Quantcast

₩₽¥ Saturday ¥₽₩

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I keep seeing the term, but will admit I have no idea WTF a heat pump even is, maybe have to deploy google.

Mote than likely would never save enough on power to justify the cost, my heater doesn’t run all that much, and my electricity is cheap as hell as long as the suns out. Made almost a megawatt in the last 30 days.

An electric water heater is probably worth looking into as well for me, laundry, dishes, showers, that’s a lot of water that needs to be heated up. Wouldn’t mind ditching the giant tank in the garage and getting some more cabinet space either.
I have a heat pump with integrated water heater. It is a ground source heat pump, so requires an array of pipes burried in the garden. Most energy-efficient way to heat. As you have already solar, that would be a great option (as would any other type of heat pump).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have a heat pump with integrated water heater. It is a ground source heat pump, so requires an array of pipes burried in the garden. Most energy-efficient way to heat. As you have already solar, that would be a great option (as would any other type of heat pump).
Need to do some looking into a heat pump water heater. Not super sure it’ll work for me since the water heater is in the garage and gets pretty cold during the winter, and being on a slab moving the water heater or trenching out to the yard to run underground pipes like you have wouldn’t be impractical.

If NG prices come back down then it’s probably pointless to worry about until my current heater dies.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Need to do some looking into a heat pump water heater. Not super sure it’ll work for me since the water heater is in the garage and gets pretty cold during the winter, and being on a slab moving the water heater or trenching out to the yard to run underground pipes like you have wouldn’t be impractical.

If NG prices come back down then it’s probably pointless to worry about until my current heater dies.
My heat pump is in the basement with the water heater/reservoir next to it. Pipes are running out from there. The rule of thumb for the area that you need in your yard is 3x the area you want to heat in the house.