Quantcast

(▓ \̅_̅/̷̚ʾ️ ️ Gas Sucks - Ride a Bike - GMT ️ ️️️(▓ \̅_̅/̷̚ʾ

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I'll ask permission on this first: want me to tell you about REI and who they fund who fucks up bike access? Or their recent attempts to crush unions?
That’s fine, but there isn’t a single independent shop or business locally that can touch them on benefits and pay. As in, my entire family, excellent coverage, low deductible, health, vision, dental, prescriptions, mental health…$400 a MONTH.
Sometimes you sleep with the devil.
But they are giving fairly large grants to our local trail building groups, so whatevs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Your ideological purity is truly something! :D
No I just know what they really do and get excused for it by helping build mediocre trails close to town while helping to lobby for more wilderness in the genuinely cool places.

It's not ideological purity it's exasperation with the excuses just because they pay off a few small trail building projects. It's the IMBA model of controlled recreation so as not offend the mansions with a view.

I know very well the groups they fund. I have to sit in meetings with their massive lawyer base. If you're a mountainbiker, REI is not your friend. These groups exist on corporate grants.....that's it. And they give way more money to prevent legit trails than fund them. It's just a fact.

see.....you made me do it. I din even wanna

I can't fault anyone for health insurance and helping their family. I just might keep reminding you to steal shit while you're at work. It's just the right thing to do with an entity like that.

Just don't get uppity

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't really care, they gave a bunch to Teton Freedom Riders, which doesn't build mediocre anything, they build the biggest shit on FS land anywhere in the country. Keep it local.
and keep it only on the pass and nowhere else ;)

.....don't forget to steal shit

And no, sorry, they don't build the biggest shit on forest service land. Maybe get out more. Those guys rule and Harlan spent an entire day helping Jed and I build part of a trail, rode for 20 minutes and thanked us. Utmost respect. But maybe get out more. What they did in Jackson is huge I fully acknowledge that. But things are a little different these days.

You could have just stopped at "I don't care". And then you'll wonder why you can't have bike trails in the palisades in a few years.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
and keep it only on the pass and nowhere else ;)

.....don't forget to steal shit

And no, sorry, they don't build the biggest shit on forest service land. Maybe get out more. Those guys rule and Harlan spent an entire day helping Jed and I build part of a trail, rode for 20 minutes and thanked us. Utmost respect. But maybe get out more. What they did in Jackson is huge I fully acknowledge that. But things are a little different these days.

You could have just stopped at "I don't care". And then you'll wonder why you can't have bike trails in the palisades in a few years.
Genuinely curious, what region is pushing the free ride envelope now that isn’t at a resort?
I kinda thought 50foot gap jumps are pretty big…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I kinda thought 50foot gap jumps are pretty big…
They are. But you might want to buy a tape measure.

And dont forget to steal shit at your new job.

Also bike parks are fs land in most cases.

Im not here to bag on the pass. Its awesome. And yes, pretty damn unique. But that doesnt negate REIs massive contributions to groups that want to exclude riding everywhere else. You at least get that right?

Just be sure to steal shit at your new job. You dont hit "50ft" jumps and enjoy a good remote singletrack ride which is why its far more relevant.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The gulley thing? Probably not but I know a hundred guys who actually jump big shit who think what they ride is 9 times bigger than what it actually is....and guys who dont even ride that stuff are even worse at math.

But I dont care beyond you using a number to justify closing thousands of acres of existing moutainbiking and possible future expansion just because they support a very localized anomoly. REI didnt create the awesomeness on the pass. But They damn sure support groups that make sure another version will never happen again anywhere else.

Remember hearing about a bunch of shit getting closed south of missoula in the last few years? The boulder white clouds in idaho? This is real tangible outcomes driven by the groups REI sends hundreds of thousands of dollars to. Far more than what they kick down to harlan and crew.

So be sure to steal shit at your new job. And dont ever think about trying to speak up about working conditions

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just dont forget to steal shit

They squash your access whether you know it or not. And they do it by throwing a bone to existing infrastructure that got built without them as appeasement. Just know the game. Its the same shit imba built themselves on while cosigning tons of wilderness bills.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I restore everyone else's bikes. I am finally going to restore the drivetrain on my MB-3. All new parts! The original UN-73 bottom bracket works just fine. Its over 10 years old by my estimates. I have an UN-300 replacement in the pipeline for good measure. New cranks and chainrings also. I now have a very rare and new Sachs 7 speed chain with a very rare and new XT RapidFire shifter. Looking for a 12/28 7/8 speed HG cassette as the XT derailleur won't take a 32 Cassette. The rear Panaracer Smoke tire is old, and the knobs are peeing off. I will miss it. Looking for a new rear specific tire. Took off the rack and fenders to return it to Mountain use.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you know what's even funner? to ride (and dig) good shit and not care about its "status"...and work wherever suits you best. half the trails i ride in the better pisgah are not sanctioned or legal. funny thing is there are more bikers than hikers using them, and more bikers than forest service staff or their voluntards "maintaining" them. bit whatevs. you just have to not be an idiot while doing so. (see hick hucksters, arrests, northshore shit, 20 years ago, for reference). you people out west with "real" mtns and "lots" of land can carry on.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you know what's even funner? to ride (and dig) good shit and not care about its "status"...and work wherever suits you best. half the trails i ride in the better pisgah are not sanctioned or legal. funny thing is there are more bikers than hikers using them, and more bikers than forest service staff or their voluntards "maintaining" them. bit whatevs. you just have to not be an idiot while doing so. (see hick hucksters, arrests, northshore shit, 20 years ago, for reference). you people out west with "real" mtns and "lots" of land can carry on.

Fun fact: One of the hick hucksters also got fined for building shit in warshington too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fun fact: One of the hick hucksters also got fined for building shit in warshington too.
those guys are truly...special.

another fun fact: another one of their kids made a decent run at elite level dh riding a few years back before flaming out.

another fun fact. same guy tried to call out a buddy of mine in a local forum as being lame and slow. so, in the one and only time strava was ever useful, i made a spreadsheet of his fastest times, my buddy's, and "the drunken curators" on all the pisgah gnur gnur trells. i'll let you guess who was lame and slow...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm at 4 muffins but ran out of warm butter. The butter from the fridge is cold and doesn't spread like room temperature butter. I'm debating if this is the end for now. A stick of butter is warming on the counter for round 2.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

another fun fact: another one of their kids made a decent run at elite level dh riding a few years back before flaming out.

another fun fact. same guy tried to call out a buddy of mine in a local forum as being lame and slow. so, in the one and only time strava was ever useful, i made a spreadsheet of his fastest times, my buddy's, and "the drunken curators" on all the pisgah gnur gnur trells. i'll let you guess who was lame and slow...
The one called "Necker" ?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
says the guy who breaks the law everytime he rides a bike or dirtbike without consequence...

We have enforcement here. And they're assholes.
No, the guy employing trail builders and working with 4 county level governments to have maintenance budgets as well as find more budget for more trails since 2003. Sitting at the table with the politicians. That other guy is a dick. He’s holding us all back!

All the older gentlemen riding ebikes helps us get more traction with the politicians around here.

Last edited:

It is also possible to ride and not get tangled in testosterone fueled pissing contests.