Quantcast

ЖЖЖ Saturdeeeey ЖЖЖ

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Heading down to Springs to go drive outdoor karts and meet with the owner of the track down there. If we're lucky, we can get Haley into the cadet kart.

Had a conversation with wifey about Haley's karting last night. She was somewhat surprised by our plans today (not sure why?!). When I told her it's because the track owner wants to see about putting her into a cadet kart, and maybe getting her ready for a natl race in a few weekends, she kind of stalled. She still has this thought/idea that Haley karting is just a fun little hobby. She hasn't accepted that Haley is treating it like a sport and excelling accordingly. Should be fun if we can get Haley into the kart for miniROK's...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well, it’s official. My son graduated CSU last night with a cumulative GPA 3.9 in Business with a minor in supply chain in 4 years. He’s always struggled in school growing up, but finally figured it out. I’m a proud papa!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Was asked to help coach my daughter's soccer game this morning. Managed ok, but it's an under 5 team, so it's mostly like herding cats.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Heading down to Springs to go drive outdoor karts and meet with the owner of the track down there. If we're lucky, we can get Haley into the cadet kart.

Had a conversation with wifey about Haley's karting last night. She was somewhat surprised by our plans today (not sure why?!). When I told her it's because the track owner wants to see about putting her into a cadet kart, and maybe getting her ready for a natl race in a few weekends, she kind of stalled. She still has this thought/idea that Haley karting is just a fun little hobby. She hasn't accepted that Haley is treating it like a sport and excelling accordingly. Should be fun if we can get Haley into the kart for miniROK's...
Well. Apparently we needed to schedule time at the track, so the owner was particularly riled when we got just showed up. We got him to let us do rental karts and Haley got his attention by being all up my ass when we did our session. We talked for a while about what she's doing now at K1. He asked if Haley wanted to see the race kart that she'd be in for lessons/coaching. He took us back to the storage unit and after hemming and hawing for about 10min, we were pulling out all the karts blocking it in. He wanted to put her into the race kart, just to see what she could do.
IMG_20220514_114400_01.jpg

Well, she could do. It got all the racers in the pits to stop doing their stuff and come up to the wall and watch her drive. After her session, he said "if she can take coaching, I'll sponsor her and sell you a turnkey cadet kart for my cost". [Lunch] Did a quick coaching session around turn-in and braking points for a race kart vs. rental.
IMG_20220514_123746_01.jpg

Did another session, despite being exhausted. Made a few laps before she got sloppy and he pulled her in.

She now has an offer for a sponsorship and kart at super discount px sitting.

Positives: save over $3k for a kart. Discounts on tires, no race fees at his track (8/yr), discounted track time rates, free kart storage.

Issues: the track is 1.25hrs away, so the time commitment for seat time, is huge. The category is small. MiniRok (motor) is not huge in CO, so there is a limited competition group. MiniMax is the primary cadet motor class.

TL;DR: Haley dropped the mic, kicked ass her first time in a race kart and got a sponsorship offer from track owner today.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Well. Apparently we needed to schedule time at the track, so the owner was particularly riled when we got just showed up. We got him to let us do rental karts and Haley got his attention by being all up my ass when we did our session. We talked for a while about what she's doing now at K1. He asked if Haley wanted to see the race kart that she'd be in for lessons/coaching. He took us back to the storage unit and after hemming and hawing for about 10min, we were pulling out all the karts blocking it in. He wanted to put her into the race kart, just to see what she could do.
View attachment 176418

Well, she could do. It got all the racers in the pits to stop doing their stuff and come up to the wall and watch her drive. After her session, he said "if she can take coaching, I'll sponsor her and sell you a turnkey cadet kart for my cost". [Lunch] Did a quick coaching session around turn-in and braking points for a race kart vs. rental.
View attachment 176417
Did another session, despite being exhausted. Made a few laps before she got sloppy and he pulled her in.

Positives: save over $3k for a kart. Discounts on tires, no race fees at his track (8/yr), discounted track time rates, free kart storage.

Issues: the track is 1.25hrs away, so the time commitment for seat time, is huge. The category is small. MiniRok (motor) is not huge in CO, so there is a limited competition group. MiniMax is the primary cadet motor class.

TL;DR: Haley dropped the mic, kicked ass her first time in a race kart and got a sponsorship offer from track owner today.
Sounds like a trap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
View attachment 176418

View attachment 176417

A - dude looks old and crusty

B - how far did you used to drive for mtb races?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looking like i'm gonna bail on DH tomorrow. primarily because it's been raining almost all afternoon up at the mountain, and will continue until early AM.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like a trap.
This is what I'm trying to decipher. I need to talk to some of the parents up here in Jr league to see which league their kids are in, about local tracks, the dude in general, etc. Kart pricing looks legit though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Had a conversation with wifey about Haley's karting last night. She was somewhat surprised by our plans today (not sure why?!). When I told her it's because the track owner wants to see about putting her into a cadet kart, and maybe getting her ready for a natl race in a few weekends, she kind of stalled. She still has this thought/idea that Haley karting is just a fun little hobby. She hasn't accepted that Haley is treating it like a sport and excelling accordingly.
mrs stoney: *expecting daughters will go into cheerleading*

lil stoney: ///RACECARS

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Put mountain tires on the Bridgestone. Hated it. Came home and took them off. Rode the Cannondale instead. Perfect conditions. If I ride tomorrow that will be 7 rides in 7 days.