Quantcast

֍֍ Day 180 ֍֍

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
WHAT IT GOT CHARLIE! I ran for an hour in the gross humidity before work. Temps will be around 100 this afternoon, so I am happy to get that done early.

We had no internet all day yesterday due to an 18 wheeler taking down some lines, which knocked out internet to the whole town. Xfinity originally said 12:30 PM restoration, then kept pushing it back two hours, and two hours, and two hours, and eventually it came back overnight. I'd have gone into work for the day had I known we'd have no internet all day. Those cocks.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Helped install many hundred square feets of hardwood floor in our rental yesterday. I’m sore as hell. Today I get to install Starlink™ internet from space and get back to my regular job. Probably a bike ride later.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Dropping off a kid at horsie camp (same camp different kid from last week) then working until 5 pm once I finally roll in.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
"They" said to do your airbag recall replacement on our '06 Outback.

It's free, "they" said.

Unfortunately the cracked timing belt and leaky head gaskets* the concurrent inspection uncovered are not free.

*I knew we were ready for timing belt because of mileage (110,000) and suspected head gaskets too. All we've done in our 13 years of ownership prior is change oil, brakes and wheel bearings so I guess we were due...

Ugh, that's a goddamn N+1 right there, not that I ride bikes anymore.

#SubaruDealer
#AtLeastWeHave4Carsfor2Drivers
#DeferTheDeferredMaintenace
#ComparisonShopWithIndependentRepairCenter
#FML

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"They" said to do your airbag recall replacement on our '06 Outback.

It's free, "they" said.

Unfortunately the cracked timing belt and leaky head gaskets* the concurrent inspection uncovered are not free.

*I knew we were ready for timing belt because of mileage (110,000) and suspected head gaskets too. All we've done in our 13 years of ownership prior is change oil, brakes and wheel bearings so I guess we were due...

Ugh, that's a goddamn N+1 right there, not that I ride bikes anymore.

#SubaruDealer
#AtLeastWeHave4Carsfor2Drivers
#DeferTheDeferredMaintenace
#ComparisonShopWithIndependentRepairCenter
#FML
Head gaskets on Subarus are like ink cartridges for printers.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Here.

Truth @Westy , we have 4 in the shop here all for head gaskets... 1 isn't going great as previous repair shop tore the threads out of the block and the one stud was hand tight, hence the leak.....

The rest are all due by mileage...lol
What's the *newest* Subaru you've seen with the head gasket issue? They keep claiming with each new gen that it's no longer an issue... but color me skeptical.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's the *newest* Subaru you've seen with the head gasket issue? They keep claiming with each new gen that it's no longer an issue... but color me skeptical.
I don't think they've been an issue for a long time now.

Then again those issues could be masked for leaking sunroofs, bad oil consumption and other problems. Get a turbo ej2** and you'll never had that problem because proper metal gaskets*. :busted:

**though you'll risk catastrophic engine failure because reasons.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure if it's Tuesday or more Monday, do not like.

Timing belt and head gaskets at 110k? I'm going to stop complaining about my Tacoma, yikes.
My neighbors have a much newer outback '15ish? which had gasket issues last summer, so I'm going to say 15 years (13 with us) was a good run, but that is some planned obsolescence / bullshit for sure...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
My neighbors have a much newer outback '15ish? which had gasket issues last summer, so I'm going to say 15 years (13 with us) was a good run, but that is some planned obsolescence / bullshit for sure...
Our '97 finally called our hand around 140K back in... 2008, maybe? It needed a clutch also, so for $1500 we had clutch, head gaskets, and all seals done... and that car still sits in the driveway and starts right up on the rare occasion we need to use it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
haha what it do phoney baloney

working, not too hard, from home. Came back from vacay with a cold- actually got it on day 4 of vacay. fully vaccinated so likely not the 'rona, but took a test anyways. turns out my boss and her kid also got sick last week, meaning some shitlord at work gave it to me before I brought it with me across the country. kids are thus far OK, so I'm unconcerned other than not being able to get on the bike, which makes it like a week and a half at this point :(

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
haha what it do phoney baloney

working, not too hard, from home. Came back from vacay with a cold- actually got it on day 4 of vacay. fully vaccinated so likely not the 'rona, but took a test anyways. turns out my boss and her kid also got sick last week, meaning some shitlord at work gave it to me before I brought it with me across the country. kids are thus far OK, so I'm unconcerned other than not being able to get on the bike, which makes it like a week and a half at this point :(
My bosses and their kids are sick with a strep throat so I am guessing that is a common plague these days.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Turns out what I thought was chigger bites was actually folliculitis. Saw a doc yesterday who gave me some souped up anti-inflammatories and a topical antibiotic. After three applications, the rash seems to be stabilizing. It's still itchy as fuck though, and I haven't slept through the night in a week.

What sucks even more is that I had taken this week off to recover from three months of homeschooling now that kids are in day camps. I had planned to ride everyday. But the thought of breaking a sweat makes me break into a sweat!

On the bright side, I managed to get an appointment for shot #2 tomorrow. And a haircut appointment.. though it'll be at 7am...

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
We've had 3 in 3 weeks all 2009, 2.5I Non-turbo. 1 Sedan 2 wagons. All 200K plus miles. The turbo cars rarely seem to fail at the head gasket, but oi lleaks galore. The valve cover, oil pressure switch, oil pan, oil cooler gasket and Turbo drain hose...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
We've had 3 in 3 weeks all 2009, 2.5I Non-turbo. 1 Sedan 2 wagons. All 200K plus miles. The turbo cars rarely seem to fail at the head gasket, but oi lleaks galore. The valve cover, oil pressure switch, oil pan, oil cooler gasket and Turbo drain hose...
Yep - 2.5l is a given. :D

Apparently even the internet can't agree when this issue was resolved. Which prompted my question...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My bosses and their kids are sick with a strep throat so I am guessing that is a common plague these days.
those guys have kids too? i thought they were just workaholics. I don't think this is strep, just congestion, initial sore throat (passed) and cough (also passed). If I could kick the congestion, I might be OK.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Sounds like it was finally fixed with the 2.0L.

I'd never heard of a 2.0l having the issue... but I'm not all that surprised. :D

The only motor they produced that was apparently bulletproof was the old 2.2l.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Noontime Monkeys.

Not nearly as hot as yesterday, thank the geebus. I am in the office and am reminded why I hate this place.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Nice, FT. What's the latency?

/me is on the waiting list for that in Tabernash, as CenturyLink DSL at 50 Mbps grows tiresome

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Nice, FT. What's the latency?

/me is on the waiting list for that in Tabernash, as CenturyLink DSL at 50 Mbps grows tiresome
I think it generally hovers around 40ms, but it has hit 340ms today at some point. I'm not quite back to work just yet, so I have no idea how that will affect being connected to servers and such while doing my job.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
those guys have kids too? i thought they were just workaholics. I don't think this is strep, just congestion, initial sore throat (passed) and cough (also passed). If I could kick the congestion, I might be OK.
They have staff - au-pair, maids, landscapers, ...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Our '97 finally called our hand around 140K back in... 2008, maybe? It needed a clutch also, so for $1500 we had clutch, head gaskets, and all seals done... and that car still sits in the driveway and starts right up on the rare occasion we need to use it.
1500 for head gasket, clutch and seals....wutttttt. jelly

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
1500 for head gasket, clutch and seals....wutttttt. jelly
Well, they had to pull the motor to do the head gasket, and the clutch at that point was simply the parts cost, since that shit is all right there when the motor is pulled. And while the motor is out and easily accessible, you may as well have all the cam seals and other Subaru-oil-leaky parts replaced. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, they had to pull the motor to do the head gasket, and the clutch at that point was simply the parts cost, since that shit is all right there when the motor is pulled. And while the motor is out and easily accessible, you may as well have all the cam seals and other Subaru-oil-leaky parts replaced. :D
Might as well get a refurbed short block at that point. :busted:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Took Haley and two friends to a super-park about 25min south for most of the day. They covered picnic table area has plugs readily available. I think someone thought this through... Managed to get work done for most of today.