Quantcast

༻☁ミ彡Windy Thursday Morning ⒼⓂⓉ ミ彡☁༺

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Good day to you, sirs.

Nothing really going on here. Was perusing helmets last night, as mine is 5 years old and in need of replacement. Recommendations?
LBS, one that fits. I cannot believe the disparity in helmet fits, even within brands. My oval dome fits better in a bell or giro than it does in a POC or smith. Unfortunately, my totally average 59cm dome is in between sizes for most brands. A med spec fit perfectly, but then they revised their sizing and their new stuff is too tight in M or way too big in L. I cannot do anything that is separated by a S/M or L/XL size spread.

In terms of what brands to look for- I have heard from @StiHacka that the smith koroid helmets are very hot, and similar with the very expensive wavecel from bonty. Personally I'm not sold on MIPS but I wouldn't actively avoid those helmets. I typically prefer just regular old foam helmets from Bell or Giro for cost, fit, and ventilation balance. Right now I have a bell DH, bell road, and TLD A1 MTB and would recommend any of them.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
We have something over 40 doors and drawer faces in our kitchen. I ran the cost of building out simple poplar and 1/4" birch ply shaker doors, mounted to the existing cabinetry, then having them all professionally painted and it's about half the cost of paying someone to do it. It will take me a lot of time, but for almost $10k, I can spend it. If you want to go that route, assuming I'm not actively using my table an compound saw for other projects, you're welcome to borrow them. As for things like tile, flooring, etc, you're free to my tile saw, nail gun and air compressor, and applicable hand tools. Just let me know.
FKNA dude, thanks!

Loads of stuff we won't touch (flooring being one of them, we have nice hardwood floors that will stay) but I'll figure out what we're gonna do and what we'll need to do it and let ya know. I like to tinker, and considering between you, my buddy Hirsch, and the guys on the Baja team (several of which have also done plenty of home remodel shit) I've got plenty of resources to get it done My Damn Self™.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I, too, just got a TLD A1 and very much approve. My dome was just about 60cm and the m/l fits great, as did all my previous D3 carbon helmets.

I'll be looking for a full face for the first time in many years in the spring. This will be purely for lift-accessed stuff. Looking like a D3 fiberlite is the better choice vs. the new stage they came out with....anyone have experience with both? Seems like the Stage is less protection/more coolerer and aimed at enderpbro more than DH?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I, too, just got a TLD A1 and very much approve. My dome was just about 60cm and the m/l fits great, as did all my previous D3 carbon helmets.

I'll be looking for a full face for the first time in many years in the spring. This will be purely for lift-accessed stuff. Looking like a D3 fiberlite is the better choice vs. the new stage they came out with....anyone have experience with both? Seems like the Stage is less protection/more coolerer and aimed at enderpbro more than DH?
I'd be real tempted by the fox proframe style helmet if I were to buy a new one. I bought a bell transfer to replace my giro remedy and I couldn't believe the regression- fewer vents, no clicky chinstrap, tighter fit. Felt very protective, but it's not what I want in a DH helmet. The proframe has all that awesome ventilation in the chinbar, and let's be real, you don't need roost protection in a DH helmet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Full reno unlikely, though we will likely give it a facelift in the next year or two. Cabinets and general layout would remain, paint and tilework, new countertops, new appliances, new hardware for cabinet doors, that sort of thing. The new drawer slides would remain in play.
My wife has been working on painting our cabinets for... about 3 years now. :D

We are going to need to replace the counter top at some point as well - it's the original off-white formica from 1987. :panic: I suspect when we do the counter top we'll replace the sink as well.

I really don't like where this is going... :mad:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'd be real tempted by the fox proframe style helmet if I were to buy a new one. I bought a bell transfer to replace my giro remedy and I couldn't believe the regression- fewer vents, no clicky chinstrap, tighter fit. Felt very protective, but it's not what I want in a DH helmet. The proframe has all that awesome ventilation in the chinbar, and let's be real, you don't need roost protection in a DH helmet.
Looks a lot like the Stage, which also seems to put venting over protection on the face, which for DH is the opposite of what I'd want, IMO.

Considering you went from a Remedy to a Bell....I can see why you like it.:rofl:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

We are going to need to replace the counter top at some point as well - it's the original off-white formica from 1987. :panic: I suspect when we do the counter top we'll replace the sink as well.

My wife's cousin and her husband (who's a homebuilder) did an insane remodel of their entire house....this is their sink, if it's any indication of the rest of the house.

:fancy::fancy::fancy:
sink.png

Edit- fixed link

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The proframe has all that awesome ventilation in the chinbar, and let's be real, you don't need roost protection in a DH helmet.
The Proframe is not a DH helmet by any means. Even on the local spots I rather use my D2 or D3 if I do not have to pedal much. Don't get me wrong, it is a great helmet, but for real DH riding it is too ENDURO!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@Adventurous - i've been happy with both tld a1 and a2. like sammich, have a 59cm dome and at first ordered the l/xl, which was way too big. next step down is m/l which works.
I bought the A1 in L/XL when it originally came out, that thing was huge. Sold it after a couple of rides.
i've heard this as well, but that hasn't been my experience.
I've been on a Smith Forefront drinking straw helmet for years and never thought of it as a hot helmet. I'll likely replace it with another when needed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

You know what would help use up all of your money instead of spending it on the kitchen don't you?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Windy and cold but no snow in the forecast. I'm more than dissapoint in how pathetic this ski season is, half way through Jan and I've only bothered to go twice. Slept until almost 9 this morning. Espresso and left over pizza for breakfast. House hold shit today.

Gut the kitchen.
That's what happened when we needed a new dishwasher. :twitch:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

Buy a house, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

They lied.

I bought the A1 in L/XL when it originally came out, that thing was huge. Sold it after a couple of rides.

I've been on a Smith Forefront drinking straw helmet for years and never thought of it as a hot helmet. I'll likely replace it with another when needed.
Same.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
DON'T TYPE THAT TOO LOUD. my wife will hear and is already talking about a countertop replace and cabinet repaint...
Spring lockdown lead to me being home all day everyday. That got me looking at the ceiling and walls...taped them and painted them. Ripped out the carpet in the living room and put down wood. New floor for the kitchen and was planning on refinishing the cabinets. Ended up getting new cabinets and countertops instead. Sq-Earl was afraid to leave the house some days....he would come home and something else would be taped or ripped up lol.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
FKNA dude, thanks!

Loads of stuff we won't touch (flooring being one of them, we have nice hardwood floors that will stay) but I'll figure out what we're gonna do and what we'll need to do it and let ya know. I like to tinker, and considering between you, my buddy Hirsch, and the guys on the Baja team (several of which have also done plenty of home remodel shit) I've got plenty of resources to get it done My Damn Self™.
Just know you might have to fight @Nick for tools.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fucking women with pancake titties hanging down to their stomach...no bra....thinking a good place for their phone is down there....

motherfuck....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spoke with my father last night. His cancer treatments seem to be effective which is good news. The VA also seems to think his cancer was caused by Agent Orange exposure 50 years ago so he has been given full disability on top of his military retirement.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Spoke with my father last night. His cancer treatments seem to be effective which is good news. The VA also seems to think his cancer was caused by Agent Orange exposure 50 years ago so he has been given full disability on top of his military retirement.
happy to hear that....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My father has a similar story, when he was diagnosed with ALS, the VA suggested that it ‘might’ (nudge nudge, wink wink) be due to some chemical exposure in the Korean War. Bam, full disability/benefits. Including retrofitting the house, a handicapped van, etc...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Happy to share my Helmut experience as I've tried them all, and cracked a few.

Nothing really going on here. Was perusing helmets last night, as mine is 5 years old and in need of replacement. Recommendations?
Specialized Ambush with MiPS. Hands down the best of them all. Lightweight, great protection, the best ventilated helmet of all I've ever tried and I have many. Good sweat management, good beak that actually works and can be adjusted for speed or comfort. No experience with mounting shit on top, I have another helmet for night riding.

I, too, just got a TLD A1
TLD A1 == hot as fuck in Summer. Other than that, OK. Mine peeled after a light dose of anti-mosquito spray, YMMW.

i've heard this as well, but that hasn't been my experience.
Do you have any hair left on your noggin? I am pretty sure my out of control wire hair jams all the straw ends shut and completely kills any ventilation. Also, the beak sucks, you can't scratch your head when riding, it dumps sweat all over your face unexpectedly - it is mostly an expensive bullshit piece of equipment in high humidity regions.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My wife's cousin and her husband (who's a homebuilder) did an insane remodel of their entire house....this is their sink, if it's any indication of the rest of the house.
Damn. That is pretentious as FUCK. Carrara marble?!? :panic:

Looks like they have pretty terrible taste. 20 years from now people will look at that house and be wondering what in the HOLY HELL they were thinking. :D

<snip> I'm more than dissapoint in how pathetic this ski season is, half way through Jan and I've only bothered to go twice.
I suspect that this ski season is going to officially go down the shitter fairly soon. Have you seen the positivity numbers out of Pitkin County? :panic:

As to the OP, the wind stopped the trains in Wyoming...
Goddam. That's some NEXT level shit right there. :fie:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My father has a similar story, when he was diagnosed with ALS, the VA suggested that it ‘might’ (nudge nudge, wink wink) be due to some chemical exposure in the Korean War. Bam, full disability/benefits. Including retrofitting the house, a handicapped van, etc...

He has a very aggressive form of prostate cancer which first of all is pretty rare and he has none of the known genetic bio-markers that would make him prone to said form of cancer. A study a few years ago showed a strong correlation between A.O. exposure and aggressive forms of prostate cancer.

Most of the genetic testing that realized this was done to see if could have inherited a high risk of prostate cancer, I guess it is good that the answer is no.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Specialized Ambush with MiPS. Hands down the best of them all. Lightweight, great protection, the best ventilated helmet of all I've ever tried and I have many. Good sweat management, good beak that actually works and can be adjusted for speed or comfort. No experience with mounting shit on top, I have another helmet for night riding.

TLD A1 == hot as fuck in Summer. Other than that, OK. Mine peeled after a light dose of anti-mosquito spray, YMMW.

Do you have any hair left on your noggin? I am pretty sure my out of control wire hair jams all the straw ends shut and completely kills any ventilation. Also, the beak sucks, you can't scratch your head when riding, it dumps sweat all over your face unexpectedly - it is mostly an expensive bullshit piece of equipment for high humidity regions.
Guess I haven't bought a helmet in a while. Quite a few $150 - $200 pieces of molded foam out there now...

Damn. That is pretentious as FUCK. Carrara marble?!? :panic:

Looks like they have pretty terrible taste. 20 years from now people will look at that house and be wondering what in the HOLY HELL they were thinking. :D
Hammered copper for me, if I was working with that kind of budget.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Do you have any hair left on your noggin? I am pretty sure my out of control wire hair jams all the straw ends shut and completely kills any ventilation. Also, the beak sucks, you can't scratch your head when riding, it dumps sweat all over your face unexpectedly - it is mostly an expensive bullshit piece of equipment in high humidity regions.
Yea but I keep it reasonably short in the summer. To be fair, I run hot, so even the best ventilated helmets don't do shit for me.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
TLD A1 == hot as fuck in Summer. Other than that, OK. Mine peeled after a light dose of anti-mosquito spray, YMMW
Complaints about temperature and bugs?

Pansy..

Yea but I keep it reasonably short in the summer. To be fair, I run hot, so even the best ventilated helmets don't do shit for me.
This...this is the correct answer.