Quantcast

{•••turdtacular tuesday gmt•••}

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Four day weekend went too fast like always. Got some hiking in, a ride, more hiking and trimming thorns (still!) and more digging on the new trail:

20160902_130216 (4).jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
mmmn good coffee. I have to go in early today because I was a lazy sot on Friday and did not top up the work vehicle fuel tank:banghead:

feeling some tired muscles from the riding and hiking from the weekend which means I must have had some fun:dance:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I woke up on Saturday with mild discomfort in my nose, like the beginning of a cold. It lingered all weekend, but didn't affect me too much. But now I have a full-on sore throat. It is it the cold, or simply a case of the post-labour-day blues?!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Back at it again after a good weekend off. 3 days of camping, hiking, sight seeing, and not thinking of work. Great success!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it seems norman reedus has not been killed off the walking dead as he is still in the atlanta area and attended the uncle acid show i skipped out on on saturday.....will not have enough time to go to the asheville show and make flight in the morning...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

What an incredible weekend. The wife had to get away because she is all sorts of depressed in the house. So we packed up the car and headed to the gorge. All the usual camp sites were booked, but we found a ghetto "primitive" campsite that worked out pretty well. It wasn't full and we didn't haven anyone on our side of the road for 5 spaces each way. But some jackasses set up right across from us that Jen wanted to kill the first night. There were a couple loud groups on the other side near the river (trailers with generators running all night). But managed to find a new winery right down the street from the last new one, so that worked out well.

So now she is convinced if I switched to 4 days (or maybe even 3) and telecommute, then I am only driving 80 minutes to work 4 days a week (twice as far as I drive now from the sticks) and we could swing a place in Hood River. Maybe not IN Hood River, but close. There are rentals there for about $1500 compared to the $2200 we were looking at in North Portland. We've been talking about retiring there, but the idea of living there NOW when I can still possibly ride Post Canyon every off-work day makes an awful drive almost seem worth it.

Maybe it was just dreaming, but it isn't that crazy. If I go back to riding a motorcycle to work, my gas is cut in half and parking at work is free for motos ($13/day for the car). Mass transit is totally out the window and not sure if a 3 day week would fly here for at least a few years. But seriously, it is so damn nice there.

Saturday:

Sunday:

The Washington side clearly has the better views, but the good beer is on the Oregon side of the river.

<edit> Gawd I haven't ridden Post Canyon in forever. It rained all weekend in Portland.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
had a fucking killer weekend in the catskills. old college buddy was getting married, bride's family has a place with a big field on a stream there. food, hiking, beer, kayaking, partying, bong sheds (minus the shed), old friends. weather was perfect. mid 70's and sunny, cool nights. bonfires every night. office seems like Guantanamo by comparison.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
These motels with a single crapper are crime against humanity.
that and the shitters in hotels seem to be about the size of sitting on a pickle bucket....nothing like grunting one out with your junk hanging out the front...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Day off today. Not much in store other than going to find a bolt for the bike and then a ride later.

Ring finger on my right hand seems to be swollen and kind of hard to incorporate into a fist. Not sure if busted or what. :monkey:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
So now she is convinced if I switched to 4 days (or maybe even 3) and telecommute, then I am only driving 80 minutes to work 4 days a week (twice as far as I drive now from the sticks) and we could swing a place in Hood River.
I love the Post Canyon trails but this seems like a terrible idea for your quality of life.

:thumb:

I am at work. Drove in since I forgot to reassemble the 29er last night and because it worked out to have me drop off the kid. I'm off to my office at 12 noon, though, after which it's time to do a paucity of academic work then call some bike shops.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love the Post Canyon trails but this seems like a terrible idea for your quality of life.
It's way more than just the trails. But while we love to visit, would living there ruin it for us? Maybe. We have decided we will sell in Spring and rent, the question is where. I'm not leaving my company, so I will be going downtown for at least the next decade, if not 2 until I can telecommute regularly (not out of the question for what I do). Jen could find work easy in the area and there are even a few very intriguing options there now.

But the commute for me would totally suck. But there are similar options that are at or less than 60 minutes. My commute is about 45 minutes on average now. North Portland would be a 20 minute bike ride, bus/train ride. But Portland is getting crazy expensive. :panic:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
With a bike commute you'd be healthier and thus happier. Buck up and rent a tiny house. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With a bike commute you'd be healthier and thus happier. Buck up and rent a tiny house. :D

This is the other option. Buy a chunk of property in the gorge and either drop a tiny house on it, or build my dream container home with off the grid everything. But that is the retirement plan, or escape plan. But we will likely start with a trailer vs the tiny house. While a tiny house seems cool, a small trailer would make WAY more sense.

or just sleep in a van down by the river
And this is also a consideration. I remember a guy who worked at Intel and lived in Eugene. He drove into town in his VW bus and slept in the parking lot while he worked his 3 day compressed work week (12 hour shifts). Then drove home for 4 days.

There was a project manager at the bank that lived in Seattle. He was only in town every other week, but he was staying at the extended stay hotel on the bank dime.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It sounds as if you're determined to make your life miserable.

Although perhaps you'd be able to pull it off. I know 1-2 hour commutes are the norm for a lot of people in a lot of 'Murca.
I think a lot of it was just motivating for the wife. The house has been a big drain on her and now that the dogs are gone and my daughter isn't visiting from Idaho, moving is obvious. The question is more where and what makes sense.

The commute from the sticks has been sh!t since we moved in together. At least I would be happier when I got home. But there is a lot in Portland that we would enjoy downsized and walkable.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I remember a guy who worked at Intel and lived in Eugene. He drove into town in his VW bus and slept in the parking lot while he worked his 3 day compressed work week (12 hour shifts). Then drove home for 4 days.
My old boss at PDX lived in Yakima, commuted on a 250 Ninja, and slept in a trailer in the parking lot 3 nights a week. He pulled it off for quite a number of years until I think he saw the writing on the wall and moved up to corporate. I think it worked out for him family and health wise, but he lives in St. George UT now, so I'm not sure it was worth it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yo. Kid 1 in school, Kid 2 goes TH. found some cool snaps of us racing last weekend!

Keep it on the ground, yo:

Not doing well in your moto is still not an excuse to look at the photographer, ha:

EDIT, hey, good pump!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The reality is my office couldn't be more centrally located, so there are a lot of options for location with MAX/Bus/Bike commute. We have even been considering Sellwood or maybe even some parts of Milwaukie, maybe. North Portland is getting even a little more hipster than I am willing to deal with on a daily basis. But there are some places I refuse to live (Beaverton).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

i wonder what the weight limit of the trailer is and how much that shed with a litter box weighs....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
On a lighter note, my alma mater is no more.

"The reason why this action took down ITT was because of choices repeatedly made by management for years that weakened the school, harmed students, and ultimately tarnished a brand that used to have value,"

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A similar thing happened to me at the Barbizon School of Modeling.
Ha, my sister went there. :rofl:

I got my AAS in Electronic Engineering Technology, got my first job out of school from the job placement assistance working as a field service tech for video games at Discovery Zone, then used them again (after Discovery Zone folded) to get my job at Netscape. But I didn't need their help after that as I went head first into software, not hardware/electronics. So other than the first job, I really haven't used much from what I learned there.