butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
hallo all

sleepy I am. but work beckons. pancreas cancer conference day

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Word is our homeless guy that lived under the bike bridge has vanished. I noticed garbage radiating out from his spot when I drove by. Need to get up there with some trash bags, this isn't Oakland.
My locals were “entertaining” this weekend. I saw one guy with a cup of coffee and a paint brush very diligently painting every inch of a public trash can. Then I watched a guy walking down the street. He’d throw his shoes angrily and then walk to them, pick them up, and repeat this all the way down the block.

One of the three RVs on my street seems to be gone. The resident of another seems to be on vacation. He has a ton of parking tickets on the window and his usual collection of SUVs and motorcycle are gone. I wonder if he’s going to migrate back here for the winter.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@Jm_

Looks like it would handle like shit and massive draggy tires add up over the miles even on snow. You have to be hedging on the narrow range of conditions where this would work, but smaller would not, which in my experience is extremely rare. Otherwise you are stuck with it all the time. This is going to be a niche within niches. No suspension is also a dealbreaker.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
@Jm_

Kinda want. No good reason, just kinda do. I’m sure a test pedal might change my feelings about owning one. That and trying to find a place to store it and a way to transport it. Practical issues aside, it’s very intriguing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
FTS is at 12 right now. Having an argument with President of the karting League about why we need to add a novice class for Jr's. He insists that he need to keep shifters, which is 50-50 about actually getting people to show. Where as 25% of the Jr class - all younger and beginners - get black flagged because they are about to get lapped. It is a national standard, which is why they do it and I agree from a safety perspective, but why not drop one class and just replace it with another that has higher demand?

Otherwise, here.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
View attachment 217797

Landed in SFO, need some breakfast after having to walk one end to the other

Basic drip was all I could find, wasn’t very strong
And probably Folgers at that. Always carry a couple packets of instant coffee in case of emergency. The best is Cafe Bustelo. Which is the general consensus among thru hikers. It’s also the cheapest.

1725387173765.jpeg

gonefirefightin

free wieners
And probably Folgers at that. Always carry a couple packets of instant coffee in case of emergency. The best is Cafe Bustelo. Which is the general consensus among thru hikers. It’s also the cheapest.

View attachment 217798
Im not terribly picky about the Ultra lightweight coffee choices, the Starbucks French roast in singles is usually abundant but nowhere to heat water, nor get a cup in salt lake. Front country trips are much more bougie

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I was gonna say mountain bikers because, fuck, there is no one I want to talk less to than a mountain biker I don't know at the trailhead

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I was gonna say mountain bikers because, fuck, there is no one I want to talk less to than a mountain biker I don't know at the trailhead
But let's talk about our bikes and various accessories because there's no better reason to be friends than one shared hobby. Then maybe I'll start slipping in some fascist shit as a test to see if you're "cool."

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Im not terribly picky about the Ultra lightweight coffee choices, the Starbucks French roast in singles is usually abundant but nowhere to heat water, nor get a cup in salt lake. Front country trips are much more bougie
Fuel canister nests inside a 750ml titanium pot along with a stove, lighter, microfiber cloth and collapsible cup. Takes up little space and is lightweight. The only time that I have not had coffee in bed (on trail) was when there was a 400# bear near the shelter and once during the drought when I didn’t have enough water.

IMG_3630.jpeg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Fuel canister nests inside a 750ml titanium pot along with a stove, lighter, microfiber cloth and collapsible cup. Takes up little space and is lightweight. The only time that I have not had coffee in bed (on trail) was when there was a 400# bear near the shelter and once during the drought when I didn’t have enough water.

View attachment 217803
Probably be frowned upon to fire that up on the airport terminal.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Nescafé gold is actually excellent, but I rarely see it in the US, let alone in single serve packets.
Nescafé’s Taster’s Choice Instant packets are 2nd best and usually available in more rural markets where we resupply. If you haven’t tried Cafe Bustello, you should.

It sells for $1.50 per box of six. One “Outfitter” had bought up all of the Cafe Bustello from the grocery store and was charging six bucks a box because they knew how much thru hikers love it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Nescafé’s Taster’s Choice Instant packets are 2nd best and usually available in more rural markets where we resupply. If you haven’t tried Cafe Bustello, you should.

It sells for $1.50 per box of six. One “Outfitter” had bought up all of the Cafe Bustello from the grocery store and was charging six bucks a box because they knew how much thru hikers love it.
Will do!