Quantcast

Ω°Ω wtf weds gmt Ω•Ω

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Which should make our upcoming Italian holiday *extra-fun*... throw in that two of the kids will be old enough to legally drink and we've set the stage for some good times. :D
when is this....and.....please take pics of them doing push ups on the side of the road for old time sakes

Since it is fire season and Pacific Graft and Extortion has announced that they will cut power in case of certain red flag conditions. I pulled out the back up generator, charged the starter battery then fired it up and ran it for five minutes. I can run the entire house on this big puppy.

I find it interesting that you had to charge the starting battery prior to firing up the generator...

If a bunch of people do this it's probably more likely to set fires than PG&E's were they to be energized.
0.jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I find it interesting that you had to charge the starting battery prior to firing up the generator...

If a bunch of people do this it's probably more likely to set fires than PG&E's were they to be energized.
View attachment 134954
I had not used the generator for a while and the charge was down on the battery. Wasn't going to run the unit long enough to charge the battery and I was in no hurry to run it so I just threw the battery on the charger overnight before firing it up.

House has a transfer switch to isolate it from the outside lines before I hook up the generator.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
its amazing the shit we tolerate for a good benefits package.
I could make $30k more doing the exact same thing, but getting 5 weeks of vacation and a similar benefits package would be almost impossible. We have a 6% match and they do annual contributions to the 401k that have been an additional 6-8% of salary for the last 5 years. The extra 401k contributions make up a chunk of that and will definitely moreso now, plus I value my time off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I could make $30k more doing the exact same thing, but getting 5 weeks of vacation and a similar benefits package would be almost impossible. We have a 6% match and they do annual contributions to the 401k that have been an additional 6-8% of salary for the last 5 years. The extra 401k contributions make up a chunk of that and will definitely moreso now, plus I value my time off.
do you have a pension?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I couldn’t tolerate only having 5 weeks of vacation. That would simply not stand.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dude. Always use ALL the vacation. ALWAYS.

You should take the month of August off.

Just tryin' to help.
That said I'm going to hit the new year with a bit over 7 weeks of vacation accrued but not used… because all my time off this year is either free to me or from separate sick-time-as-parental-leave.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
PTO + calendar holidays puts me at 7.5 weeks vacation.

I should use some.
including calendar holidays i'm at 7.5 as well.

i also get other PTO such as grievance time for funerals, jury duty, major life events (i got a free day off for my wedding, as well as the day we settled on the house. the birth of a child actually counts under this and not parental leave).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's the one thing that I don't have. They pretty much don't exist outside of govt or legacy employees for large corporations now.
i have one, but i'm grandfathered in (and already vested). my parent company no longer offers an actual pension to new/returning employees. one of the main reasons i haven't left.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have one, but i'm grandfathered in (and already vested). my parent company no longer offers an actual pension to new/returning employees. one of the main reasons i haven't left.
Still remain skeptical. Pensions can be cut at any point and dumped on the PBGC… thank you, capitalism.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still remain skeptical. Pensions can be cut at any point and dumped on the PBGC… thank you, capitalism.
one of the reasons our parent company hasn't done this is that there would be a mass exodus of long term employees if they pulled this shit. it's why existing employees are grandfathered and they made the changes for new / existing employees.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m at 5.6 weeks straight leave, 4 weeks conference time (1 ok to take at home as CME)… and working 3.5-4 days each week on top of that. And jury time etc since state.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
What is this vacation devilry?

I'm self-employed so it's either I have way too much work or I'll never work again...

On the flip side my /////poverty vs time sacrifice yields a < 1000 hour work "year"

But what's really killing me is fixing up the houses in Island Park.

In two years I should be doing a lot better financially and more importantly BIKlNG more...

F*** that s*** I'm on the hwy to meet @Serial Midget for a ride...

Tobacco Roots still snowy so another day in Butte.
IMG_20190613_091100.jpg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have A.) no idea how many days of PTO I get per year and B.) can't remember the last time I worked a full pay period without taking some time off that I also didn't use PTO for and C.) I forgot what C was for and D.) working from home is the swizzle.

I had not used the generator for a while and the charge was down on the battery. Wasn't going to run the unit long enough to charge the battery and I was in no hurry to run it so I just threw the battery on the charger overnight before firing it up.

House has a transfer switch to isolate it from the outside lines before I hook up the generator.
I presume that you know not to let it drain down enough to damage it...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I dropped my pack fishing rod. I was wearing my glasses and they fell off my face in the fast water going after my pole. The pole and my glasses are gone. Fuckity fuck... I rode my bike home. By the time I got back with help. My car was towed. Officer Dimascio was helpful and gave me a ride to the tow lot. I did not posses my registration and was denied. Fuckity fuck! He did not give me a ride home.Walking home was rather difficult without glasses. I am home now. Blind...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I dropped my pack fishing rod. I was wearing my glasses and they fell off my face in the fast water going after my pole. The pole and my glasses are gone. Fuckity fuck... I rode my bike home. By the time I got back with help. My car was towed. Officer Dimascio was helpful and gave me a ride to the tow lot. I did not posses my registration and was denied. Fuckity fuck! He did not give me a ride home.Walking home was rather difficult without glasses. I am home now. Blind...
Your life is quite an adventure...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Managed to wrestle the cookie sheet heat shield out from on top of the muffler. That thing rattling away was getting a little obnoxious. :rofl:

Doesn't look like anything is above it, other than the spare wheel area. So screw, its staying off.