Quantcast

~{○●○}~ 011923 Turdsday GMTee ~{○●○}~

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Fine y'all, I'll do the damn thing.

Back yard thawed enough that I could pick up the ever growing mass of cold, squishy dog turds. Feels like an apt metaphor for how I feel inside.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

It's Thursday which means veggie pickup and likely a need for cheesesteak. I am feeling rather fluffy, but I might still get a sammie

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:wave:

Got up early for a call with some folks in Germany, only to find out the meeting got pushed back to later in the day. Oh well..

Time to find some coffee.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Another rain/snowapocalypse incoming so I think I'll get some bread, milk and eggs before the disaster begins, and maybe also a few beers for a good measure.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ugh. Sick again. This winter has not been kind to me. Something something covid shelter something something kindergarten. Probably better tomorrow or the next day, today is brain fog body aches and congestion

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, please note for the record I was logged in at 4:45 this morning trying to get my shit running with the folks in India. Turns out they are also having issues now. My work here is done.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So fucking awesome.

I have been transporting this kid to school in a wheelchair for months. He got fitted for leg braces yesterday. Today he walked out his house with the biggest dam smile on his face. And at school the staff started clapping when he stepped out of the van. So happy for him.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The company outsourced our UI development long before I got here. We as an engineering organization are trying to get management to see the value in hiring a few more local devs and taking it back vs paying a company overseas. It's a weird arrangement as I'm not 100% on how it's structured. I know one guy we hired and moved here, another guy in Texas is the manager of the overseas team but I'm not sure if he's an employee or a contractor. But yeah, India. But it's also JUST the UI, which is awful by the way.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The company outsourced our UI development long before I got here. We as an engineering organization are trying to get management to see the value in hiring a few more local devs and taking it back vs paying a company overseas. It's a weird arrangement as I'm not 100% on how it's structured. I know one guy we hired and moved here, another guy in Texas is the manager of the overseas team but I'm not sure if he's an employee or a contractor. But yeah, India. But it's also JUST the UI, which is awful by the way.

I work with a team in India and it is a PITA. They require explicit instructions, are afraid to voice their own opinion, hides problems to save face, and anyone who is good leaves within a few months. Not to mention the stupid early meetings.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I work with a team in India and it is a PITA. They require explicit instructions, are afraid to voice their own opinion, hides problems to save face, and anyone who is good leaves within a few months. Not to mention the stupid early meetings.
I don't think those problems are exclusive to India...

On a similar note, pretty sure I witnessed my first public firing in the corporate world. Was talking to someone mid-day then got an email at the end of the day that due to a "consolidation" they were no longer with the company effective immediately. Less than ideal given they were running point on sourcing parts for an important project.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think those problems are exclusive to India...

True. Just more-so than what happens locally. I could ask them to do an impossible task, they would accept it knowing it was impossible, then simply provide endless updates that they are "working on it" with zero results.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hey, man... nobody asked YOU. Perhaps you are going to get the tasks now...

:homer:
My team is already in a deep enough hole trying to finalize a design, get tooling/fixtures made, all the requisite quality checks, then getting production parts, having them assembled/verified before cutting into production by late-May. Oh, and someone terminated the contract with our current supplier before verifying we could deliver parts by then, so there's no backup. And the machines don't work without these parts, just for good measure.

I don't relish being a naysayer, but a solution to world hunger and peace would be easier to deliver.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's been my experience throughout my career any time I've worked with offshore teams. If you don't give specific instructions, it will be done the easiest way. Not the best, or most logical, or most maintainable, but the easiest.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's been my experience throughout my career any time I've worked with offshore teams. If you don't give specific instructions, it will be done the easiest way. Not the best, or most logical, or most maintainable, but the easiest.

It doesn't help that they have zero experience with the shit they are working on. Just a bunch of Computer Scientist majors that I am asking to write software for giant machines that drill holes that they have never seen nor really understand what they do. And I can't even show them a lot of the information that they really should know because of export restrictions. So it really doesn't make much sense to have them do the work, but certainly not my decision. However they are all better than the dipshit new hire I was given.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Just got a call from the kart shop... Clutch shoes are toast. Usually lose about 10% of power because it's not being put down. It also has a cheaper engine mount (already been told this), where flex will cause adtl loss, but only a few %. Back of the envelope, she'll be hitting track 40-50% more power.

And apparently the guys at the shop really like her, because she's a smartass little shit. Enough so that they were telling the owner about her when they were going through the kart with him. She will make my life difficult. I just know it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
14mi ride this morning, some moderately tech stuff thrown in without dying. Win.

Taking my son and his friend to Great Wolf Lodge for the night. Win.