Quantcast

──√v^√√v^── Yeah Mon, Monday! GMT ──√v^√√v^──

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
1674526459288.png

I got that far in stealth building mode. BB, cranks, headset, mock up with fork and bar/stem. Threw a seat on later...debating my choices there lol.

The ISCG tab arrangement is pretty slick--it is removable and keyed to the BB shell with some machined tabs, retained by the BB cup. I'm not happy that the brakes are internally-routed. Dumbest. Fucking. Thing. Ever. I have half a mind to just ziptie it to the frame. I do like the Magura Trail Sports I ordered, tho. Nice and light; hoping performance is there.

(But why do the internal routing at all?! It only eliminates the part of the cable run tucked neatly away against the frame...safe from snags, making no noise, not very visible even...)

Pretty much everything came in today but the Luftkappe I want to put on the 140mm spring for that fork. (It's got a 120 in there now...140 on the bench waiting for the goodies...and a shaft clamp that will actually work, since the plastic POS I got off ebay literally can't do the one thing it's supposed to do...)

Rear wheel has an NX cassette now but when the XD driver body comes in, that'll be a GX.

I think this is too much for downcountry--it's more like up-downhill?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a shaft clamp that will actually work, since the plastic POS I got off ebay literally can't do the one thing it's supposed to do...
it's supposed to keep the blood from flowing out, as far as I know

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Smart move.
Well, I ordered them...but at the same time I do have to trim the rear hose anyway, and now that I have a three-bike stable this is the from which one I am least likely to be poaching parts...maybe I will give the New Ways a try and just keep them in the event it becomes an annoyance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had no idea such a thing would hold up under real off road riding, but reviews are positive...ordered!!!! The godlike power to reroute cables shall, apparently, be mine.
while i have no direct experience with them myself, i have had them suggested by people that have used them successfully. make sure you clean the area where you are going to apply it really well with ISO first. worst case you use that in conjunction with a zip tie, i would imagine it'd work better than a zip tie by itself.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I had no idea such a thing would hold up under real off road riding, but reviews are positive...ordered!!!! The godlike power to reroute cables shall, apparently, be mine.
I use them for years, absolutely fine, no problems.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, I ordered them...but at the same time I do have to trim the rear hose anyway, and now that I have a three-bike stable this is the from which one I am least likely to be poaching parts...maybe I will give the New Ways a try and just keep them in the event it becomes an annoyance.
I ran those for a minute on my BMC when dealing with a shorter than ideal rear brake hose/setup. They held up OK for the short amount of time that I tested. I quickly realized how much I hated the ergonomics of the formula lever. That being said, they did OK with the range of movement that I had engineered in. I used some mastic tape in the center to get a firmer hold on the hose, as the factory width is quite large and will allow rattling.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I don’t find internal routing to be enough of a hassle to try and avoid it. If you have a magnetic routing kit, or use the old cable to pull the new it’s generally pretty easy, albeit some frames are more fiddly than others. A lot of new frames have internal tubing now which makes it child’s play.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don’t find internal routing to be enough of a hassle to try and avoid it. If you have a magnetic routing kit, or use the old cable to pull the new it’s generally pretty easy, albeit some frames are more fiddly than others. A lot of new frames have internal tubing now which makes it child’s play.
it's the disassembly of the rear brake for install/removal that bothers me, really, is all.