Quantcast

(ᗒᗣᗕ)՞Caturday GMT (ᗒᗣᗕ)՞

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Go karting was done. Haley raced and adult kart. She uh... Beat. Yeah, we'll use that word. Beat the entire field, with exception of a teen league kid who was beating me, during her first race while she was getting used to the kart. Second race was even moreso. Faster overall group and she was still top-3.

I can't wait to put her back into the Jr karts, with less power. It's like going back to Miata's. Handling mistakes become evident after you take power out of the equation.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@chuffer are you going to run a low wire that the drip tubing hangs from? We like to keep the drip tubing off the ground so we can work the ground around the plants without damaging any tubing.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Go karting was done. Haley raced and adult kart. She uh... Beat. Yeah, we'll use that word. Beat the entire field, with exception of a teen league kid who was beating me, during her first race while she was getting used to the kart. Second race was even moreso. Faster overall group and she was still top-3.

I can't wait to put her back into the Jr karts, with less power. It's like going back to Miata's. Handling mistakes become evident after you take power out of the equation.
So what is the weight difference between you and Haley?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
That’s so very cool!

Where are you located? What varietals? What trellising system? Soil?

So, many questions!

My wife and I will probably hand plant and acre or two from cuttings this winter.Trellis, fencing and clearing are our main expenses.
I kind of stumbled into the idea. Have been trying to expand our operation but land prices are crazy. So a higher value crop came to mind.

The one spot I am thinking is a sandy loam that is very well drained.
We are in north east Indiana. There are a few other very small vineyards around but only one other production vineyard in the area.
There’s about a dozen different varieties that are well adapted to Indiana’s climate. Still a long ways from planting any. Still working out viable markets for the harvested grapes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I sort of feel like I am missing something here, but not really.
Nah, you have Ridemonkey, so basically the same. However, it spans farther than the local neighborhood gossip (minus all the CO monkeys) and all have a remote interest in 2-wheeled offroad sports.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all

skied with Aya-chan, who is just the cutest tiny skier. She did some turns today and had a good attitude.

Headed off soon to try to find a parking spot somewhere to pick up elder girls and ski a few laps with them.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I joined next door as an alias for the lulz.
Lots of people here think carrying a firearm solves everything.
Homeless camp updates become political debates.
Lots of dog poop updates.
The only think anyone agrees on is that a lost cat is a code-red reason to form Voltron.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Extra large ski day. Dumped snow all day, steeps are open, pb&j consumed, legs shot. Now im gonna make an old fashioned and some steak tacos.

BOOM!

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Too much snow to ride. Roads to the mountains closed because of too much snow. Not enough snow to ski the places that are accessable.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Evening monkeys. De-Christmased the house. Made some fresh venison backstraps for dinner...it's just Sq-Earl & I as the girls are both at friends tonight. About to have a delicious manhattan and hit the hot tub before watching some Netflix. It's crazy cold today and supposed to be icy tomorrow so I won't be travelling far.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
9C1D9B61-8DFC-484E-839A-646F4F65E9DF.jpeg
548CDE9B-94CC-4BD6-82CF-746D30E6A771.jpeg

Kid 3 in first pic can now turn. She still can’t stop.

That’s kids 2 and 1 in the second pic. Kid 1 is ripping it up and getting quite quick. Kid 2 still reverts to wedge christie when it gets steep but will likely be carving it up on everything by the end of the season.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So what is the weight difference between you and Haley?
170#. The weight disparity is obviously huge. She was having trouble with speed in corners and it was chattering pretty bad - she couldn't keep the back end planted. 3-4 more races in adult and I think she's be down into 23's. She'll have a chance to talk to the super fast girl who she is looking up to on Tuesday. I'll push her to ask about how she drives about karts, because she can't weight more than 90#.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
oleder brother finally got the cream puff inspected

She's a beaut, Clark!

So many 650s became abortive custom hack attempts. I mean, some great customs too, bit it's super nice to see an original in such good shape...yet also a rider.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Once the vine reaches the wire you shouldn't need any support for the plant. The galvanized posts should really only be neccessary for holding up the wire and supporting the weight of the berries. Once the plant is supported on the wire we remove the bamboo and use it somewhere else.

We tie young plants to bamboo stakes and if the stake cant be clipped to the bottom wire we will tie cotton string from the top of the bamboo to the bottom wire. We use tape guns (like the tapener) to clip the shoots to whatever we are using to stabilize them.

Heres a pic of the last trellis system I put together for my dads apple orchard. This is a 7 wire V-trellis on a 12x2 spacing.

View attachment 170067
Yeah, that is how most vineyards here are planted. In this new planting we will be doing things a bit differently. Not planting in rows and no wires. Going with a hexagonal pattern and a so-called goblet pruning technique. A couple of friends here have gone this route and we like the results. It is certainly not how you farm for highest yield and profit margin!

As for drip lines, no one we work with uses them. You don’t really need them in many places here in the valley. Manually irrigate the young vines with a tank for two years and then dry farming after that. Pretty common practice here.

Spent the day pruning one of our leased sites. I now see grape vines when I close my eyes. Always happens during pruning. Trippy.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I kind of stumbled into the idea. Have been trying to expand our operation but land prices are crazy. So a higher value crop came to mind.

The one spot I am thinking is a sandy loam that is very well drained.
We are in north east Indiana. There are a few other very small vineyards around but only one other production vineyard in the area.
There’s about a dozen different varieties that are well adapted to Indiana’s climate. Still a long ways from planting any. Still working out viable markets for the harvested grapes.
That was going to be my next question. Gotta have a place to sell them!

The alternative is to make your own vino. It can be done without too much expensive equipment. Most of the expensive equipment is about saving time, automating or increasing capacity. A press is the only really big money item that you absolutely have to have.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah, that is how most vineyards here are planted. In this new planting we will be doing things a bit differently. Not planting in rows and no wires. Going with a hexagonal pattern and a so-called goblet pruning technique. A couple of friends here have gone this route and we like the results. It is certainly not how you farm for highest yield and profit margin!

As for drip lines, no one we work with uses them. You don’t really need them in many places here in the valley. Manually irrigate the young vines with a tank for two years and then dry farming after that. Pretty common practice here.

Spent the day pruning one of our leased sites. I now see grape vines when I close my eyes. Always happens during pruning. Trippy.
Sounds like fun! If your not spending money on trellis wire and anchors/posts then splurging on metal stakes for the plants makes sense.

Hand watering to establish roots and then letting it ride wouldn't work here very well but it's all commercial wineries and Concord contracts with Welch's/Smuckers around here.

I've got a process for making raisins that's delicious and I can scale it up with a little investment. I need more berries to scale up the process though.