Quantcast

(ᗒᗣᗕ)՞Caturday GMT (ᗒᗣᗕ)՞

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Was out in the mud and rain to plant what I bought this week plus move some stuff too. Might hit the gym later. Too much rain this winter

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
-21C (-6F for Muricans) is what I woke up to. Today's plans are undetermined at this point.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

the biz singing benny and the jets...

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Coffee and bills.

Drama fest resolved - jealousy indeed. Older sister upset that she didn't get invited to go karting. Not that she wanted to, or is even free on Thursday's, but just that she wasn't asked to join. Both her and Haley have been hyper emotional about friends moving away, and not dealing with it in a positive manner. Had dinner over there last night and the girls played together all evening, so hopefully resolved.

Got to explain snow tires vs. all-seasons's to their dad and the cost effectiveness of getting a spare set of wheels to mount them to. Also explained why he should use toll lanes more often, looking at monetizing time vs. the same dollars sitting in a savings acct. Apparently broke his brain to not think about dollars as just that, but to also value your time. Spend $7 to save 30min when you make $50/hr means you've saved $18 of your time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's colder than a penguin's dick out there. I need to go do the grocery shopping before too many covids show up.
know nothing about a penguins pecker.....but i has security blanket to ward off the cootiez

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
breakfast shindig at parents....i have been charged with cooking the salted meats....brb...

nephews....brother....enroute....

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
:wave:

Up early to get caught up on bills.
Working on a cost analysis of putting 5-10 acres of grapes on the farm.
That’s so very cool!

Where are you located? What varietals? What trellising system? Soil?

So, many questions!

My wife and I will probably hand plant and acre or two from cuttings this winter.Trellis, fencing and clearing are our main expenses.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Heading karting with preteen girls. Karting will be made into a coed sport in HR.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is a girl's birthday party here. 8 other girls in this race. That is fucking awesome!

And we're going to try and test Haley in adult cars today, assuming it's not crowded. The power difference will be interesting to see how she handles it.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That’s so very cool!

Where are you located? What varietals? What trellising system? Soil?

So, many questions!

My wife and I will probably hand plant and acre or two from cuttings this winter.Trellis, fencing and clearing are our main expenses.
Grape trellis is relatively cheap and simple compared to orchard trellis. I am assuming you will plant varieties for wine?

I am planning a small vineyard of my own... but am looking to find a menagerie of seedless table grapes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made the mistake of opening up Nextdoor and I am reminded of how particularly dumb people are around here.

-complaints of not enough shopping carts at the grocery store
- People terrified that there are large predators in the neighborhood because they don't know what rabbit tracks in the snow look like
- threatening to break car windows because someone left a dog in a car when it was 45 degrees and cloudy
- complaints about people putting street litter in their precious garbage cans

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Grape trellis is relatively cheap and simple compared to orchard trellis. I am assuming you will plant varieties for wine?

I am planning a small vineyard of my own... but am looking to find a menagerie of seedless table grapes.
For grapes it depends on how you trellis. “Single high wire” is cheap. “Vsp” can get expensive depending on how many catch wires you use. Also wood versus galvanized will make a big price difference. Also depends on the hardware you use. If you use all the fancy gadgets, hooks and doodads, that adds up.

We plan to “head train” the vines, so hopefully, only a galvanized post at every vine. Some varieties that don’t like to droop -Auxerrois for example- will probably need a support ring too.

Yes, wine varietals for us. I know some folks here in the valley have a row or two of table grapes, but they mostly wind up being bird feed, bc by time harvest is over no one wants to eat any damned grapes…

Cofermented apples, pears and grapes is apparently the new cool thing…

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Made the mistake of opening up Nextdoor and I am reminded of how particularly dumb people are around here.

-complaints of not enough shopping carts at the grocery store
- People terrified that there are large predators in the neighborhood because they don't know what rabbit tracks in the snow look like
- threatening to break car windows because someone left a dog in a car when it was 45 degrees and cloudy
- complaints about people putting street litter in their precious garbage cans
What is "Nextdoor" ?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
For grapes it depends on how you trellis. “Single high wire” is cheap. “Vsp” can get expensive depending on how many catch wires you use. Also wood versus galvanized will make a big price difference. Also depends on the hardware you use. If you use all the fancy gadgets, hooks and doodads, that adds up.

We plan to “head train” the vines, so hopefully, only a galvanized post at every vine. Some varieties that don’t like to droop -Auxerrois for example- will probably need a support ring too.

Yes, wine varietals for us. I know some folks here in the valley have a row or two of table grapes, but they mostly wind up being bird feed, bc by time harvest is over no one wants to eat any damned grapes…

Cofermented apples, pears and grapes is apparently the new cool thing…
Once the vine reaches the wire you shouldn't need any support for the plant. The galvanized posts should really only be neccessary for holding up the wire and supporting the weight of the berries. Once the plant is supported on the wire we remove the bamboo and use it somewhere else.

We tie young plants to bamboo stakes and if the stake cant be clipped to the bottom wire we will tie cotton string from the top of the bamboo to the bottom wire. We use tape guns (like the tapener) to clip the shoots to whatever we are using to stabilize them.

Heres a pic of the last trellis system I put together for my dads apple orchard. This is a 7 wire V-trellis on a 12x2 spacing.

119394.jpeg