Quantcast

€€€€¥¥¥¥¥¥ it’s Wednesday and my kids are already barfing! §₩£’£¡

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In the office. have a bit of work this morning. will go pick up my boys christmas present at lunch (new alpine skis), then office party in the afternoon. tired.
decided to go home for lunch and make ramen instead of paying for incredibly shitty fast food around my office. after me and both boys, my wife is now coming down with the plague. just in time for Christmas. such utter bullshit. I hope hers is a two-day affair, like my boys, and not a two week affair, like mine.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Made an appointment at Les Schwab online, specified the size I needed, put in the comments "GMC Sierra 18" wheels installed " and they still pulled 17's. Nice work.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Dad got both.
Windfall Elimination Provision. It depends on whether you pay into Social Security or not. COPERA does not. If you have accrued SSI time, while paying into PERA, you will get both but SSI will be reduced. If you worked in parallel and earned full SSI while getting PERA, that's fine. Big thing is that you have to pay into SSI and most don't.

Windfall Elimination Provision. It depends on whether you pay into Social Security or not. COPERA does not. If you have accrued SSI time, while paying into PERA, you will get both but SSI will be reduced. If you worked in parallel and earned full SSI while getting PERA, that's fine. Big thing is that you have to pay into SSI and most don't.
Why do people not pay into SSI?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Spent a few hours in the dentist's chair this morning, so that was fun. I didn't actually have any work done, I just sat in his chair for awhile. He was not amused.

In other news, I have no idea what I'm doing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why do people not pay into SSI?
Social Security replacement plan. Really common with govt. retirement plans. There are two main types: pension and 401(a).

With pension, the SSI contributions instead go to the state funded pension. The state pension is responsible for growth and corresponding payout in the future. Usually that amt is right at or just above the 6.2%, allows for early retirement (pre-62), but doesn't have inflation adjustment (if so, insufficient).

With 401(a), contributions are usually much higher - 10-20% mandatory by employer and employee. Those funds are dropped into an individually owned and controlled retirement plan (think 401k). People give up their SSI for complete ownership and control of their money. This one, doesn't usually work out that well... Everyone is an expert and they are responsible for their own investing. Some people are terrified of risk and their money never grows. It's a really common structure in "rugged independent" places like CO, UT, WY, TX, etc. These people tend to be *shocked* that they don't get SSI, despite it being something that they sign on to when they are hired and get regular information reminding them about.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
School sent out an email that something like 20% of the kids are out sick. I think it was food poisoning courtesy of the CAF but whatcha gonna do.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As a state employee I have a mandatory 401(a) with 5% me + 10% them put into it until one hits the IRS annual compensation limit for the year. But I’m also paying into SSI up to the usual FICA limit—some state employees are PERA, some not.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I gotta drive an hour to BFE to pick up a pie for the wife. I get said pie, snap a pic and head home. I don't look at my phone when I drive, so I missed 2 calls and have texts "WTF?". I am half way home, sitting at a light when I see. I call her back and she says "what the fuck is that? There is a use piece missing". I had no idea what she was talking about until I looked at the picture I sent her.

PXL_20221221_195821458.jpg

Its the glare from my side window. Priceless.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I gotta drive an hour to BFE to pick up a pie for the wife. I get said pie, snap a pic and head home. I don't look at my phone when I drive, so I missed 2 calls and have texts "WTF?". I am half way home, sitting at a light when I see. I call her back and she says "what the fuck is that? There is a use piece missing". I had no idea what she was talking about until I looked at the picture I sent her.

View attachment 186631

Its the glare from my side window. Priceless.
you drove an hour for your wifes cream pie huh?

:brows: