Quantcast

*ੈ✩‧₊˚༘˚⋆。⋆.✧˚ Exploding Christmas GMT ˚✧.⋆。⋆ ༘ ₊‧✩*ੈ

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Parents are here. Dad already decided to have a conversation about his retirement/investment funds, but gave zero fucks when I started discussing tax strategies and estate planning with him. His goal is to spend everything (excellent; go for it), but doesn't seem to get it when I tried to explain that some of the things that have a benefit which are best known for next generation, also have things that will save him substantial tax money 3-5 years out. For a guy who "hates big govt and hates paying taxes", he sure is missing the train on this one.

Otherwise, planning on keeping all ten fingers today.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:wave:

Happy freedoms day!

I am here at work drinking some coffee.

One of our friends mother died a day or two ago, so tonight I'm going to help move all the stuff out of her residence. I hope it's not a lot, because its balls hot again. She was 102 and apparently was fine a few days ago and then WAM. I guess when it's time to go, it's time to go. Our buddy doesn't seem too shocked by this, which is good. Though, he lives in Calgary and isn't coming back for a while - he'll owe us some shuttles on Moose Mountain for this. :brows:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am supposed to be finished at work but I am still there and getting dumber by the day.
Asked my offsider if they put the circlip in the cylinder they re-assembled, I knocked the wiper seal in on the one I did and thought "That went in there real deep like, ohhhhhhhh, the circlip, fuck!"
There was no room at all to allow seal extraction, so the cyl had to be capped and filled with hyd fluid then the shaft installed and whacked with a hammer to pop the seal out, oops!

My sleep doesn't seem too bad but I am not too far off incoherent zombie mode in the day time.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:wave:

Happy freedoms day!
:stupid:
I guess when it's time to go, it's time to go.
I think this is the best way to go, quite frankly. My dad passed suddenly of a heart attack. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye or anything, hadn't spoken to him in a few weeks, he hadn't even met my now wife, or gotten to know my kids. But I've seen the toll a long and slow decline takes on people and their family - my wife's dad, my buddies' parents - and it is atrocious. do not want.

Jun 24, 2024
JTown
But I've seen the toll a long and slow decline takes on people and their family - my wife's dad, my buddies' parents - and it is atrocious. do not want.
[/QUOTE]

I can attest to that, my Dad has Alzheimer and it’s hard to see him become less and less of what he was, see the fear and confusion in his eyes because he doesn’t know where he is, some times he gets frustrated because he knows there's something wrong but doesn't know what it is. This is definitely not the way to go.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
will be moving to a new building and workspace at work over the summer... some colleagues toured a floor that is set up the same way and sent a picture:
1720107938870.png

I responded that it reminded me of this:

some fucking millenial said something along the lines of "it's a much nicer and more modern space"... the fuck to I care about how it fucking looks. Does how it looks affect how I work?! no. Do ergonomics, quiet, and an environment free of distractions help me work?! yes.

fuck off with your fucking "modern" workspaces.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
will be moving to a new building and workspace at work over the summer... some colleagues toured a floor that is set up the same way and sent a picture:
View attachment 214407

some fucking millenial said something along the lines of "it's a much nicer and more modern space"... the fuck to I care about how it fucking looks. Does how it looks affect how I work?! no. Do ergonomics, quiet, and an environment free of distractions help me work?! yes.

IMG_0127.gif

IMG_0124.gif

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's not a workspace, that's a closet.
I'd take that over my current "open office" environment where I have to wear sound cancelling ear buds underneath sound cancelling headphones to hear myself think over the clatter of coworkers on loud conference calls with each other. Not to mention being able to block lonely people who want to have inane conversations and the smell of rank overheated lunches.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 214407

Seems like a great place to drop office farts and then casually watch from the water cooler.

I don't see any other purpose for that closet.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
View attachment 214407

Pros:
- peace
- quiet

Cons:
- everything else

If my employer tried to employ those pods, I'd make sure to leave it with 2 Stools instead of one.

Funny how I was just reading an article this morning about employees having only 47 seconds of attention span. It's no wonder with all the things employers have done in the name of cost cutting and "spontaneous collaboration".

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'd take that over my current "open office" environment where I have to wear sound cancelling ear buds underneath sound cancelling headphones to hear myself think over the clatter of coworkers on loud conference calls with each other. Not to mention being able to block lonely people who want to have inane conversations and the smell of rank overheated lunches.
Why do you hate impromptu ideation session?

JK. The only time I get to think in the office is from the porcelain cubicle. Until of course the guy who hocks at least a dozen loogies every bathroom trip comes in and starts firing up.

Jun 24, 2024
JTown
Management have been toying with the idea to change from cubes to open office, I would definitely hate that.