ironically, the worst offenders (speeding, running lights, PASSING school buses with lights on) are overscheduled moms in minivans.
I've had words with people a few times. Having a neighbor who is a deputy has its benefits too. On more than one occasion I have called Aaron to pay somebody a visit regarding speed in the neighborhood.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Back in '86 two girls from another H.S. were driving over to hang out with some friends and me. Girl "borrows" her mom's car, cuts through an alley to avoid the light, exits alley runs over and kills a 11yo boy while he rode his bicycle. The kid lived on the corner.
None of us ever heard from either of those two girls again.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Back in '86 two girls from another H.S. were driving over to hang out with some friends and me. Girl "borrows" her mom's car, cuts through an alley to avoid the light, exits alley runs over and kills a 11yo boy while he rode his bicycle. The kid lived on the corner.
None of us ever heard from either of those two girls again.
From what I have heard of the old neighborhood... yeah. They're pictures are on milk cartons.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Wife, her younger brother, her mom, and Mariko are off to see the Nutcracker. I'm at home, charged with putting the baby down for a nap (done) and manning the baby monitor while she sleeps (can do).

I am entirely down with this deal. Jessica has much more child-like excitement with regard to ballet and the like than do I.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've had words with people a few times. Having a neighbor who is a deputy has its benefits too. On more than one occasion I have called Aaron to pay somebody a visit regarding speed in the neighborhood.
this is funny.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Brutal.
If someone passes you like that you should hit them with your car. It will teach them a lesson, about how when you do an illegal move like that, any accident is their fault. Its hard to do though.

I love driving fast, i speed all the time. In neighbor hoods, school zones and parking lots its just a major "no". Ive been this way since high school. The people that do that shit are pieces of shit in my book. There is no convincing them to slow down as they think bad things wont happen to them. They think that kids should know better and nobody other than cars should be in the road. But for thousands of years city kids played in the street. attitudes of car accidents was different at first "what monster would drive a car where kids are playing" was the attitude with memorials to all the dead kids all over the place. The car companies changed that through propaganda. People died in car accidents for a long time and no one blamed car companies for making death machines.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If someone passes you like that you should hit them with your car. It will teach them a lesson, about how when you do an illegal move like that, any accident is their fault. Its hard to do though.

I love driving fast, i speed all the time. In neighbor hoods, school zones and parking lots its just a major "no". Ive been this way since high school. The people that do that shit are pieces of shit in my book. There is no convincing them to slow down as they think bad things wont happen to them. They think that kids should know better and nobody other than cars should be in the road. But for thousands of years city kids played in the street. attitudes of car accidents was different at first "what monster would drive a car where kids are playing" was the attitude with memorials to all the dead kids all over the place. The car companies changed that through propaganda. People died in car accidents for a long time and no one blamed car companies for making death machines.
:stupid:

There is a time and a place to drive like an ass. I drive my car the way it was designed to be driven, but I do it during daylight, with nobody around when only myself will be injured. I have car/medical insurance, but I don't want to put anyone else at risk.

People get pissed at my when I am in the RIGHT LANE of the highway going only 5-7mph over the posted speed. They feel someone in my car should drive like an ass ALL THE TIME like they do in their Prius.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The ONE task that I needed the maintenance department here to do today was to somehow find a way to mount/attach/whatever a computer in an aluminum box to a pole. Did it get done? Nope. Is the AGM going to be pissed? Yep.

Do I really care? Nope. Time to leave work. :D

:banana:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I know I can drive fast thanks to autocross and go karting. (BTW, local folks, we should go sometime as I suggested months ago. :D) Therefore I have no desire to speed on the road, and instead dutifully do 0-5 mph indicated over while keeping to the rightmost lane like a good boy.

After a blizzard around Denver this makes me seem like a maniac, on the other hand, since I see no reason to do 35 mph while straddling two lanes, but such is life.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

There is a time and a place to drive like an ass. I drive my car the way it was designed to be driven, but I do it during daylight, with nobody around when only myself will be injured. I have car/medical insurance, but I don't want to put anyone else at risk.

People get pissed at my when I am in the RIGHT LANE of the highway going only 5-7mph over the posted speed. They feel someone in my car should drive like an ass ALL THE TIME like they do in their Prius.
This. I drive fast, but within reason and control. I drive through the neighborhood at marginally over idle. Open roads? Fine. Where people are? Nope. It's juat a grown-up thing I guess.

There's a guy that lives around the corner from us who is a big dude; probably 6'7", 280#. There's another guy in his 20's with a riced out Legacy who practically rallies the neighborhood. Scott was playing catch with his boys when ricer dude come barelling though the neighborhood probably in the 40's. He full force threw a baseball at the car and seriously dented the door.

Ricer dude jumped out of his car and starts to lose his shit. A few other neighbors saw the whole thing go down and somehow nobody saw Scott throw the ball at the car. Just that the ball 'rolled' into the street. Aaron happened to be working in his yard and joined the conversation. I am shocked that ricer dude didn't get arrested for whatever reason Aaron could have thought of.

Ricer dude now drives well below 25 when driving through the neighborhood as do his friends. That sums up how our neighborhood deals with speeders. We don't like them.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I love driving.
Wouldn't you love being able to kick back as the vehicle drove you and your sleds/snow machines/whatever you Boston types call 'em up to Maine?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I know I can drive fast thanks to autocross and go karting. (BTW, local folks, we should go sometime as I suggested months ago. :D) Therefore I have no desire to speed on the road, and instead dutifully do 0-5 mph indicated over while keeping to the rightmost lane like a good boy.

After a blizzard around Denver this makes me seem like a maniac, on the other hand, since I see no reason to do 35 mph while straddling two lanes, but such is life.
Proper tires + awd + counter-steer = winter driving. Not a hard concept.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

THIS. Fuck. Will never forget this one jackass... I had the Subaru at the time and was in SOLID bumper to bumper traffic, putting along in 2nd gear in very right hand lane on the freeway. I was leaving a gap to the cars in front, so that I didn't wear my left leg out using the clutch every 15 seconds. This guy in a Tahoe or something didn't like that concept very much and tried to pass me on the shoulder. Nope, I admittedly pulled another dick move and floored it when he went on the shoulder, to block him. I've never seen anyone get that furious. I politely waved when he eventually swerved into the next lane over to try and pass that way....I'm pretty sure he was ready to blow a gasket at that point haha. The funny thing is, for all his weaving and swerving, I don't think he ever did manage to pass...

People just need to chill out and relax. Commuting isn't a race.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Wouldn't you love being able to kick back as the vehicle drove you and your sleds/snow machines/whatever you Boston types call 'em up to Maine?
High speed rural driving is my favorite.
Traffic? I'm all for self-driving, especially if sobriety is optional.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, I know it comes down to the fact that I work with some seriously lazy people. But I will never understand why you would go to Subway/Chipotle for lunch when there is a food cart pod with Tito's Burritos among a dozen others 2 blocks over. Another food cart pod 2 blocks from that, and a wealth of food carts just a few more blocks beyond that.

Granted, I have never eaten at Chipotle, but I grew up with taco trucks. And I don't mind walking another 4 minutes for amazing food.

/rant

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I am whooped.
6" was more like 10" in calm spots.
Champagne powder, but the crowds are here.
One lap out in Rock Springs.
As an aside on driving, I find it amazing that you can drive SO much faster back east/out west in major urban areas( where more people drive 70-90) than you could ever do on our wide open, sometimes empty roads out here. There are cops everywhere, and now that speeds are higher, there is about a 4mph buffer before getting pulled over. Cracks me up seeing so many lambos, ferraris, etc here in the summer. I don't think you could even get one out of second gear around here without being pulled over...

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ok, I know it comes down to the fact that I work with some seriously lazy people. But I will never understand why you would go to Subway/Chipotle for lunch when there is a food cart pod with Tito's Burritos among a dozen others 2 blocks over. Another food cart pod 2 blocks from that, and a wealth of food carts just a few more blocks beyond that.

Granted, I have never eaten at Chipotle, but I grew up with taco trucks. And I don't mind walking another 4 minutes for amazing food.

/rant
My mom and dad are convinced taco trucks have worms, I'm like yeah but they're tasty worms.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It's seriously primed for whatever we get. We have mad base. Above 8k didn't get negatively affected, under that is benefitting from the new snow. I stuck to groomers below that today, for example.
I would watch and wait.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Adios...

I've always said "I don't want to see the inside of that truck, but what comes out of it is golden". Kinda like going into the kitchen of your favorite Asian restaurant.
There is/was a place on Havana Street in Aurora...Chinese food out front, animal shelter in the back. Just an observation. :busted:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
THIS. Fuck. Will never forget this one jackass... I had the Subaru at the time and was in SOLID bumper to bumper traffic, putting along in 2nd gear in very right hand lane on the freeway. I was leaving a gap to the cars in front, so that I didn't wear my left leg out using the clutch every 15 seconds. This guy in a Tahoe or something didn't like that concept very much and tried to pass me on the shoulder. Nope, I admittedly pulled another dick move and floored it when he went on the shoulder, to block him. I've never seen anyone get that furious. I politely waved when he eventually swerved into the next lane over to try and pass that way....I'm pretty sure he was ready to blow a gasket at that point haha. The funny thing is, for all his weaving and swerving, I don't think he ever did manage to pass...

People just need to chill out and relax. Commuting isn't a race.
I miss the days when you could drive like asshole and the other drivers would apologize to you. Canada has changed. I think it happened when you started calling Ham Bacon. Its kind of like here now except you have more Asians, better Dairy Products, more varieties of Potato Chips, and less Guns.