Quantcast

‘‘π¬∆‹««© -- Monday GTM -- ∫««¥ƒ®®†¥

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Lamson knives cyber monday sale has me tempted to buy yet more kitchen knives. Why am I like this?

Like my wife in her job, well almost. I can only dream of her PTO allocation though.
Place I used to work instituted a "Carmen Rule" because Carmen had been there for 27 years and almost never used PTO. They used to give you an extra week of PTO for every year you'd been there, and she had like 150 weeks banked. She's the reason they started maxing out at 6 weeks banked and then just paying you out. Unfortunately Covid killed the company, not sure if she ever got her check for owed PTO.

Lesson learned, use your damn PTO, never know when a global pandemic will hit.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Spent about 1.5 hours cutting lead yesterday. My 50# block now has one 4.75#, one 4#, and one 8# block carved off, none of which are square. If you thought cutting wood blocks by hand was difficult, lead is next level. JBP's lead makes up the majority of what Haley needed, but she still needed another 15# mounted and 10# in smaller increments available.
Forgot I had these in the garage. Diving weights with a hole drilled in them using Tillet seat bolts (if mounting to the seat). Way less work than cutting up lead and not very expensive.

1.jpg

2.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I probably have 20 really nice, professionally sharpened knives. (Wüsthof, etc, blah blah).
I basically never uses them anymore. I buy these every two years or so, and use them into the ground (and then they go in the camper).
They are just SO much sharper. And stay sharp. And cheap as dirt.

130030FD-FA0F-42BF-85E2-B56417DECA79.png

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Forgot I had these in the garage. Diving weights with a hole drilled in them using Tillet seat bolts (if mounting to the seat). Way less work than cutting up lead and not very expensive.

View attachment 185501

View attachment 185502
Lead is crazy expensive, hence the big block and spending time. It was only $3.25/lb. It's usually $5-7/lb before shipping. I'd still gladly take them off your hands though. Pirateship is by far the cheapest way, just let me know.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Because you're a knife-whore? Perhaps you should commiserate with @StiHacka and @Adventurous. I only really have 3 decent kitchen knives (large chef's, bread, and small chef's/serrated).
I basically only use a 9" chefs knife, a 6" kiritsuki (roughly equivalent to a chef's), and a 3" paring with any regularity. Got a serrated bread knife for those occasions, but thats about it. As much of a knife whore as I am, I still try to limit my overlapping and unnecessary purchases.

I'd probably get along just fine with the 9" chef's and paring. Some day.

20200818_113706-01.jpeg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Because you're a knife-whore? Perhaps you should commiserate with @StiHacka and @Adventurous. I only really have 3 decent kitchen knives (large chef's, bread, and small chef's/serrated).
My a knife whore? Never

I usually just use my 8" Benchmade Chef's knife and my Lamson Chinese clever, but have a cheapi Nakiri I dig but would like to replace with some nicer steel and kinda want to try Lamson's smaller Chinese cleaver. My dad bought me a bunch of Kramer Damascus knives which I can't get rid of, but just don't like using, so my knife pile is huge, but the only ones that ever get used are never in said pile.

I think @maxyedor is close-ish?
Ventura County, unfortunately close to LA. LA smells like piss and costs too much.

@stoney was actually considering getting rid of my free-diving shit as I haven't been in years. Not sure how much weight I've got on my weight belt, but if you want some diving weights I'll send them to you instead of Goodwill. I also have a couple spears, not sure if those are allowed in karting though

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My a knife whore? Never

I usually just use my 8" Benchmade Chef's knife and my Lamson Chinese clever, but have a cheapi Nakiri I dig but would like to replace with some nicer steel and kinda want to try Lamson's smaller Chinese cleaver. My dad bought me a bunch of Kramer Damascus knives which I can't get rid of, but just don't like using, so my knife pile is huge, but the only ones that ever get used are never in said pile.

Ventura County, unfortunately close to LA. LA smells like piss and costs too much.

@stoney was actually considering getting rid of my free-diving shit as I haven't been in years. Not sure how much weight I've got on my weight belt, but if you want some diving weights I'll send them to you instead of Goodwill. I also have a couple spears, not sure if those are allowed in karting though
Kramer Damascus like his original creations? Or the Zwilling "Kramer" stuff? What's the hangup with them?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Kramer Damascus like his original creations? Or the Zwilling "Kramer" stuff? What's the hangup with them?
Zwilling, too much curve on the cutting edge for my liking and the sizing is just off for me. The 10" Chef's knife is just too big and the 6" too small given how much curve they have. Also have a paring knife but rarely if ever use pairing knives, and a serrated bread knife that I'm afraid to use because there's no way to sharpen the stupid weird shaped serrations.