Quantcast

□︎♒︎ ■︎□︎ ♌︎❒︎□︎ Foo kit Friday □︎♒︎ ■︎□︎ ♌︎❒︎□︎

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Had a wasted day today, probably 4hrs of driving in large circles.
We had a hydraulic cylinder re-barreled but it seems to be clocked slightly off so the hyd fitting now contacted a structural part of the machine and that's no good.
So now I know the fitting is a right angle, male male 3/8 BSPP O-ring seal to1/2" BSP 60deg but will now have to be 3/8BSPT to get the fitting to sit deeper in to the cylinder then the hard pipe that connects to it will have to be heated and adjusted to suit, fuck!!!!!!
I am not a hydraulic fitting person, shit all looks the same to me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Had a wasted day today, probably 4hrs of driving in large circles.
We had a hydraulic cylinder re-barreled but it seems to be clocked slightly off so the hyd fitting now contacted a structural part of the machine and that's no good.
So now I know the fitting is a right angle, male male 3/8 BSPP O-ring seal to1/2" BSP 60deg but will now have to be 3/8BSPT to get the fitting to sit deeper in to the cylinder then the hard pipe that connects to it will have to be heated and adjusted to suit, fuck!!!!!!
I am not a hydraulic fitting person, shit all looks the same to me.
Your daily work tasks sound 99% more interesting than what most of us pretend to do as work each day.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Your daily work tasks sound 99% more interesting than what most of us pretend to do as work each day.
It's a weird job, because we are such a small shop we have to be able to able to fix something from front to back so we have to wear many hats(sometimes poorly). I've done a couple of transmission rebuilds, we do valve bank reseals, my boss does electric motor overhauls(aside from rewinds) we do 99% of LV electrical work which is not all that normal in the plant field, our last apprentice got first in his class in electrical because he had so much more exposure to it compared to the rest.
My electrical kit is fuckin' nuts now, I hate people that butcher factory wiring so I try to get all the correct release tools and the proper crimpers to make it all right, you get to see some really strange shit done to wiring. I'm lucky that my boss is happy to have the job done to a decent standard even if it takes a bit longer, plus I get to wear shorts to work, that's the most important thing, hahaha!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all

I drove to work today after my adventures yesterday, in large part because my commuter e-bike has a flat. Ain't nobody got time to get on the acoustic single speed commuter at 6:20 AM to get to work for a 7 AM early start.

anyway, tasty Yuan Wonton goodness at Food Truck Friday tonight, and I read inpatient CT/MR/US 7-4 today from the confines of the hospital.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Friday you say? Guess I better get out of bed and put the trash out. Interview went well yesterday. No offer yet but I'm pretty sure they will. Also pretty sure I'll say no. Vacation/away time isn't great, benefits are only so-so, and the 401k sucks. A shit load of cash would help, but I don't think they are going to offer that much. Oh well.......

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
MIL1 (has massive gout outbreak in her foot and ankle): I took one dosage and the swelling has gone down. I'm going to stop taking it. I'm not comfortable taking a full 8-day prescription.
Me: you sound like the people who don't get the Covid vaccination, because they're not comfortable with it.
MIL1: I'm going to call the Dr about it today.
Me: what is the soonest you can talk with her?
MIL1: late afternoon
Me: so you're missing a full dosage today?
Mil1: [no response in 1.5hrs]

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MIL1 (has massive gout outbreak in her foot and ankle): I took one dosage and the swelling has gone down. I'm going to stop taking it. I'm not comfortable taking a full 8-day prescription.
Me: you sound like the people who don't get the Covid vaccination, because they're not comfortable with it.
MIL1: I'm going to call the Dr about it today.
Me: what is the soonest you can talk with her?
MIL1: late afternoon
Me: so you're missing a full dosage today?
Mil1: [no response in 1.5hrs]
Stoney: Enjoy your gout!

:rolleyes:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Friday you say? Guess I better get out of bed and put the trash out. Interview went well yesterday. No offer yet but I'm pretty sure they will. Also pretty sure I'll say no. Vacation/away time isn't great, benefits are only so-so, and the 401k sucks. A shit load of cash would help, but I don't think they are going to offer that much. Oh well.......
Ask for more, you may be pleasantly surprised... In the spirit of the murican obsession with productivity, vacation negotiations are typically the most awkward, in my experience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

you know you can negotiate, right?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ask for more, you may be pleasantly surprised... In the spirit of the murican obsession with productivity, vacation negotiations are typically the most awkward, in my experience.
vacation is one of the *easiest* things to negotiate, especially if their offer package has less PTO than you already have

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's been ongoing. It just seems to me, and perhaps my impression is mistaken, that basically the only thing that they are really flexible on is pay. While more money is certainly nice, it doesn't buy me missed family time or powder days.
figure out the value of a PTO day, build that into the salary so you can take unpaid time

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Work called at 5am about an issue, jeebus. While declining that call, I noticed messages saying our erp system shit the bed. Ughhh. I think I fell back asleep at 7. :dead:

Now have pounding headache and am sitting at the docs office, for my mri followup appointment.

Assuming this headache settles, I shall be dipping out of work early to ride with some buddies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
had a rough night. was tired from being up early yesterday, so went to be early. woke up about 12:30 as a result of excruciating wrist pain, worse than yesterday AM. couldn't get comfortable, so a double dose of advil it was. was supposed to hold off on it to start the prednisone this morning, but just couldn't. managed to get back to sleep, woke at 5, then got back to sleep until almost 9.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Hasn't ridden bikes since Saturday. MTB is outta commission bc of a flat. Went to put new cleats on Giro road shoes and stripped the nut. Anyone have Giro road shoes and can share your nuts? New running shoes, first pair since 2014. Threw down almost 5 mi before coffee today. Gonna hit the showers then slap the road. Gotta boogie around today returning pictures through LA. Oh and this morning, the crows were on point. Those birds made my week feel complete. Gotta play amateur bike mechanic this weekend. Meow meow. :banana:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Today is shorts day - mainly because I need to let this road rash scab over without irritation.

Saw a bunch of scorpions and a nice rattlesnake last night on my ride. It always fun! Luckily I scrubbed a bunch of speed while I was crashing and didn't land in any rattlesnakes or scorpions.

Happy Friday ya'll

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

The Oracle says I will be slacking off today, cause I deserve it.

It's a weird job, because we are such a small shop we have to be able to able to fix something from front to back so we have to wear many hats(sometimes poorly). I've done a couple of transmission rebuilds, we do valve bank reseals, my boss does electric motor overhauls(aside from rewinds) we do 99% of LV electrical work which is not all that normal in the plant field, our last apprentice got first in his class in electrical because he had so much more exposure to it compared to the rest.
My electrical kit is fuckin' nuts now, I hate people that butcher factory wiring so I try to get all the correct release tools and the proper crimpers to make it all right, you get to see some really strange shit done to wiring. I'm lucky that my boss is happy to have the job done to a decent standard even if it takes a bit longer, plus I get to wear shorts to work, that's the most important thing, hahaha!
:stupid:

I've spent an inordinate amount of time and money researching and accumulating the tools and knowledge needed to make any electrical work I do at least OEM in nature/quality, usually better. I have also learned that it is not feasible in a lot of cases to do so.