Quantcast

Σώζω Mon GMT Σώζω

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
although this GMT is entirely too early, I now realize I've not traveled the world nearly enough.
This. I've travelled some, but need to more. I wonder at what age Haley will appreciate travelling...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This. I've travelled some, but need to more. I wonder at what age Haley will appreciate travelling...
Traveling isn't something kids generally appreciate since they don't have any real reference point to judge it against. Unless they're a teen, they probably won't even remember it much.

But, they will profit from the experience without realizing it. Don't wait.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I loved some parts of Grease. But I absolutely hated Athens. The acropolis was covered in cigerete butts. Most food was an oily mess. If your in Crete and can take a boat ride to bodrum, turkey, do it. It's the Turkish riviera. It was super rad when I was there in 2010. There was this restaurant right on the mediterain with a big ass aquarium and you could eat the fish.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I loved some parts of Grease. But I absolutely hated Athens. The acropolis was covered in cigerete butts. Most food was an oily mess. If your in Crete and can take a boat ride to bodrum, turkey, do it. It's the Turkish riviera. It was super rad when I was there in 2010. There was this restaurant right on the mediterain with a big ass aquarium and you could eat the fish.
The Acropolis was clean and not crowded - probably best to visit it in the Winter like we did. Very enjoyable. I preferred Athens to Paris and Rome.

Turkey is a big Nope - recent events make it a no-go.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I feel you on the no go with turkey. I was too young in Paris and Rome to really compare. grease is so much like Mexico but without the helpfulness, drugs and fun stuff like the dude with like 40 hats on his head or the kid with the car battery that shocks you and of course the tacos and cocaine. Santorini was so rad and sea food. I did get a full release haircut in Athens though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Feline hooligans doing their best impression of an earthquake woke me up before 6am. :rant:

Xmas party tonight. A very meh day otherwise. It is all Greek to me anyway.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Even with my "sick" day, I am already done with this week, ugh..... Someones going to get chained to the wall of the dong shed. :mad:

Traveling isn't something kids generally appreciate since they don't have any real reference point to judge it against. Unless their a teen, they probably won't even remember it much.

But, they will profit from the experience without realizing it. Don't wait.
We took my daughter to Costa Rica at 5 and Mexico (albeit Cancun) at 7. She still talks about CR. Like N8 says, I don't know how much she "appreciated" it, but I think it's safe to say it's sure helped shape the way she views the world.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I still have great memories of Mazatlan from when I was 6 so go do it, take the kids on the road. I spent 4 months traveling around Europe in 1980 in my mid 20s with prolonged stops on Naxos in the Cyclaides, Corfu, Florence, Grindlewald, Munich, Amsterdam, Stockholm, and this little village 60 km north of the arctic circle Jokkmokk Sweden.

As a long dead friend said to me when I was but 19 and he was 50 Make your adventures when you are young and able, because one day all you will be able to do is sit on the front porch. Don't be the guy sitting there moaning about how you wished you had done this or that. Be the guy telling everyone within earshot the stories of all your adventures.

Coffee in now to get my shit together for work

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin folks!

Bittersweet week for me.Very much looking forward to it being over so I can go on vacation but at the same time one of my best friends who I have had the pleasure of being coworkers with the past 3 years recently sold his house and quit his job. I'm happy for him as he's leaving to pursue the dream of not working for a while and having fun yet I'll certainly miss shooting the shit every day about cars and guns and cool places to explore in CO, all things that 99% of people at this place can't/don't understand.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Mornin Monkies! The family vacations I remember as kid involved fishing with my dad and running my mom over with my first 10 speed. Also luggage getting lost at LAX on the way Hawaii.

It was in the mid 30s at 5Am this morning, very windy too. I a circuit machine workout, 30 minutes on the treadmill and 4 entire laps in a pool that is not very big. It turns out I still suck really bad at swimming, way worse than I ever was. Since high school I have not been in a pool were beer wasn' t involved.

Greeceo looks nice but I still prefer things man didnt make. Except for trails. I like trails.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:wave:

Even with my "sick" day, I am already done with this week, ugh..... Someones going to get chained to the wall of the dong shed. :mad:

We took my daughter to Costa Rica at 5 and Mexico (albeit Cancun) at 7. She still talks about CR. Like N8 says, I don't know how much she "appreciated" it, but I think it's safe to say it's sure helped shape the way she views the world.
Please stop changing your avatar. I was definitely confused, because hook-boy doesn't have kids that I was aware of. It's too early for that kind of thinking.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mornin folks!

Bittersweet week for me.Very much looking forward to it being over so I can go on vacation but at the same time one of my best friends who I have had the pleasure of being coworkers with the past 3 years recently sold his house and quit his job. I'm happy for him as he's leaving to pursue the dream of not working for a while and having fun yet I'll certainly miss shooting the shit every day about cars and guns and cool places to explore in CO, all things that 99% of people at this place can't/don't understand.
How do you live in CO and not like that kind of stuff? I thought that was par for course.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Apparently every meal ends with a cake topped with home made vanilla ice cream drizzled with Cretian honey accompanied by a chilled beaker of Tsikoudia - this isn't something you can order, because (according to the waiter) it's "part of every meal, of course."

IMG_7557.JPG

Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
One thing I didn't expect was to see huge snow covered mountains - Crete has mountains over 8,000 ft which rise up out of no where from sea level.

Crete is a mountain biker's paradise, but damn.. you're always climbing!

IMG_7568.JPG

IMG_7564.JPG

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just realized that Wifey's company forgot to update her payroll when they gave her a raise back in June. We are getting back pay for the last 6 months, which should be nice. Hopefully the are able to get it in this calendar year, because taxes.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Mornin folks!

I started at my workplace 2.5 years ago. Two other guys started a year before me. One of them is the other guy getting overworked. He's the one who went on our June WR mid day sufferfest that got me back on the bike.

Well he's leaving on July 1. (We have to give 6 months notice or pay up $75k.)

This makes my exodus more likely yet.

Please stop changing your avatar. I was definitely confused, because hook-boy doesn't have kids that I was aware of. It's too early for that kind of thinking.
I totally parsed those posts based off of avatar, too.

Apparently every meal ends with a cake topped with home made vanilla ice cream drizzled with Cretian honey accompanied by a chilled beaker of Tsikoudia - this isn't something you can order, because (according to the waiter) it's "part of every meal, of course."

View attachment 124189
That looks amazing. :drool:

Just realized that Wifey's company forgot to update her payroll when they gave her a raise back in June. We are getting back pay for the last 6 months, which should be nice. Hopefully the are able to get it in this calendar year, because taxes.
Sweet. Buy that swingarm already. :D Also, isn't the important bit when it was earned, not the date on the check? Or are you just wanting to file early?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
seriously, cut this shit out.
It's like a never ending Christmas over here. I don't think there are anymore mystery cash sources coming up, but who knows.

edit: Apparently I quoted the wrong person here I meant to reply to @Toshi

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's like a never ending Christmas over here. I don't think there are anymore mystery cash sources coming up, but who knows.
The question now is what mystery cash sinkholes will pop up. What was the running total of must-do expenses last time I saw you post, 10K?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The question now is what mystery cash sinkholes will pop up. What was the running total of must-do expenses last time I saw you post, 10K?
It's working down. I was able to repair the heater, so that was the big expense. I'm going to start the process of levelling the basement floor - although it sounds like I might need to replace the OCB sub-floor with plywood (ugh) - so our cost there will drop as I'm not paying anybody to fix it. The deck we're waiting until winter passes to get that finished because of the needed sun/heat to stain. Most of the stuff has sorted itself out-ish.

It's not like we're spending the money though, it's just going to savings for when we actually need it.