Quantcast

ΞΞΞ gassed out thursday GMT ΞΞΞ

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There are a couple of "long-enough" climby bits on HECKTRACK that down is not down, really. I'd say a solid minute-plus could be knocked off with an eBike, easy. Especially after seeing just how fast those things can go uphill... there was a dude at Apex a week or so ago lapping Enchanted on an eBike. He was fit looking and kitted out, and had skills. He was a straight-up mountain biker... just on an eBike.

I was surprised at how non-emotional I was about the whole thing, even with him hauling ass uphill and passing me not once, but twice.
That may well have been Todd Munson, as he said he was out at Apex on 6/6 doing some Enchanted laps. Do you know him? He's a poster on NASIOC and apparently a top-5 Masters Enduro racer. He's faaaast.

Like 10:15 (identical on e- and non-e segments) on Mountain Lion DH fast.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1680823?filter=following
https://www.strava.com/segments/18195621?filter=following

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That may well have been Todd Munson, as he said he was out at Apex on 6/6 doing some Enchanted laps. Do you know him? He's a poster on NASIOC and apparently a top-5 Masters Enduro racer. He's faaaast.

Like 10:15 (identical on e- and non-e segments) on Mountain Lion DH fast.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1680823?filter=following
https://www.strava.com/segments/18195621?filter=following
Don't know him, but it could be? The dude was super polite, let us know he was behind us and would like to pass, etc. And when he did pass, it was literally mind-blowing how quickly he accelerated.

Also, I can see an eBike not being any more or less faster on that Mountain Lion segment... Enchanted though? Or HECKTRACK? Yeah... that eBike is gonna have advantages without question.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
She's met you, right? I'm certain she's used to a particular level of disappointment.
To her credit - she simply just doesn't believe me any more. I think she finds it endearing at this point in our relationship, though. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

What pub? What beer? I'm finding some brewpubs have beer that I can only have one or two of, or holy hell the hangover. Fortunately, my stop last night (Cannonball Creek) is not one of those places...
Locavore. Lillyhammer IPA. Then I had a Sculpin on return home. Probably should have not had the 3rd. :cheers:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are a couple of "long-enough" climby bits on HECKTRACK that down is not down, really. I'd say a solid minute-plus could be knocked off with an eBike, easy. Especially after seeing just how fast those things can go uphill... there was a dude at Apex a week or so ago lapping Enchanted on an eBike. He was fit looking and kitted out, and had skills. He was a straight-up mountain biker... just on an eBike.

I was surprised at how non-emotional I was about the whole thing, even with him hauling ass uphill and passing me not once, but twice.
i saw an e-biker last night. almost ran someone off the trail while he was climbing (the rider he almost ran off was climbing too).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i saw an e-biker last night. almost ran someone off the trail while he was climbing (the rider he almost ran off was climbing too).
There are douche canoes in every sport. Maybe the eBike will make it easier to pick them out of a crowd?
This. I've certainly run across rude riders on regular bikes (turquoise, polished, and otherwise), too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've got both the quick ups-n-downs (local) and the long grind to long descent (le pisgah).

they both wear me the fuck out! i prefer the latter for the typically more sustained descents.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
ride was decent but I'm not convinced that the seasucker rack doesn't fucking suck. Axle came loose (my fault) on the way home, noticed that one of the cups lost some suction midway home, so I tightened it up. Then it lost suction again by the time I got home. This is not good. Was hoping for a temporary solution until somebody comes out with a hitch, but at this rate I'll have to go custom or get the roof rack.

Also, I've finally lost 20+lbs. Tomorrow morning might put me under 186 for the first time since 2008, when I was lifting 5 days a week....
Russell Millerica early Saturday morning?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
My boss is covering me for a two hour meeting this morning. He offered...I did not ask. This is so weird. This never happens.
Weren't you informed the other day that you'd be working weekends all summer, or something like that? Maybe he's trying to play nice in the sandbox? Maybe I give people to much credit?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
there's a director in my building that's jealous of my bike (despite being 26") because of the build i've got. and he rides a yeti.
I boug'ed the ever living snot out of the first super nice XC bike I built up myself (rather than doing a stock build) and it was DOPE... dripping with XTR, CrossMax XL wheelset, Thomson e'erythang, crabon bars, yadda yadda yadda. After that bike I decided that "one or two notches below the toppest of top end" is where I wanna be for components. Translates into "mostly XT with a few non-critical SLX bits" spec if using the Shimano taxonomy. Been working well for me. And metal wheels? Totally fine, except that they're unrideabru.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Man, all this talk of riding short and punchy vs sustained is going to give me an identity crisis. Riding again in MA is probably going to cook me, though being fat and out of shape may be the real killer.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Met the girls at Village Coffee Shop & ate a panckae combo breakfast & now my gut is making demonic noises.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
At work now, riding later, no work tomorrow, hope we have work next week, going to be selling toys sooner than planned.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
an, all this talk of riding short and punchy vs sustained is going to give me an identity crisis. Riding again in MA is probably going to cook me, though being fat and out of shape may be the real killer.
It's the heat and high humidity that is the real killer for me. My body was not built for that crap.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> though being fat and out of shape may be the real killer.
This won't be a killer, but it *will* slow you down. Don't ask me how I know.

it's mostly the humidity. humidity is very high on the Kill List.
We run a humidifier year-round in the Casa de Skared. :homer:

This just in from the USFS in regards to Steamboat conditions:

"Still 8' of snow at the top of Buff Pass, (last week it was 9.5' - so coming off fast!!)"

:panic:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We turn our whole house humidifier off in AC season. Because we run our AC unlike the parsimonious Shared Skittles.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Man, all this talk of riding short and punchy vs sustained is going to give me an identity crisis. Riding again in MA is probably going to cook me, though being fat and out of shape may be the real killer.
What's the rules on e-motorbicycles in the Mass? :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We turn our whole house humidifier off in AC season. Because we run our AC unlike the parsimonious Shared Skittles.
Windows are open and with the cold air coming up from the basement we stay at a nice 72-74* no matter the outside temp. If it gets too hot I just fire up the whole house fan to blast the hot air that's been building up on the top floor and it kind of resets the temp. Energy efficient and cheap ftw.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Went to Salsa night (the dance not the food, although there was salsa the food also, confusing right?) at a local "nightclub" with my lady. I am surprisingly bad at salsa. But I'm good at drinking cervezas so it was ok.

Last edited: