Quantcast

◇☆ Fuckit Friday GMT ☆◇

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yeah, pay off that high interest rate debt first, my bro-tato.
All high interest debt was already consolidated onto a HELOC, which is a stupid low rate. It's the only reason I am even thinking about considering quitting before the nut is paid off. And other than a single student loan payment, it's the only debt I have.

Unless you include the house from whence the HELOC came from... but that's a "different" kind of debt amirite?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All high interest debt was already consolidated onto a HELOC, which is a stupid low rate. It's the only reason I am even thinking about considering quitting before the nut is paid off. And other than a single student loan payment, it's the only debt I have.

Unless you include the house from whence the HELOC came from... but that's a "different" kind of debt amirite?
What sort of rates are we talking about here? Intro rate for 1 year? Fixed or variable? I give my financial blessing if it's at 3% or lower, fixed. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

You're too old for that shit. Get rid of it. :homer:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think it was around 2006 for me. And the mortgage debt will be gone VERY soon. :cool:
As of today Mint reports that I have a touch over $825,000 in debt inclusive of the mortgage. Thankfully that's handily outweighed by assets and the trend is good, but still an imposing figure.

/me will be working for a while more yet, yes

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What sort of rates are we talking about here? Intro rate for 1 year? Fixed or variable? I give my financial blessing if it's at 3% or lower, fixed. :D
A little higher than that, fixed.

NB: I haven't quit my job yet. Plan is to nuke this debt, then turn resources to (finally) nuking the student loan debt.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd pay it down quicker but the reality of the tax laws means that it's in my best interest to max out the various and sundry tax-deferred spaces that I have available. (Which I do, but which then doesn't leave a tremendous amount left to kill more debt after this and that is accounted for.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd pay it down quicker but the reality of the tax laws means that it's in my best interest to max out the various and sundry tax-deferred spaces that I have available. (Which I do, but which then doesn't leave a tremendous amount left to kill more debt after this and that is accounted for.)
i'll stick with my route of not getting into that much debt in the first place.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'll stick with my route of not getting into that much debt in the first place.
Medicine kind of forces this route unless one goes military. And paying the gov back with 4 years of service doesn't make sense financially, loss of freedom of choice of where to live and practice for that time entirely aside.
Doctor..... not dentist
Dentists have it even worse: generally higher student loan burdens (? not sure if true across board but anecdotally), tremendous practice loans, and then they make less than I do, I suppose unless they run an orthodontics mill. On the other hand their training is significantly shorter.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

HELOCs are usually rate + Prime. I'd never consider that a "safe" debt amount. Plus if the worst case scenario arises, you can't dump/default on a HELOC without likely losing the house.
This.

This. Mortgage if it's less than 4.25% at this point, anything else is a waste of money.

We carry some debt - Wifey's car a 2-something, the carpet from HD at 0% (duh), and the mtge - but if you aren't making active forward progress on your debt, then stop spending money and get that shit paid off. I'm not going to dig up my financial diatribe in PAWN, but that still mostly stands.

Order of using funds:
401k up to match - it's free money at 100% rate of return
Highest rate loans (highest, with min to everything else)
Variable rate loans (these change change place quickly, so mind rates)
Once you are left with your mtge, which hopefully is no greater than 4%, and any 0% loans, then start saving.
- Schedule payoff of those 0% to hit $0 right before they go up.
Start putting money into high yield after-tax savings, you need fallback money
$19000/yr into 401k.
$5000 into IRA if you don't make too much money
Other after-tax savings

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Smart move.

We're at a touch under $110K left on the mortgage. 6-1/2 years with no add'l principal payments. I think I'll make some add'l principal payments. I'd like to have it gone by May 2023 when the youngest finishes HS.
Mind your rate. You might be better off putting it into a 529 plan for the kid's college because of the tax benefits.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Mind your rate. You might be better off putting it into a 529 plan for the kid's college because of the tax benefits.
Oh - don't worry... we are going to dump whatever is required into the 529s to cover college expenses. JUST for the tax benefits. Although it appears that there may be rules regarding large 529 contributions... hmmm... probably should investigate. :D

We kinda got fortunate with the 1st kid - with merit scholarships and WUE, along with AP credits, we *may* have enough for his full 4 years in his account already. He just happened to select the cheapest option when it comes to undergrad (MSU). Surprisingly, with all things considered, Montana was significantly less than CU *or* Mines.

ETA: @binary visions - where the FUCK is our monocle smiley??!? :p

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh - don't worry... we are going to dump whatever is required into the 529s to cover college expenses. JUST for the tax benefits. Although it appears that there may be rules regarding large 529 contributions... hmmm... probably should investigate. :D

We kinda got fortunate with the 1st kid - with merit scholarships and WUE, along with AP credits, we *may* have enough for his full 4 years in his account already. He just happened to select the cheapest option when it comes to undergrad (MSU). Surprisingly, with all things considered, Montana was significantly less than CU *or* Mines.

ETA: @binary visions - where the FUCK is our monocle smiley??!? :p
You can carry his funds to the other kids.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Only CO 529 rule I know is that accounts for a given beneficiary can't be contributed to if their total balance is at $400k or higher. So just don't run afoul of that, Watz, and you'll be fine.

:monocle:

Edit: also it’s a deduction so don’t contribute more than your gross taxable CO income in a year, either.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
/debtmonkey

I've just heard on a radio that we are having the most days with measurable rain ever in April, 18 so far, 20 after this weekend. FTS. :mad:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Only CO 529 rule I know is that accounts for a given beneficiary can't be contributed to if their total balance is at $400k or higher. So just don't run afoul of that, Watz, and you'll be fine.

:monocle:

Edit: also it’s a deduction so don’t contribute more than your gross taxable CO income in a year, either.
Looks like there are some possible fed consequences that I should probably avoid, just for simplicity:

"However, to avoid gift tax consequences, federal law allows single taxpayers to contribute up to $14,000 in one year or make a lump-sum contribution of $70,000 to cover five years. Married couples may contribute as much as $28,000 per year or $140,000 as a lump sum. "

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like there are some possible fed consequences that I should probably avoid, just for simplicity:

"However, to avoid gift tax consequences, federal law allows single taxpayers to contribute up to $14,000 in one year or make a lump-sum contribution of $70,000 to cover five years. Married couples may contribute as much as $28,000 per year or $140,000 as a lump sum. "
The gift tax effects are only relevant if you and your wife will have an estate of over $11 million at your deaths. So again a nice problem to have.