Quantcast

ΞΞΞ gassed out thursday GMT ΞΞΞ

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Funny, pretty sure the rest of us have been certain of its suckiness from the get go.
literally every review has been pretty glowing for the thing..."Looks weird, worked great after I learned to trust it" My experience hasn't been as fruitful...lots of wobble with the heavy ebike, constantly losing vacuum with the mtb.

I tried changing pumps (and they are sending an additional replacement) to see if that helps. I think the reality is that I'll just never trust it on anything other than a 30m drive.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Heck come to think of it 35 minutes isn’t even to the top! I think we went 1:05 to the very top, with a 5-8 min break at the end of the 35 min segment.

Oh, did I mention it’s also loose and filled with gravel and semi-technical?
I fucking hate Belcher.

@jonKranked Front Range rides are like this... Parking lot> ride parallel to hill for 500ft (maybe 1000ft) - we call that warm-up > turn uphill and suffer up 6-9% grade singletrack for the next hour+ > bomb epic downhill for 10min > repeat until lightning starts at 4pm.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
At some point you just have to embrace Belcher and make the most of it. I worked over the years to see if I could clean it from top to bottom, but never succeeded. I managed to ride every section separately, just couldn't string it together into a single, glorious ascent.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
At some point you just have to embrace Belcher and make the most of it. I worked over the years to see if I could clean it from top to bottom, but never succeeded. I managed to ride every section separately, just couldn't string it together into a single, glorious ascent.
Do you count the weird whack-a-mole rock garden at the bottom as part of it? I mean... you kind of have to, right? That's the only place I put a dang foot down yesterday... including the awful awful loose section right where lower Longhorn connects.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The gut section at the bottom and babyheads after the switchback are what kill me. And the steep part up to the switchback, and the rock section after the babyheads, and the root section when you think you're at the top but there's another .25 miles. Fuck it. All of it. All of it gets me at any point in time.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Do you count the weird whack-a-mole rock garden at the bottom as part of it? I mean... you kind of have to, right? That's the only place I put a dang foot down yesterday... including the awful awful loose section right where lower Longhorn connects.
Sure do. That parts a tricky little mofo. For a while the top part of Belcher after Sawmill breaks off looked impossibly steep, but it turns out its actually manageable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Definitely can't clear the silly rock garden at the bottom. The big rock section just after Whippletree is too washed out to squeeze through the gap on the left nowadays so I clearly need to watch someone clear it... Some of the waterbars after Sawmill generally don't even warrant an attempt.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ugh dying here. Have barely ridden any bikes over the last few weeks. :(

Need to fix right meow.

Did get the front wheel retaped and inflated the other night. Taping the rim with offset holes was mildly annoying.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Did get the front wheel retaped and inflated the other night. Taping the rim with offset holes was mildly annoying.
The new tubeless road wheels I recently bought came with a small roll of 7mm wide tape. The internal spoke holes were each slightly offset and ~6.5mm wide. After taping and attempting to inflate tubelessly I gave up on the futility of the 7mm tape and bought my own 21mm tape.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
My dad just gave me his grandfather's pocket watch that he used while working on the railroads before WWI. Serial number search indicates this thing was made in 1910... it's a gold Elgin with no flippy face cover. It seems to work really well, so long as it's level and face-down. Gotta find a good watch mechanic and have it checked out. It's super neat.

*I'd take a picture but the camera on my other watch is jacked up and won't focus.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My dad just gave me his grandfather's pocket watch that he used while working on the railroads before WWI. Serial number search indicates this thing was made in 1910... it's a gold Elgin with no flippy face cover. It seems to work really well, so long as it's level and face-down. Gotta find a good watch mechanic and have it checked out. It's super neat.

*I'd take a picture but the camera on my other watch is jacked up and won't focus.
i have a watch of the same era that was handed down to me from my grandfather. still works. i'll check the details on it when i get home.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

edit: 1923 as I recall
20190613_135045.jpg

I have a bunch of info on Elgin and who still services these things.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Nice, I’ll have to get that info from you. Also, I have a friend who went to high school with the guy that was running the Oklahoma State University Watch Making Program... odd. Gonna see if that guy can have a look.
Good call. Folks that work on these aren't cheap!
I know the shop that bought out all the OG parts and tooling when Elgin closed up shop.

Do you guys have vests with watch-pockets to go along with your top hats and monocles???
Yes, of course. What do you think I am, a savage?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I broke the swingarm on the Shuttle. GBS called, and during the tear down as part of their fancy all singing and dancing full service they found a few stress cracks on the front part of the swingarm, the part that’s shielded by the linkage (so not a direct impact a la Stoney’s dime size swingarm impression on the Yeti).

Off to Pivot for warranty it shall go. I hope this doesn’t take too long. Perhaps I will need to demo some bikes in the meantime.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Definitely can't clear the silly rock garden at the bottom. The big rock section just after Whippletree is too washed out to squeeze through the gap on the left nowadays so I clearly need to watch someone clear it... Some of the waterbars after Sawmill generally don't even warrant an attempt.
I can clear the rock garden at the bottom, but I agree with the foreigner that the squeezy section after Whippletree inserts back in is no bueno this year. Perhaps up and over the rock on the right as one faces uphill is the new line?!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
on the trail of one eyed willie?
Goonies never say die!

I can clear the rock garden at the bottom, but I agree with the foreigner that the squeezy section after Whippletree inserts back in is no bueno this year. Perhaps up and over the rock on the right as one faces uphill is the new line?!
Up, down, or both? I'm pretty consistent on the way down, but there's one little move that vexes me headed up. Of course, if I had a motor... :think:

As for the squeezy rock section near Whippletree... it's totally fine on that left line. Up and over the rock on the right was the line 5 years ago... it's a bit steeper and moar erodeder nowadays and not sure I have the watts or the torque to clear it now. Of course, if I had a motor... :think:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Up, down, or both? I'm pretty consistent on the way down, but there's one little move that vexes me headed up. Of course, if I had a motor... :think:

As for the squeezy rock section near Whippletree... it's totally fine on that left line. Up and over the rock on the right was the line 5 years ago... it's a bit steeper and moar erodeder nowadays and not sure I have the watts or the torque to clear it now. Of course, if I had a motor... :think:
I’m fine on the rock garden up, down, with motor, without. Things like that are actually easier without the motor because occasionally it’ll do something that I didn’t intend based off of some crank movement that I did without thinking.

Hmm. I will try the left line again, perhaps. Getting awfully close to the pedals.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The gut section at the bottom and babyheads after the switchback are what kill me. And the steep part up to the switchback, and the rock section after the babyheads, and the root section when you think you're at the top but there's another .25 miles. Fuck it. All of it. All of it gets me at any point in time.
I'm with this guy - I pretty much end up pushing more than I ride. NTTAWWT. :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I’m fine on the rock garden up, down, with motor, without. Things like that are actually easier without the motor because occasionally it’ll do something that I didn’t intend based off of some crank movement that I did without thinking.

Hmm. I will try the left line again, perhaps. Getting awfully close to the pedals.
@Toshi said that eBikes aren't as good as regular bikes, that's what I heard.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi said that eBikes aren't as good as regular bikes, that's what I heard.
They’re definitely more awkward in situations where you might give half a pedal stroke here or there.

But being able to blaze parking lot to bench in 20 minutes if I have a bug up my ass makes up for that in spades.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Today's ride ended up with a thunderstorm that began shortly after we reached the summit, 25 or so minutes of rain, 10 minutes of hail and some very impressive thunder. We only rode 13 miles with all the downhill in wet conditions. Still fun thanks to granite. I am going to finish my day with the usual river ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I broke the swingarm on the Shuttle. GBS called, and during the tear down as part of their fancy all singing and dancing full service they found a few stress cracks on the front part of the swingarm, the part that’s shielded by the linkage (so not a direct impact a la Stoney’s dime size swingarm impression on the Yeti).

Off to Pivot for warranty it shall go. I hope this doesn’t take too long. Perhaps I will need to demo some bikes in the meantime.
Further proof that ebikes = kill list